Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jonathan from New York City!

Hello everyone!

My journey started 6 months ago getting all the necessary preapproval stuff done,

1. cardiologist

2. sleep apnea test (2 nights)

3. pulminologist

4. monitored diet

5. all other stuff such as diet plan, list of failed diets etc.

I am there! My surgery date is May 16th and I am looking forward to being a healthier me, I just wanted to drop in and say hello to all of you and would love some words of wisdom, comments, concerns, or other tidbits you may find helpful!

Thanks again! and I look forward to joining the "healthy" club!

Warm Regards,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan.

There are quite a few of us here from NYC. I just had my procedure done this morning at NYU. I am kinda loopy right now, but wanted to say hello. You will find TONS of info here that will prepare you for the big day, so make use of it. it really helped me out big time.

Hi Jonathan.

There are quite a few of us here from NYC. I just had my procedure done this morning at NYU. I am kinda loopy right now, but wanted to say hello. You will find TONS of info here that will prepare you for the big day, so make use of it. it really helped me out big time.

Hello Dawn of dibley

how are you feeling after your procedure? do you feel the band or the port? how is your appetite so far? do you feel hungry? I am having my procedure done out in Syosset Long Island NY :) One of my friends had her LB done so I have someone with first hand experience.

Jonathan

Hey Jonathan,

I am muddling along I guess. I don't have a sensation of feeling the band or the port yet. i feel very sore internally in my lower belly, but i think it's because of the incision in my belly button. it just feels like everything is going to fall out when i stand up, but then the feeling passes, so it's only for an instant or two and then it subsides. I have zero appetite so far and it's been a struggle to get all of my fluids in because i just don't want them. i drink them because i know i need them, but i'm not very interested in eating anything or drinking anything at this point. they say that around day 6 or 7, your appetite will come back. i will just have to wait and see.

i'm glad that you know someone that you can talk to about the LB. i have some people in the support group at my hospital, but i don't know them very well, and they have already lost most of their weight, so they had the surgery done more than a year ago. i'm kinda by myself in all of this which is why i'm so grateful to have this board. it has been immensely helpful and answered most if not all of my questions.

good luck to you and keep us posted on your journey.

Hey Jonathan,

I am muddling along I guess. I don't have a sensation of feeling the band or the port yet. i feel very sore internally in my lower belly, but i think it's because of the incision in my belly button. it just feels like everything is going to fall out when i stand up, but then the feeling passes, so it's only for an instant or two and then it subsides. I have zero appetite so far and it's been a struggle to get all of my fluids in because i just don't want them. i drink them because i know i need them, but i'm not very interested in eating anything or drinking anything at this point. they say that around day 6 or 7, your appetite will come back. i will just have to wait and see.

i'm glad that you know someone that you can talk to about the LB. i have some people in the support group at my hospital, but i don't know them very well, and they have already lost most of their weight, so they had the surgery done more than a year ago. i'm kinda by myself in all of this which is why i'm so grateful to have this board. it has been immensely helpful and answered most if not all of my questions.

good luck to you and keep us posted on your journey.

well you will be support for me :) we are basically getting the band at the same time so if you need any insight don't hesitate to reach out as well :)

I went to costco today and they had whey Protein for sale, the Muscle Milk was for a 6lbs bag and cost about $35/40.00 but they also had another brand (which i picked up) it was a bit more expensive than the Muscle Milk variety but seemed to have better ingredients (Antioxidants and organic ingredients with no Artificial flavors or ingredients) this was a 3lb jug for $25.00 but I think it will be worth it!

it is nice to find someone local to me, (brooklyn NY) that I can relate to! How long did you stay in the hospital? what time was your surgery? when did you wake up? did you feel groggy? how long did the surgery last? when did they let you go home?

Feel better! and drink drink drink!

That's great about costco. We are members of Sam's club, so it's been nice to be able to buy stuff in bulk and have it at home. that way i don't have to spend a lot of money getting it in the little neighborhood stores.

it is great to have others in the city that are going through the same thing. i hope that maybe in the fall, when most of us have had a chance to start eating again and be off of liquids and mushies, that some of us can get together and talk about our experiences. that would be neat.

i went into pretty good detail here about my surgery day if you want to read about it. http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/60457-surgery-day-stories/page__view__findpost__p__1609862

i don't have the energy to type all of that out again :P

anyway, by the time you have your surgery i will be on day 2 of my mushies...i would be looking forward to that, but as of now, i still have no interest in food and i am still having trouble getting all the liquids down. i was able to get a little more in yesterday than the day before, and a little more in today than i did yesterday, so slllooooowly but surely, i am getting there. i hope

That's great about costco. We are members of Sam's club, so it's been nice to be able to buy stuff in bulk and have it at home. that way i don't have to spend a lot of money getting it in the little neighborhood stores.

it is great to have others in the city that are going through the same thing. i hope that maybe in the fall, when most of us have had a chance to start eating again and be off of liquids and mushies, that some of us can get together and talk about our experiences. that would be neat.

i went into pretty good detail here about my surgery day if you want to read about it. http://www.lapbandta...ost__p__1609862

i don't have the energy to type all of that out again :P

anyway, by the time you have your surgery i will be on day 2 of my mushies...i would be looking forward to that, but as of now, i still have no interest in food and i am still having trouble getting all the liquids down. i was able to get a little more in yesterday than the day before, and a little more in today than i did yesterday, so slllooooowly but surely, i am getting there. i hope

that would be a great idea about getting lapbanders together, I start my liquids tomorrow and I am really not looking forward to it... actually I'm dreading it.

but I know its now or never! i'll check out your page and leave some feedback! what liquids are you on now? i know that for 1 day after surgery its all Clear Liquids, have you moved on to thicker stuff?

Hello everyone!

My journey started 6 months ago getting all the necessary preapproval stuff done,

1. cardiologist

2. sleep apnea test (2 nights)

3. pulminologist

4. monitored diet

5. all other stuff such as diet plan, list of failed diets etc.

I am there! My surgery date is May 16th and I am looking forward to being a healthier me, I just wanted to drop in and say hello to all of you and would love some words of wisdom, comments, concerns, or other tidbits you may find helpful!

Thanks again! and I look forward to joining the "healthy" club!

Warm Regards,

Jonathan

Congratulations on getting your approval, and welcome to the forum! I'm 6 months post-surgery, and 60 pounds lighter. The best advice I can give is to have realistic expectations -- the surgery won't "fix" you, it'll just make it much easier to eat reasonable portions of tasty, healthy foods. Keep lots of variety in your diet, and make smart substitutions (sugar free Jello is great for quelling sweet-tooth cravings!). Don't get discouraged by set-backs or slip-ups, because they will happen. Just wake up every morning excited to have the opportunity to make good choices in your life. I promise, the pain of the surgery will be forgotten fast once you start achieving your goals. If you ever have any questions, or just need a few words of encouragment, please message me -- a good support system is key to making this procedure pay off!

Congratulations on getting your approval, and welcome to the forum! I'm 6 months post-surgery, and 60 pounds lighter. The best advice I can give is to have realistic expectations -- the surgery won't "fix" you, it'll just make it much easier to eat reasonable portions of tasty, healthy foods. Keep lots of variety in your diet, and make smart substitutions (sugar free Jello is great for quelling sweet-tooth cravings!). Don't get discouraged by set-backs or slip-ups, because they will happen. Just wake up every morning excited to have the opportunity to make good choices in your life. I promise, the pain of the surgery will be forgotten fast once you start achieving your goals. If you ever have any questions, or just need a few words of encouragment, please message me -- a good support system is key to making this procedure pay off!

Appreciate the support! I think the main thing I am worried about is the trip I have to take at the end of the week, my sister is graduating in Maryland and I will be there for the weekend leaving Thursday afternoon through Saturday... I will miss the Maryland Blue Crab but mainly I am worried about the travel from NYC to Maryland by car ( I am driving) I will have my dad and my grandmother with me so I am not driving alone, hopefully i wont be on Narcs and i wont have too much pain.

Hello Dawn of dibley

how are you feeling after your procedure? do you feel the band or the port? how is your appetite so far? do you feel hungry? I am having my procedure done out in Syosset Long Island NY :) One of my friends had her LB done so I have someone with first hand experience.

Jonathan

May I ask is your Dr, Dr Geiss? I too am doing all the testing and hope to get the Band soon. I wish you well and hope we can talk more about what the Lap Band surgery is like before and after.

I wish you well

biggrin.gif

May I ask is your Dr, Dr Geiss? I too am doing all the testing and hope to get the Band soon. I wish you well and hope we can talk more about what the Lap Band surgery is like before and after.

I wish you well

biggrin.gif

yes he is! great guy and his support staff is top notch. and I welcome any questions you may have.....

on a serious note, its diet time. i have 55 minutes before im officially on "liquids"

my "last supper" was a baked potato, a garlic,olive oil marinated rib eye, and some Tomato & cucumber salad. tomorrow will be all liquids!

wish me luck!

225830_10150187050578017_500918016_6949669_4394681_n.jpg

so today i started my liquid diet...

meal 1: 9am 12 ounces of 0% chobani greek yogurt.

This stuff is GROSS. after about 1/2 a bowl i had that upchuck feeling, its so rich and creamy and blech at the same time, next time i'm going to eat half of that and half of something else.

meal 2: 12pm 1 can of Progresso Light chicken Noodle.

Great heated to superhot temperatures, makes you eat it slow, I added some black pepper for a kick, i didn't realize just how much sodium was in this can! 1200mg! I will have to eat this Soup sparingly (High Blood Pressure) as I also don't want to dehydrate.

not sure what I should have for my next meal...

so today i started my liquid diet...

meal 1: 9am 12 ounces of 0% chobani greek yogurt.

This stuff is GROSS. after about 1/2 a bowl i had that upchuck feeling, its so rich and creamy and blech at the same time, next time i'm going to eat half of that and half of something else.

meal 2: 12pm 1 can of Progresso Light chicken Noodle.

Great heated to superhot temperatures, makes you eat it slow, I added some black pepper for a kick, i didn't realize just how much sodium was in this can! 1200mg! I will have to eat this Soup sparingly (High Blood Pressure) as I also don't want to dehydrate.

not sure what I should have for my next meal...

Hey Jonathan,

I'm from Brooklyn here as well. Wed is my surgical consult. I have gotten my approval from my PCP and pretty much all I've left to do is my psych eval, nutrition consult and pre-op bloods and chest x-ray. Fortunately, I work at Columbia Presby. Hosp, so this will all get done pretty quickly. I'm looking at surgery during the first week of June. Yipes! It's creeping up close! Hope liquids are going ok for you. I look forward to hearing your progress.

-Ivy