Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm still having the gas pains in my chest and shoulders. I know it will go away. The thing that is bothering me is where my port is ( I think) hurts terribly when I try to turn over in bed, getting in and out of bed and trying to wipe after I go to the bathroom. It feels like it's on fire and something is tearing loose. My regular nurse was out of the office today but the other one seemed to think it was normal. Any thoughts? Oh, my surgery was Wednesday.

Well, it depends on when you had the surgery, but if it's been more than 8 weeks I would diffenately tell the p;doctor. Drinking Gas X work to help the pain, but if you are eating fiberous food that will cause bloating as well. In anycase you should get to the doctor the pain around the port area could be due to scar tissue adhering to the port ring, only way to tell is to get an x-ray. I was going thru similar issues as well; however, the end result was that my gallbladder was malfunctioning it wasn't until I was throwing up bile that it confirmed the doctors suspecions to reset. So...you may want to get your gallbladder checked b/c that causes pain accross your chest. I hope this help.

Pitbull, you said u just had surgery Weds. Your port site is going to be sore as well as your L shoulder for almost a week. Or little more. Ur pain is normal, sounds like surgery went well.I'm surprised u didnt mention gas pains, small walks, walk walk! It will get better! Good luck!

this is my 3rd day post-op and the gas is flowing. the only issue i am having is my abdomen is tender and that is expected. other than that i am doing good.

I took Phazyme - 2 small red pills eased my gas pains as well as hot showers- 3 - 4 x day and let the Water hit on my aching shoulder. Both of these along with walking helped ease the pain a great deal. I had intense pain for more than a week due to gas. Good Luck - the first two weeks are hard but very well worth it.

I just had surgery 3 days ago as well and I am experiencing some of the same pain. From all I have been told it is normal. I am up ready to walk again. This is the best tip of all. My burning issue is the pain at the base of my esophagus. I am hoping that is normal as well. It feels like an air bubble, a huge one, is attempting to travel upward however no relief since yesterday.

I have occasional pain at the base of my sternum, like right before you get a hick up followed by a burp. Only thing is I never get the hickup or the burp. Or like yu gotta burp and it just dont come up. That and port site tenderness is the only issues I got. Not feeling sick or anything, I actually feel great and I was just banded july 25th. Has anyone else expirenced those quick pains near your sternum? Thanks

Scott

I have occasional pain at the base of my sternum, like right before you get a hick up followed by a burp. Only thing is I never get the hickup or the burp. Or like yu gotta burp and it just dont come up. That and port site tenderness is the only issues I got. Not feeling sick or anything, I actually feel great and I was just banded july 25th. Has anyone else expirenced those quick pains near your sternum? Thanks

Scott

I had surgery on the 26th and I am having these same issues. From reading this site, it sounds as if this is normal and my doctor says I'm fine. Good luck to you & much success in the coming mths.

Kelly

I just had surgery 3 days ago as well and I am experiencing some of the same pain. From all I have been told it is normal. I am up ready to walk again. This is the best tip of all. My burning issue is the pain at the base of my esophagus. I am hoping that is normal as well. It feels like an air bubble, a huge one, is attempting to travel upward however no relief since yesterday.

Sounds like everything is normal.

Ok thats good news! Thank you!

Thanks everyone. This site is a lifesaver.

Scott

Hi Scott, I had the same kind of pain you described for a week following my 7-20-11 surgery. When my band was placed, I also had a large hiatial hernia repair. Did you by chance? I guess it was normal because now 10 days post op that sensation has subsided, but still have the left shoulder pain.

I have found an awesome way to relieve that "need to burp feeling", stand up, relax and then bend over at the waist. I guess that puts enough gentle pressure on the lower stomach to push the burp out, and ohhh what a relief it can be!!!

I had mine July 20th (11 days ago) and the discomfort gets less every day and is pretty much gone in my left shoulder. I get a pain below my left bottom rib which feels like a stitch, but this is slowly reducing away. I see my surgeon in 4 days so will know more then.

Bottom line is that I'm never hungry so the pain is a more than tollerable trade off! Looking forward to getting rid of my full mask CPAP for severe snoring and knocking any prospect of Diabetes for six...

Hi Scott, I had the same kind of pain you described for a week following my 7-20-11 surgery. When my band was placed, I also had a large hiatial hernia repair. Did you by chance? I guess it was normal because now 10 days post op that sensation has subsided, but still have the left shoulder pain.

I have found an awesome way to relieve that "need to burp feeling", stand up, relax and then bend over at the waist. I guess that puts enough gentle pressure on the lower stomach to push the burp out, and ohhh what a relief it can be!!!

Today those pains were justy about non existant. Felt really good today, best day yet since surgery. Even went out and did a little fishing! lol I just hope I didn't over do it and be real sore for tomorrow. No I didn't have a hernia and never have. I am just wondering if it's just the band settleing into place, because like I said I barely had those pains today. Everyday that passes I feel better and better, I hope that streak continues. Thank you for taking the time to give me some advice!

Scott