Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First time Stuck....questions?

I was banded 2/11 and just had my 2nd fill two weeks ago. I finally have what I think is restriction. I was fine until last night, I took one bit of pizza...first time since the fill and chewed, chewed, chewed and swallowed this small bite. The problem is it just kept creeping back up and I started having pain in my chest. I swallowed a few more times but I started sliming and ended up throwing up. I was very uncomfortable afterwards but just didn't eat the rest of the night. This morning I tried to eat my usual eggbeaters and turkey sausage and it just wasn't going down right, I felt really uncomfortable again. I didn't throw up and I stopped at the first sign of pain. I'm thinking I probably should have done liquids for a day. I plan to just finish out the day w/ liquids only to let my stomach calm down.....any advice???

Ok now that you have restriction here are a few things.....pizza is most of the time going to be a no no along with any type of doughy bread, dense meat, or rice. Everyone is different but those are a few that I have a problem with. #2, after a day of having food slide through your band at night the stomach does tend to swell and you get dehydrated which in turn means your band is going to be tight when you wake up. My suggestion to you is either do a Protein Shake, yogurt or oatmeal for Breakfast OR before you attempt to eat, half an hour prior, drink at least 12 oz. of Water. It should help. Take it slow and remember that although the amount of chewing you did before was ok, this is now a whole new ball game. #3 if you drink with your meals, stop. Liquids can expand certain foods and make it more difficult to go down although it would seem it would push it through. Congrats on the restriction though! Remember the band doesn't work for you, you work for the band.

Awesome advice Pam!!!!!

Whenever I get stuck and throw up, I always go to liquids for the rest of the day, it seems everything gets inflamed and nothing wants to go dow, its just easiest to do liquids.

Thanks for the reply and all the info. So far I've been fine w/ chicken, veal, italian sausage but now that I think of it I haven't had any type of doughy bread until the pizza. I don't drink at all during meals and I have to wait one hour plus to drink after meals or it feels like there's a air bubble in my chest. I hope the remainder of today w/ liquids is enough time for my stomach to calm down

Thanks Wayne. I can't believe the difference w/ this second fill. Getting stuck scared the sh** outta me. I hope tomorrow I'm back to normal. And this is why I love this site b/c I can get advice from people who have been in the same situation : ) thanks you guys

Anytime you get a adjustment fill or unfil. It is best to stay on liquids for 3 days, then 1 day of mushies, then try food.

Now if you do what you want, and it won't go down do to the swelling. Then you start your liquid fast for 3 days.

It goes pretty fast, especially when you know you are way to swollen to eat..

This is what we do every time where I go for fills, and it has not let me down yet.

The Foods now are going to be a new thing for you. What worked nice for you before may not work again.

When you chew your food, Pulverize it so it's like Baby Food.

meats are another thing that can easily get stuck. I use a dipping sauce for meats, and sea food.

Shirley.

Thanks Shirley I did liquids the remainder of the day I got the fill and the next two days then mushies on third day as per my surgeon. And I didn't have any problems eating or getting stuck until I took that bite of pizza, literally one bite. Needless to say I won't be trying that again.

I was banded 2/11 and just had my 2nd fill two weeks ago. I finally have what I think is restriction. I was fine until last night, I took one bit of pizza...first time since the fill and chewed, chewed, chewed and swallowed this small bite. The problem is it just kept creeping back up and I started having pain in my chest. I swallowed a few more times but I started sliming and ended up throwing up. I was very uncomfortable afterwards but just didn't eat the rest of the night. This morning I tried to eat my usual eggbeaters and turkey sausage and it just wasn't going down right, I felt really uncomfortable again. I didn't throw up and I stopped at the first sign of pain. I'm thinking I probably should have done liquids for a day. I plan to just finish out the day w/ liquids only to let my stomach calm down.....any advice???

Perfectly Normal. All part of the learning process. If you've never got stuck, you would not know how much restriction you have and that the band is doing it's job.

Not only do you learn what foods are not good for you, but that you will need to take very small bites, swallow and wait before the next bite. I've read about putting the fork down and waiting a set time before picking it up again. I have learned to to that naturally or I 'm in for a stuck episode.

I have been stuck more times I can count.

You could get through a slice of pizza, but it would take you an hour using only the smallest of bites, with adequate time in between. But why bother???

Also if you handle it well, it is not really a "Violent" vomit because the food is above the band. It is more of a deep spit up, or whatever.

Today, I was working clinics at a particular hospital so I had time for lunch in the cafeteria. Ordered a pork chop. Three little bites, well spaced out, and I knew I was finished, about to get stuck. reason is the pork chop was way overcooked and tough. Tough foods whether chicken, beef or whatever is on my no list. I should know better getting it in a cafeteria of all places.

But, another lesson learned.

If you ever get stuck, one way to speed up the process is to sip some Water. Preferably over the toilet because the Water has no place to go and will come right back up, bringing the food with it. same thing the body does with sliming, just faster.

B52 thanks so much for that reply. Although I knew eventually I would have a stuck episode when I happened it scared me. Its just good to hear some one say that my experience was normal. Thanks again for all the replies : )

has anyone tried papya enzymes when they were stuck?

I have never tried them, but I watch a girl on Youtube and she says that they really work. I have had a couple cases where I have had the chest pains, and I always say that I will get them, however I never do. I will be purchasing them tomorrow and I will let you know!

has anyone tried papya enzymes when they were stuck?

I always have papya enzyme on me. It helps & also tastes yummy :)

I had my first stuck episode yesterday. It felt like I could not breath and was having an anxiety attach right there at the table. The co-workers who were with me kept asking me if I was alright, which just made me feel worse. I finally just got up, left the table and went straight to the bathroom. It totally felt like the food was making its way back UP my throat and it was horrible. I knew immediately what I'd done, and I knew I had NOT chewed well enough. I put a piece of cooked vegetable in my mouth, but it had some green chilies on it and it was so hot that I just swalowled before even chewing. NOT a great idea, and knew immediately that there would be a problem with it. I tried swallowing some Water to see if it would make it go down, but it did not. I was NOT a happy camper, and will definitely make sure that I chew chew chew all my foods and watch out that if anything is hot or whatever to just spit it out rather than just swallow it! I will say that the food actually did NOT come up all the way. It just got stuck in my throat near the top and stayed there for about an hour when it finally went down, and I felt it go down all the way! I'm not sure what would've been better? To have actually had it come up all the way or what. I did have a slimming episode with it but it didn't bring the food up all the way up and out. UGH...... and I have NOT even had a fill yet, and the second week after sugery they had to take what little was in my band (that was put in it for surgery) OUT.

To be honest I didn't think I'd have any issues without having my first fill yet, especially since I don't have anything in my band either. But then when I was getting ready to go to sleeep I realized that even though there is nothing in my band, there is a tad bit of restriction because the band is around the top of my stomach and if the food is bigger than that size then it would get stuck anyway. DUH, if something is too hard or too large it wouldn't go through that openeing with the band on it period. Sometimes it is so hard to just chew like that. I see people around me taking such huge bites of food and swallowing them that I need to remember that I canNOT do that now, period. Sometimes relearning something that we should've been doing since we were little is just so hard to change. But change I will and this will hopefully not happen again.

I got stuck for the first time on almonds. It felt like an elephant sitting on my chest. I wont be having almonds for a while.

Had a semi stuck episode and used the papaya enzyme pills. I carry them with me just in case. They really helped me. The pain in my chest went away after I chewed 2 tablets. It says to take 4 at a time if needed. Good idea to keep on hand. CAT