Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had Lap Band Surgery 3 years ago. I never lost a pound. I eventually had to have it removed because it slipped. I can't even begin to tell you how devastated I am. I blame myself because It didn't work. I beat myself up because I spent over $10,000. on dr. and hospital out of our family's pockets. We could have used that money for so many other things. then I had to pay all over again to have it removed. I was told I could not just leave it in because it would erode and grow into my stomach. I had it taken out 6 months ago but I really couldn't even talk about it until now. The dr wants to put in a sleeve but I just can't stand the thoughts of going through all that again plus I don't have the money. I think one of the reasons that I am so devastated (is there a word worst than devastated) is because I had such high hope and made so many plans of what I was going to do when I lost weight. Is there anyone on here that has some words of comfort or advice on how I get over this and move on. All I want to do is lay on the couch and watch TV and sleep and forget. I am so ashamed of myself. Please give me some feed back. December

what were the problems with it? Why did you fail it?

You have to get up and get moving at whatever stage you are in, you cant lay around and complain, that does not help anything out. Get up and get going, only YOU can do it.

so sorry to hear about this, do you mind me asking why it failed and slipped? i dont know how much help i can be but i worry about this so much happening to me as well because i cant stick to the dieting and exercising even scaring myself into a situation like this. you defiantly have my support and i hope things start to turn around for you. they will start to get better just gotta stay positive. try to get your mind off of it and be more active slowly build your confidence up and start saving some money and get the sleeve you deserve it. surround yourself with family and friends that love you that is the best way to start

It is hard to understand how you didn't lose a pound. The two weeks of liquids pre op should've taken off a chunk right then. I am only two weeks banded ( yest) but I know this is more about your mental/ emotional state going in to this than anything. What kind of support systems did you have post op? My bariatric center requires a 12 week post op program that includes ( each week) , nutrition counseling, exercise , and a check in with the nurse practitioner. Plus there are post op support groups monthly at the hospital. You have to put the work in. I'm sorry you are in such a state. I hope you get the help you need. It's out there. You have to take advantage of it and help yourself.

so sorry to hear about this, do you mind me asking why it failed and slipped? i dont know how much help i can be but i worry about this so much happening to me as well because i cant stick to the dieting and exercising even scaring myself into a situation like this. you defiantly have my support and i hope things start to turn around for you. they will start to get better just gotta stay positive. try to get your mind off of it and be more active slowly build your confidence up and start saving some money and get the sleeve you deserve it. surround yourself with family and friends that love you that is the best way to start

I don't really know what happened. I pretty well stayed on the diet because every time I ate anything solid I threw it up.

I had to eat very small frequent meals. I went back for 2 fills. And I could tell no difference afterward. After that I thought why get another fill because they don't work. But finally spent the money for one more fill and the dr. could not get the needle in to the fill site. He said it had slipped and would have to come out. I was in shock. I didn't ask any questions. I just put it off as long as I could then had it removed. thank you for your comforting thoughts. I am working on moving on. I know it was my fault but you hang in there. You can do it.

It is hard to understand how you didn't lose a pound. The two weeks of liquids pre op should've taken off a chunk right then. I am only two weeks banded ( yest) but I know this is more about your mental/ emotional state going in to this than anything. What kind of support systems did you have post op? My bariatric center requires a 12 week post op program that includes ( each week) , nutrition counseling, exercise , and a check in with the nurse practitioner. Plus there are post op support groups monthly at the hospital. You have to put the work in. I'm sorry you are in such a state. I hope you get the help you need. It's out there. You have to take advantage of it and help yourself.

I had almost no support. I stayed on the liquid diet for the two weeks before surgery after that there was nothing. I didn't even have to go back to see the dr. He had a support group of people who had had the surgery done by him but it was so far from me and while I was suppose to be at work that I never went. I had no nutrition counseling, no follow-up from the dr. I have heard from others that there was a lot of support and follow up but I didn't know it was necessary at the time. Thank you for your kind thoughts. I am sure you will do fine. I am moving on. I am currently on a low carb diet and loosing weight. But it still hurts.

I did not in any way want my story to discourage or upset anyone. I am sure I am in the minority of people the band does not work for. I just wanted someone to talk to and I really have no one. Thanks for listening. Your friend and supporter. December

December, I don't know if the band didn't work for you as much as it seems that the doctor didn't!! I have read many many posts here and while every insurance & every doctor has different requirements and protocols, it seems like you had none. For instance my surgeon & insurance required a pre-op with a nutritionist and psychologist & those visits were very informative. Also I was seen 1 week post op then every 4 weeks (or so if I had a conflict) for this past year, I was banded on 10/25/10. At every appointment the PA & I discuss what I eat, how much I eat, how hungry I a, how long I stay full/often I get hungry etc then decide if I need a fill/adjustment. It doesn't sound like your doctor required or did any of that. If you had no real follow up, am I reading that right? It is like you didn't even have the band.

I'm sorry to hear how upset you are. You are not alone. I also am 2years in and it did not work for me. I had the surgeon remove all the solution and still cannot eat everything. But my concern is why they told you it had to be removed. Because if it did work you would have left it in forever. I wondering if it was for the money and they new you where paying out of pocket. I have worked with doctors my whole life. Thats what they do for a living making money off of us. So just because it didn't work you should of not had it removed. My doctore said , it could stay there forever. You just have a cat scan to make sure everything is ok. Where did you have your surgery? Well just forget about it and don't waste your enery on this. I know how disappointed this is for you as for me. But I'm still healthy, overweight yes but happy.

I had Lap Band Surgery 3 years ago. I never lost a pound. I eventually had to have it removed because it slipped. I can't even begin to tell you how devastated I am. I blame myself because It didn't work. I beat myself up because I spent over $10,000. on dr. and hospital out of our family's pockets. We could have used that money for so many other things. then I had to pay all over again to have it removed. I was told I could not just leave it in because it would erode and grow into my stomach. I had it taken out 6 months ago but I really couldn't even talk about it until now. The dr wants to put in a sleeve but I just can't stand the thoughts of going through all that again plus I don't have the money. I think one of the reasons that I am so devastated (is there a word worst than devastated) is because I had such high hope and made so many plans of what I was going to do when I lost weight. Is there anyone on here that has some words of comfort or advice on how I get over this and move on. All I want to do is lay on the couch and watch TV and sleep and forget. I am so ashamed of myself. Please give me some feed back. December

December I think there was a big problem with your surgeon. I was a self pay as well. Banded in April 2009, list some then regained. In March 2010 my surgeon (who couldn't have been more unsupportive if he tried) told me the band was full and I had failed. He told me to consider bypass which I of course couldn't afford. I went to a new surgeon this month since my insurance now covers weight loss surgery. I was set on getting bypass. He checked Fluid in band and it was nowhere near full!! He added another cc to what was in there and it made all the difference. I actually have restriction now!

I would strongly encourage you to get a second opinion. And you are not a failure! You're trying to get healthy. Don't give up please.

what were the problems with it? Why did you fail it?

You have to get up and get moving at whatever stage you are in, you cant lay around and complain, that does not help anything out. Get up and get going, only YOU can do it.

I really do NOT understand why people automatically assume that it is the fault of the patient when a Lap band fails. Sometimes it is, but the simple fact is that the Lap band does NOT work for everyone.

The reality of the Lap band is that MOST people will lose SOME weight, a small minority will lose ALL their excess weight, and a small minority will lose little or NO weight. It is not a perfect procedure, and the more people that have it, the more the bariatric community sees that the incidence of complete success is very, very small. Please note that I said "complete", meaning that few people ever reach their original goal using the Band. Most people will lose some, but not all, of their unwanted weight.

December, in your case it would appear that you may have not had the best Surgeon, at least in terms of the aftercare. The educational component of the Lap Band experience and the follow-up is crucial and can sometimes make all the difference.

It is unfortunate that your Lap band was removed before you were able to obtain a second opinion. Your surgeon was correct in that it was necessary to remove the Band to prevent ingrowth and erosion, but I would say that his action might have been a little premature.

To those out there who are experiencing less than stellar results with the Lap Band, I would suggest that you seek out a second opinion before you have the Band removed. You are NOT "married" to your Surgical Group andhis/her staff, and you need to exhaust all of your resources before you call it quits with the Lap band. There are adjustments and changes that can be made that might make your Band experience a more positive one.

Having said that, it is important to note that the Lap Band is NOT always the right choice for everyone. The various Weight Loss Surgeries and procedures are meant for different people with different eating and metabolic disorders. Many people whojump on the Lap Band-wagon would have been much better off with a Gastric Bypass. Prospective patients need to perform their due diligence and investigate ALL of the procedures before deciding on one. The Lap Band is being sold as an "easy, simple and minimally-invasive procedure that is right foreveryone"….and that is simply NOT the case.

The Lap Band CAN produce the desired results…..but not foreveryone, and people need to be aware of that going in.

December, I am sorry that you had this experience. I understand how you must feel. I would hope that you might be able to obtain some insurance in the future that will allow you to pursue the WLS option again. In the meantime, though, try and begin a process of healthful eating and exercise. You might be amazed at what you can do on your own. Many people are able to lose weight without surgery, and you might be one of them.

Best of luck to you.

S.

THIS IS A GREAT POST!

I really do NOT understand why people automatically assume that it is the fault of the patient when a Lap band fails. Sometimes it is, but the simple fact is that the Lap band does NOT work for everyone.

The reality of the Lap band is that MOST people will lose SOME weight, a small minority will lose ALL their excess weight, and a small minority will lose little or NO weight. It is not a perfect procedure, and the more people that have it, the more the bariatric community sees that the incidence of complete success is very, very small. Please note that I said "complete", meaning that few people ever reach their original goal using the Band. Most people will lose some, but not all, of their unwanted weight.

December, in your case it would appear that you may have not had the best Surgeon, at least in terms of the aftercare. The educational component of the Lap Band experience and the follow-up is crucial and can sometimes make all the difference.

It is unfortunate that your Lap band was removed before you were able to obtain a second opinion. Your surgeon was correct in that it was necessary to remove the Band to prevent ingrowth and erosion, but I would say that his action might have been a little premature.

To those out there who are experiencing less than stellar results with the Lap Band, I would suggest that you seek out a second opinion before you have the Band removed. You are NOT "married" to your Surgical Group andhis/her staff, and you need to exhaust all of your resources before you call it quits with the Lap band. There are adjustments and changes that can be made that might make your Band experience a more positive one.

Having said that, it is important to note that the Lap Band is NOT always the right choice for everyone. The various Weight Loss Surgeries and procedures are meant for different people with different eating and metabolic disorders. Many people whojump on the Lap Band-wagon would have been much better off with a Gastric Bypass. Prospective patients need to perform their due diligence and investigate ALL of the procedures before deciding on one. The Lap Band is being sold as an "easy, simple and minimally-invasive procedure that is right foreveryone"….and that is simply NOT the case.

The Lap Band CAN produce the desired results…..but not foreveryone, and people need to be aware of that going in.

December, I am sorry that you had this experience. I understand how you must feel. I would hope that you might be able to obtain some insurance in the future that will allow you to pursue the WLS option again. In the meantime, though, try and begin a process of healthful eating and exercise. You might be amazed at what you can do on your own. Many people are able to lose weight without surgery, and you might be one of them.

Best of luck to you.

S.

WARNING>>>>>

A big reason why the LAp Band will not work for some people-per some folks in my surgeon's office...

My surgeon's office has a policy that he will not treat you unless you pay x amount of money IF you had your band put in in a foreign country...

Why you ask?

Becassue his office has witnessed LOTS of incidences where people went out of the USA to get a band put in cut rate cheap, and came back with the following :

1.No Band.

2. A Port and no Band.

3.A Band and No port.

I am not joking.This really happens! If you are considering Lap Band for Pete's sake, go to a Bariatric Center For Excellence in the USA and have it done by a legit doctor no matter what the cost!!!!

And,how would anyone know if they got ripped off???I mean you can't look inside your own belly and see if the band is there!

[quote name=1.No Band.

2. A Port and no Band.

3.A Band and No port.

I am not joking.This really happens! If you are considering Lap Band for Pete's sake, go to a Bariatric Center For Excellence in the USA and have it done by a legit doctor no matter what the cost!!!! And,how would anyone know if they got ripped off???I mean you can't look inside your own belly and see if the band is there!

That is so horrible. My husband was born in Mexico and grew up there. Some of his family still lives there but I would never go to Mexico to have surgery. Not because there are no great surgeons and Drs there but how do you know which ones are in it for the money or to help people. The country and the people are so poor that it would not surprise me at all. A few years ago my sister-in-law (also from Mexico) went to Dr and he told her she had a cyst the size of a grapefruit and needed surgery, when she got back home she went to Dr here and they did the same ultra sound and said it was scar tissue also did MRI nothing but scar tissue. Very scary!!

I wanted the surgery so bad and no insurance and the thought never crossed my mind to go to Mexico as I just never would. And for everybody who did go to Mexico and everything was great and you are doing good I say count your blessings! I have spent a lot of time in Mexico over the last 31 years that I have been married and yes things are cheaper but is it really safe. I say no.

Also to the Thread starter, I am so sorry the Band did not work for you, I agree it sounds like you did not have a Surgeon who cared about aftercare which is so important. You have to put it behind you and stop blaming yourself. I hope you find something that works for you and you can be happy again. I think you should spread the word as to who your surgeon was so others will not go through the same thing. Good luck to you.

Cheri

WARNING>>>>>

A big reason why the LAp Band will not work for some people-per some folks in my surgeon's office...

My surgeon's office has a policy that he will not treat you unless you pay x amount of money IF you had your band put in in a foreign country...

Why you ask?

Becassue his office has witnessed LOTS of incidences where people went out of the USA to get a band put in cut rate cheap, and came back with the following :

1.No Band.

2. A Port and no Band.

3.A Band and No port.

I am not joking.This really happens! If you are considering Lap Band for Pete's sake, go to a Bariatric Center For Excellence in the USA and have it done by a legit doctor no matter what the cost!!!!

And,how would anyone know if they got ripped off???I mean you can't look inside your own belly and see if the band is there!