Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello -

I am waiting for approval for my lap band surgery. I will be 62 in July and have breathing problems along with high blood pressure, kness that are begging me to loose weight, and legs and feet that love to shoot pain through out my body. My question to you people over 60 is--

do you think the surgery is working well for you? Have you had any problems that you might not of had if you were younger? Was the recoupe time longer?

I have a problems with choking right now. After my surgery do you think I will choke more?

I am just scared to death of surgery, however, I am also scared of what will happen if the weight does not come off.

Can you feel the lap band around your stomach? Are fills painful?

Thank you all very much,

SuzieQ2

Hello -

I am waiting for approval for my lap band surgery. I will be 62 in July and have breathing problems along with high blood pressure, kness that are begging me to loose weight, and legs and feet that love to shoot pain through out my body. My question to you people over 60 is--

do you think the surgery is working well for you? Have you had any problems that you might not of had if you were younger? Was the recoupe time longer?

I have a problems with choking right now. After my surgery do you think I will choke more?

I am just scared to death of surgery, however, I am also scared of what will happen if the weight does not come off.

Thank you all very much,

SuzieQ2

Have you told your doctor about the choking problem you have? That is very important! I had my banding done last November when I was 62. I have not had a single problem. I credit this to following the doctor's instructions exactly. I have lost 50 pounds and I hope to lose 50 more. Exercise is very important even if it is just walking.

Good luck

Suzi Q2:

I was 59 at surgery and terrified of surgery. My slot was #2 of the morning, and delayed about an hour....during which I nearly got up and left the hospital. Glad I didn't.

I had a rapid and uneventful recovery. Off pain meds the 2nd day postOp. In fact, none of the theoretical pain I worried about ever happened.

My worst day these 6 1/2years postOp remains BETTER than my best day preOp the preceding 20 years.

"Choking" relates to air way tubes into the lungs; "band issues" relate to the esophagus tube into the stomach....two different tubes. But tell your doctor.

And I feel at LEAST 30 years younger because of weight loss!!!!

Cheers on your journey.

Hello -

Thank you all very much,

SuzieQ2

It's been sixteen months since I had a lapband inserted around my stomach. I was 59 at the time. I do not regret having this surgery at all. Sometimes I feel for my old life but only for moments. I have had no problems with fills personally. I ask for a numbing shot first but I don't know if I really need it or it's just in my head. I am currently at 9 cc's in a 14 cc band and I feel very close to where it will stay for life. I can walk for hours and not tire. I would love to run but ankles say otherwise. (probably too many years overweight) lol Surgery wasn't bad; had four little incisions so healed quickly. I no longer take diabetes meds and my blood pressure and cholesterol meds are the lowest meds available. I, personally cannot feel the band at all. You can feel the port if you press enough but not in such a way as to make it noticeable to another person looking at you. Hope this helps. Sorry I didn't answer earlier. Hope it's not too late for you.

It's been sixteen months since I had a lapband inserted around my stomach. I was 59 at the time. I do not regret having this surgery at all. Sometimes I feel for my old life but only for moments. I have had no problems with fills personally. I ask for a numbing shot first but I don't know if I really need it or it's just in my head. I am currently at 9 cc's in a 14 cc band and I feel very close to where it will stay for life. I can walk for hours and not tire. I would love to run but ankles say otherwise. (probably too many years overweight) lol Surgery wasn't bad; had four little incisions so healed quickly. I no longer take diabetes meds and my blood pressure and cholesterol meds are the lowest meds available. I' date=' personally cannot feel the band at all. You can feel the port if you press enough but not in such a way as to make it noticeable to another person looking at you. Hope this helps. Sorry I didn't answer earlier. Hope it's not too late for you.[/quote']

TNPeg. I had my Lapland done in feb and I was up and going full strength the next day. I am 65 and have had no problems whatsoever. I have lost 49 lbs. so far and am happy with that loss. It's been slow but not hard to do. I never took one pain med after the surgery and went home the same day. Hope your experience is as good as mine. Good luck.

Welcome Suzie Q2,

I am, also, going to tell you that my lapdand was and is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I had mine done at 61. I will be 64 this July. I have lost my 100 lbs and am in maintenance. That is my biggest albatross, as old habits die hard. I have 5 cc in my 10 cc band. My surgeon will not fill me further because I can't tolerate more fill, ( he does abarium swallow to see if it will go down!). I havean arthretic left knee. It is mostly better. My high cholesterol, and high blood pressure are normal now. So, I take no medications. I have been taking joint juice, by the way as my right shoulder is bad,now. (but that is not weight related)!

I am a clothes hound and love wearing the new styles that are forbidden a "fat girl"; infact, I have to remind my hubby that I am over 60, and can't wear minis!!!I love the new me, you can do it for you and for life!!Karen

i was banded 11/2010 and have lost @ 50 pounds. I would like to loose at least 20 more. I have had not a single problem. I followed every instruction my doctor gave me. I also have a friend that had the surgery a year before mine and she had good advice. The only problem i have found is that my skin is not bouncing back. My arms are making me crazy and uncomfortable. I could kill flies with the flapping skin.

Don't push your eating and rush the recovery stages you need to go through.

Good luck and happy losing weight to you! :)

Have you told your doctor about the choking problem you have? That is very important! I had my banding done last November when I was 62. I have not had a single problem. I credit this to following the doctor's instructions exactly. I have lost 50 pounds and I hope to lose 50 more. Exercise is very important even if it is just walking.

Good luck

I am 65 and have had no problems with my Lapband. Surgery was nothing. Took no pain meds and back to my normal routine the next day. You cannot feel the band at all. I was banded in Feb. and have lost 68 lbs.

I had my band placed June 25, 2012 at the age of 57. I know without the surgery I would have had a shorter life expectancy. My brother died at 62 from obesity related comorbid conditions. I only wish he could have had the band, it may have saved his life. I vowed to make changes to my life. I want to see my grandchildren grow up! I want to enjoy the years I have left. Best decision and I did it for me! I am down 41 lbs and blood sugar back to normal. Make the change, you're worth it!

I got banded yesterday, 9/24/12, and other than incision pains, I feel great. I'm excited, I can't wait to see some results and to stop feeling yucky from the meds and pain.

Hi Carrie. I hope you're doing well!

I feel great! I'm down a few pounds and am now ready to start moving around more. I started Protein and I notice the weight is slowing down, but I know slow and steady will win the race! Today I begin "eating" full liquids, so can incorporate Cream of Wheat, yogurt, pudding, etc. We'll see what happens. Thanks for asking!

congrats, Carrie, and welcome to your new life! I remember the "full liquids" diet.

I feel great! I'm down a few pounds and am now ready to start moving around more. I started Protein and I notice the weight is slowing down' date=' but I know slow and steady will win the race! Today I begin "eating" full liquids, so can incorporate Cream of Wheat, yogurt, pudding, etc. We'll see what happens. Thanks for asking![/quote']

Thank you for your updates. For me, I also noticed the weight loss slowed dramatically once I started on full liquids and from there on. I "thought" the weight would just drop off me" on liquid diet portion of the after-surgery. Gosh, was I wrong! So far (banded on 7/25/12) I've lost 18 pounds, nothing for last 5 weeks. Talk about depressing. My doctors says not to worry, I'm still adjusting to this whole procedure. I had one very small fill and it didn't hurt at all...But, can't tell on hunger either. I get hungry at night. To squelch that, I have hot chicken broth with cut up grilled chicken and sometimes a small handful of frozen mixed veggies thrown in. Also walk on treadmill for at least 30 minutes 5 days a week. Bad knee. Had one knee replaced several years ago. Keep the faith, Carrie. We both WILL get there. Oh, I'm 69 ....

I want to write about issues since getting my band 6/14 . I lost 32pounds between the pre op diet and the surgery I have a sugar addition that is keeping me from loosing any more . I m not gaining but not losing. I have lost faith in the band and myself will be 63 tomorrow.

I had so hoped this was the answer for me. Anyone got any suggestions