Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am wondering what is the average length of time it takes to go back to work after surgery.

Jonirolleyes.gif

I wanted to take two weeks, the Dr's office said they usually only give a week and then only approved 3 days because they didn't want to provide any additional paperwork to my work. I took the rest of the week off unpaid.

i took two weeks off, and needed it. although the pain was gone, for me, by the 8th day... i was still very weak and tired because of the liquid diet and not being able to get nearly all my Protein in.

My doctor gave me the choice of one or two weeks. That was before surgery and I took one. I am on the one week point which would be my day to go back. Since this weeks schedule was already out by the time my release went through the system, it will be two weeks. I need two weeks. I have a physically demanding job. I have worked up to being able to walk 17 minutes at a time. I still need pain meds occasionally to keep my blood pressure down.

I don't know how a doctor can predict how much time it will take to recover ahead of time. Everyone and even within one person every operation is different. I'd say, take the max and go back early if you feel better.

I was told one to two weeks. I took one, attempted to go back the second, but ended up half time. Everyone is different. Plan for the worst, and hope for the best. I am fortunate I have a very understanding boss.

I went to work after the 3rd day... I sit behind a desk all day and even that simple I ended up leaving early... I say take 1 to 2 wks. like everyone saying see how it goes and return early if u feel up to it.

I had my surgery on a Tuesday and went back the next Monday.

I had my surgery on a Thursday, was back to work on Monday, and was at a General Admission concert (mosh-pit like) on Tuesday! I was a little weak, due to being on only Clear Liquids, but I didn't want to baby myself. I was at the gym, doing easy elliptical machine within a week.

I would definitely say everyone is different. It depends on how healthy you are before your surgery and what kind of work you do. I was relatively active exercise-wise before my surgery (active for a fatty, that is), and I sit at a desk all day. Plus, I needed to save my vacation days for another trip I took later in the year, so I wanted to take as little time off as possible.

I would schedule as much as you can (I scheduled the entire week off), and go back when you feel you are ready.

This is going to be based on you individually. I personally am taking off a full 2 weeks (initially took off 1 and needed another week - I'm 1 week and 1 day post op now and still having a fair amount of pain). Others have been able to return to work in days. My surgeon allows 3 weeks off for banding. So it's up to your surgeon, your job may also have guidelines to what is protected as well. So look into those things when you consider the amount of time. If you go back early, great! If you don't go back until scheduled, that's alright too.

I had surgery on Monday morning and went back to work on Wednesday. I didn't work all day, and I sit behind a desk. I would say I was ok on Thursday. I was going through a pretty stressful time at work, so I felt alot of pressure to come in to the office. No one knew at the office, so it was hard.

Almost a year out... BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE FOR MYSELF. I love my new life. Good luck!!