Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new & nervous from TX

HI from North Texas, I have my initial visit with my chosen surgeon on Dec 1st. The 1st day my insurance starts. I have been looking at this for a year now, knowing I would have insurance on 12/1. I have to say I am kinda scared to think I will be giving up food, which has been my nearly only friend. I know I am looking at food all wrong, but its the truth, celebrations, disappointments, holidays, etc is was always food.

I made this decision because my Hubby was told he should have WL Surgery or be dead in 5 years, he declined, and doctors damn near hit the timing on the money. He died of a massive stroke from uncontrolled diabetes about 2 1/2 years ago(I've gained an additional 60 lbs since then). Although I have not been told, I am NOT ready to die & feel this is my only hope. But I have to come to terms with food or actually the need for less of it. It goes without saying my food choices are not the best.

I've been a "big girl" since childhood, and tried every imaginable diet, all working to some extent for some duration.

I have read where some have lost 10 - 25 pounds the 1st month. Can anyone tell me the reason for the big difference? I've also seen where some have lost 85 - 180 pounds the 1st year, again, why such a big difference?

Any encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Roni

I was sad to read of your loss :( but encouraged to see that you are not prepared to suffer the same fate.

You wont be giving up food you will just be eating differently. I think a fair few of us have been heavy nearly all our lives but as we get older the weight piles on and our bodies dont deal with it so well.

There are so many reasons why the weight loss for everyone is different. As with all things relating to humans we are all different and our bodies deal with food in different ways, we all know people who can eat what the hell they want and never put on an ounce, or someone like me who could gain weight just by looking at food.

Willpower is a part of this weight loss journey and sometimes we will need a lot of it. For me it was more about determination, i was determined that if i underwent surgery it wouldnt be for nothing, i was determined to get as fit as i could again and take back my life, which was slowing ebbing away both physically and emotionally. My willpower kicks in when i go food shopping, theres no medals for having unhealthy food in the house and not eating it, as against just not buying it.

When i first started it felt like i had mount everest to climb, i felt almost envious of people who had half the weight to lose that i did, but with the right surgeon, the right support and the right mind set things began to change and suddenly that mountain i had to climb actaully seemed possible.

I really hope that you can get the surgery you want and wish you well for the future :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches