Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"NERVES" - Surgery June 17th!

SURGERY this Friday the 17th .

Please any words of wisdom for the nerves I am feeling?

Thanks in advance!

What I did was I started writing down and thinking about all of the exciting things that I will be able to do once I lose all of the weight, like fit better in chairs, go out dancing all night, riding horses, riding bicycles and motorcycles, running marathons, rockclimbing, etc etc. I felt like that was really empowering, and then I felt less nervous and more excited. Remember that each step you take is bringing you closer to the healthiest you! Best of luck with your surgery :)

I was banded on Thursday, I'm 4 days out and am so glad I did it. I had so much anxiety before surgery that I was freaking myself out. It didn't matter what anyone said, I was a wreck! I was actually pretty calm while they were prepping me and was ready to get going. Before I knew it, my husband left my side, I was dizzy (meds started), had a short bed ride to the OR and moved over to another bed. I was out before I knew it and awoke to a mans voice. It was that quick! I won't lie, the gas pain has been the worst! BUT lots of walking, heating pad, massages and taking it easy helps. Day 3, I felt like a person again, had all my color back and was finally able to understand what I had been through and how happy I am going to be.

There isn't anything anyone can say to stop you from worrying or to take the anxiety away. Just know that so many others have been through it and know exactly how you feel. You're not the first or the last and it's normal to be anxious. Good luck! You'll do fine. Follow your drs. rules and read the forums which can offer a lot of insight and advice. Keep us updated :-)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE WORDS OF ADVICE!

I was banded on Thursday, I'm 4 days out and am so glad I did it. I had so much anxiety before surgery that I was freaking myself out. It didn't matter what anyone said, I was a wreck! I was actually pretty calm while they were prepping me and was ready to get going. Before I knew it, my husband left my side, I was dizzy (meds started), had a short bed ride to the OR and moved over to another bed. I was out before I knew it and awoke to a mans voice. It was that quick! I won't lie, the gas pain has been the worst! BUT lots of walking, heating pad, massages and taking it easy helps. Day 3, I felt like a person again, had all my color back and was finally able to understand what I had been through and how happy I am going to be.

There isn't anything anyone can say to stop you from worrying or to take the anxiety away. Just know that so many others have been through it and know exactly how you feel. You're not the first or the last and it's normal to be anxious. Good luck! You'll do fine. Follow your drs. rules and read the forums which can offer a lot of insight and advice. Keep us updated :-)

My surgery is in 6/17 too! I am really nervous as well. Let me know if you get any good advice or words of wisdom.

I was banded June 8th -6days post op and I gotta tell ya I feel GREAT- Day 3 I went to Walmart with my hubby just for the walk and to get out of the house Day 5 started using my stationary bike for 30 minutes feeling great~ :lol: I would suggest Gas X strips they work great - take a couple a day even if the gas pain seems to be gone- I did have tremendous gas in my shoulder for the first time yesturday - took Gas X Strip Heating pad - hot tea and walking did help tremendously as well as Tyleno. You will sleep all day the first day of surgery as welll as most of 2nd by 3rd day your soreness will go way down and it is uphill from there! At least that has been my experience so far Good luck and keep us posted~ ;)

My surgery is in 6/17 too! I am really nervous as well. Let me know if you get any good advice or words of wisdom.

I'm having surgery on June 17 as well. My nerves are under control, but I am so nervous about the after-surgery nourishment. I guess I just don't want to "screw up" and am very stressed out.

One day at a time is what I am telling myself. :huh:

Nerves are very normal...just keep remembering why you are doing this and you will get through it. I can honestly tell you that I never regretted doing it for even a second...the way I feel today compared to a year ago (at my highest weight) are light years apart.

Best of luck to you...you will do just fine B)

Saying prayer for you!!!

SURGERY this Friday the 17th .

Please any words of wisdom for the nerves I am feeling?

Thanks in advance!

Did I have pain? Yes. Was the week of Clear liquids hard? Of course. But did I ever wish I didn't do it? Never. Even today, I am 100% certain that I would do the surgery again. It's been a blessing in my life and everything negative that you may read on here is just us complaining. But I truly don't think anyone would wish they didn't have it done. I'm feeling happy, heathy, and confident. The nerves are temporary, but your health is forever. Good luck with everything!!

How would you rate the pain?? Was it excruciating?? I've just started my 6 month supervised weight loss... and I'm excited, but also very anxious.. I have a very low pain threshold!!

Did I have pain? Yes. Was the week of Clear liquids hard? Of course. But did I ever wish I didn't do it? Never. Even today, I am 100% certain that I would do the surgery again. It's been a blessing in my life and everything negative that you may read on here is just us complaining. But I truly don't think anyone would wish they didn't have it done. I'm feeling happy, heathy, and confident. The nerves are temporary, but your health is forever. Good luck with everything!!

LOVE THIS---THANK YOU!

Did I have pain? Yes. Was the week of Clear Liquids hard? Of course. But did I ever wish I didn't do it? Never. Even today, I am 100% certain that I would do the surgery again. It's been a blessing in my life and everything negative that you may read on here is just us complaining. But I truly don't think anyone would wish they didn't have it done. I'm feeling happy, heathy, and confident. The nerves are temporary, but your health is forever. Good luck with everything!!

I am scheduled to have my surgery in two weeks, however now I have cold feet. Some people around me are telling me I can lose the weight without any surgery and post op pain/ possible complications. They say : If there is a will there is a way. I am so confused. HELP PLEASE :unsure: !

Ruth, I'm being banded on June 28th... I have wanted this surgery for over 2 years. My daughter was married in 1999 and every time I look at her wedding pictures I cry, because of my damn weight. I was always going to loose the weight, especially for her wedding... DIDN'T HAPPEN. Every Summer for as long as I can remember I would swear this will be the last summer that I'll be Fat. Last summer I joined weight watchers and I was soooo excited because I swore that when I went to my family reunion this year they would bowled over at my weight loss.. lol.. DIDN"T HAPPEN... But Guess what... This summer is THE LAST!!!! I can loose weight, but I can't keep it off... You have to ask yourself what made you decide to have this surgery?? Are the people that are telling you that you can loose the weight without the surgery heavy or slim? I have been very careful to keep this surgery to a very few people, as I didn't want any negative influences. I have been FAT all my adult life, I'm tired feeling all the aches and pains, the lack of energy, etc.. I want to experience life as a thin person, so in order to do this I need this surgery. Ask yourself where will you be in one year if you don't go forward with your decision to have surgery? Are these people that are letting you doubt yourself very close to you? Do they know the struggles you've had with your weight issues? Have they seen you cry yourself to sleep because of your weight? Are they there with you when the Airline seat buckle is hard to do up? I'm doing this surgery for me... no one else.. How about you?

Brenda

I too am having mine on the 17th and I'm extremely excited but very nervous as well. I can't wait for the end results. I know where you are coming from but I know it will all be worth it. I'm going to try and get as much knowledge as possible on here and go with it. I wish you luck for Friday, I know it will go well!