Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many days off work?

Hi everybody! Im new to LBT. My surgery date is Set. 23, & Im beyond excited! I just started my job not too long ago & dont have very much sick time accumulated. What should I excpect? Will I be in a lot of pain? I've read different people's posts, some say its not bad...and other's say its the worst pain in the world. I sit at a desk all day at work, so I dont move around a whole lot.

Congratulations on taking this exciting step!

I had my surgery on a Thursday morning and was back at work on Monday with no problems at all. I did it out of town and flew home on Saturday, and even trekking through the airport, etc. was fine.

For me the pain was never very bad. I took pain meds the first two days and then was fine. My doc had me taking 4 daily 10 minute walks starting the same day as surgery, and I think that helped a lot. The only real pain I ever had was in my left shoulder - very common, but thankfully it went away completely after about 10 days.

Good luck!!!

I was only off work for a week for my surgery. Honestly, I had a harder time with my C-section than I did for my Lap band. Be sure to get Gas-X to help alleviate the gas pain that settles in your shoulders, from where they pump your belly full of gas to inflate it during surgery. A hot Water bottle and gas-X were by best friends!

Good luck!

Hi everybody! Im new to LBT. My surgery date is Set. 23, & Im beyond excited! I just started my job not too long ago & dont have very much sick time accumulated. What should I excpect? Will I be in a lot of pain? I've read different people's posts, some say its not bad...and other's say its the worst pain in the world. I sit at a desk all day at work, so I dont move around a whole lot.

Hi LovelyT,

Congratulations on your scheduled September 23rd surgery---you will start looking fantastic in no time! In terms of time off, I would think everyone's tolerance for pain would be different. I had surgery on Monday, Aug 15th had to come into the office on Wednesday 8/17 (walked fine, but very slowly--I too sit in an office all day!). Then took off on Thurs and returned on Friday (walked a bit quicker, but still had to get up quite often to walk around the office). By Monday, I was fine. Hope this helps and keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers

I took 3 days off, and that plus the weekend was more than fine for me. I also do a lot of sitting at work, so it was important to get up and walk around every hour and a half or so - just for 10 minutes was enough to keep me from feeling bloated. It was easy to just do some minor things to "excuse" the walk (not that anyone in my office cared, but I would have felt self-concious doing nothing while up and around) - I'd go to the kitchen, refill my Water bottle, bring it back to my desk, then walk to the bathroom... that sort of thing. But I can't emphasize it enough: walking is the key. Every time I started to feel bloated or crappy, I got up, and was fine in 5 minutes. It was something I had to keep reminding myself, because it is contrary to my instincts - when I feel crappy, I want to curl up on the couch with a blanket. But dragging myself to my feet, even just standing and taking my first couple steps, I could feel the difference.

Good luck to you!!

These posts are so helpful. I am not scheduled for surgery for another month, but have scheduled 2 days off + the weekend, 4 days total, but I work from home so I am hoping this will be okay. Having tips like Gas-X, & a hot water bottle are fantastic. I have also read to make sure you get a nausea patch, liquid lidocaine (for pain), liquid tylenol, etc. Any other recommendations for post-op?

This is very helpful. I'm scheduled for my lap band tomorrow morning!! I can't wait, but I'm nervous too.

I just got my date today and am very nervous but excited. I go on liquids in two weeks and surgery is 10/14! Good luck to all September bandsters!

Thanks for the tips everyone! I love the support on this site. Good luck to all the newbies:)

I originally had scheduled to be off 5 days for the surgery. It was performed on Thursday September 1st, and I was going to go back into work the next Wednesday. However, when I went into work on Wednesday I felt horrible, which was a little strange considering the day before I had felt fine. I work in an office and just sit at a desk all day long. I ended up in the ER for the horrible neck and shoulder pain that just showed up out of the blue the day I went back to work. Doctor said that I could've been pushing it with trying to drink too much or something. So I really ended up being off 7 days before I went back to work my saturday shift and then I was off for my weekend of 2 days. (I'm off on Sunday's and Mondays.) I know that everyone is different, so really you should just learn to listen to your own body. But walking is the key, walk and walk and walk as much as you can. And for you women out there, walking with your bra on can be a challenge. That very small camera incision was right on the bra line so everytime I put on that darn thing on it drives me crazy! It just rubs on that and it does not feel pleasant. Doctor told me to put a bandaid to help the bra not rub on it so much. Gas X that dissolves on your tongue was only slightly helpful, it was the walking that was the key!

Hi I didnt have much gas after the op. After a few hours I felt as if I had done way too many crunches at the gym lol. I also have a desk job and found sitting for a long time was the only thing that caused me any discomfort. I think trying to move about often helps.

I took a week off from work. Had surgery Monday morning. Was climbing the walls by wednesday. Went into work Thursday but just hung around for a bit.. Ran many errands thursday and Friday since I had time off. Also took my mind off any gas pains I was having.

I just had my surgery yesterday. I feel fantastic! I came home and went to the store with my husband (I can't drive for 24 hours after surgery). My only complaint is the gas pain in my shoulder, but today it's much better. I have very little pain where the 5 incisions are. I scheduled 5 days off work (7 days total with the weekend), but I think I could go to work on Monday. Best of luck to you! and contrats! Carol

It is great to read about what to expect after surgery. I am scheduled for LapBand surgery Thursday, September 29 and hope to return to work Monday, October 3. So, I am going to stock up on Gas X and get up and walk as often as I can! Like LovelyT, I am beyond excited!

Hello!! Everyone is different but I needed every bit of a week off. I didn't even remotely start feeling myself until day 5. Best of luck to you :)