Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

treated bad.....

I dont even know for sure where to start.....all i can say is i went for what i thought was gonna be a fill....well it went poorly.....my blood pressure was up the Nurse Practioner was rude basically yelling cause I gained 10 lbs....I tried to explain that my Endocrinologist said my sugars were high and suugar was spilling into the toilet in my urine....now sugars are better due to going on insulin pump and due to better sugars i am retaining some calories causig a lil weight gain. She said.....they are NUTS and yelled thats the craziest thing she ever heard....I tried to explain i feel i need a fill.....i am not getting a full feeling....she wouldnt even listen.....do i deserve to be treated and chastised for making a mistake.......i guess i just need to vent....so how do i know i need a fill??? and also what point is there in even going when she said i am at 6.5 and thats the max fill.........my band is a 10 cc can i not ever get more?? if thats the case why do i drive 2 hrs to go get treated poorly.....and when i leave there end up in an er for high BP?????? thanks for listening

WOW!!!!! If I only had to walk across the street I would have been mad. There is never a reason for someone to be treated that way. I couldn't have left without speaking to her boss about the incident.

I think that many of the band folks have medical issues that can cause problems with weight loss, and it is usually the reason they need the band. I take BP meds that make me bloat, my anit cancer stuff makes me retain Fluid, have hot flashes and jacks up my sleep. The Zoloft takes my appitiet. It is crazy with trying to remember what to take before or after eating to be able to let the band work right. As a medical person she should have known that.

I am very sorry you had this experience, many folks don't get restiction until they are at 6+ so what is she talking about? I recently got to 5.5 and only have restriction on some foods on some days. Yeterday I couldn't eat fish, but today I could. She needs to be better supervised!

I am at 7cc and I couldn't imagine having anymore in my fill- but you have to remember everyone is different. Comorbidities, like Diabetes, do cause complications- but there is absolutely no reason I could think of that would have caused your 10 lbs weight gain without "cheating". It isn't worth the chance of band slippage, paying to have it repaired and going through it all again. I feel for you- that is no way to be treated, but consider that they are not angry at you but angry that you are failing your band.

What types of foods are you eating? Are you hungry or bored? Do you push past FULL?

Hope all gets better- stay on top of your sugars and your choices!!!

I have reached a huge goal- down 40 lbs today. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

You need to complain to the practice director...NOBODY deserves to be treated that way and she is ignorent and wrong wrong wrong and knows nothing about IDDM and little about the band...don't let her near you again and don't pay yesterday's bill!!! Insist on another practitioner...man, I feel for you....good luck.

Mimi

Why didnt you say something before you left. People speak up for yourselves. People will only treat you the way that you let them. SO DONT LET THEM

I work in healthcare and there is no reason whatsoever to treat a patient that way!!!! Like someone said previously, make sure you report this to the office manager. They work for you, you are the boss!!!!

I am at 7cc and I couldn't imagine having anymore in my fill- but you have to remember everyone is different. Comorbidities, like Diabetes, do cause complications- but there is absolutely no reason I could think of that would have caused your 10 lbs weight gain without "cheating". It isn't worth the chance of band slippage, paying to have it repaired and going through it all again. I feel for you- that is no way to be treated, but consider that they are not angry at you but angry that you are failing your band.

What types of foods are you eating? Are you hungry or bored? Do you push past FULL?

Hope all gets better- stay on top of your sugars and your choices!!!

I have reached a huge goal- down 40 lbs today. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Just curious, when did you get banded? I just reached 40 lbs and had surgery 6/17. Good job! Keep me posted.

Rochelle

I dont even know for sure where to start.....all i can say is i went for what i thought was gonna be a fill....well it went poorly.....my blood pressure was up the Nurse Practioner was rude basically yelling cause I gained 10 lbs....I tried to explain that my Endocrinologist said my sugars were high and suugar was spilling into the toilet in my urine....now sugars are better due to going on insulin pump and due to better sugars i am retaining some calories causig a lil weight gain. She said.....they are NUTS and yelled thats the craziest thing she ever heard....I tried to explain i feel i need a fill.....i am not getting a full feeling....she wouldnt even listen.....do i deserve to be treated and chastised for making a mistake.......i guess i just need to vent....so how do i know i need a fill??? and also what point is there in even going when she said i am at 6.5 and thats the max fill.........my band is a 10 cc can i not ever get more?? if thats the case why do i drive 2 hrs to go get treated poorly.....and when i leave there end up in an er for high BP?????? thanks for listening

Muffin, I am so sorry you were treated so badly. I understand that many of us have a hard time standing up for ourselves after being psychologically battered by socieity for years because of our weight. But I have a news flash for you, we are both 55 years old and let me tell you that even though menopause has a lot of negative side effects, it also has a few good ones. For me, "the pause" as I like to call it, has made me a take-no-prisoners kind of person. I don't take crap off of ANYONE. Not my doctors, not my bosses, not my friends, not my children, or the men I date. I suggest you take advantage of your age ... there's more to being 55 than AARP eligibility! LOL If you are not a confrontational person I would write a letter to the doctor about the NP -- and don't mince words!

I have a 10 cc band and I am at least at 7.5. It is different for each person. This NP does not have a clue! I agree with the person that says you should refuse to see this particular NP ever again. Also, the band is not in place to NOT serve a purpose. If you do not have restriction (there are those that do not believe in "restriction" but I KNOW I have it, BIG TIME) OR a decrease in appetite then what on earth is the point of having the band? YOU ARE NOT FAILING YOUR BAND. Plzzzzz do not listen to anyone that tells you that, it will only serve to depress you and continue a downward spiral. Getting more Fluid in your 10 cc band WILL NOT IN AND OF ITSELF cause slippage. Seriously?? That's absurd. Read more posts and you will find people with 8+ in their 10cc bands.

Muffin, you are going to have to be the advocate for your health. No one is going to take care of you, but you! Take charge of your life, your eating habits and your exercise. Better eating habits will improve your blood pressure AND your diabetes. I was off diabetes meds within months of getting my band and went from taking 3 BP meds to only taking one (which I don't want to give up because it has a diurectic which helps with any Water retention I may have). Do your own research on diabetes and how to lower your BG levels. There is a great forum: "diabetesforum.com", the people there are very knowlegeable and helpful. When you return for your next lapband appointment be armed with knowledge. And, if anyone yells at you ... wait until they are done and then calmly (if possible) LET THEM HAVE IT!

You have support here on this forum. Keep reading, we are here for you.

Ultimately, you may need to look into changing docs, but that should be a last resort because I hear it is a difficult task.

All the best to you on your journey.

~Fran