Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I see places refer to a Lap-band from J&J and I assume they mean a Realize band. I'm curious if anybody has gotten a Realize-C band and where/whom you got it from? Thanks for sharing, -SB

J & J makes Lap Band, Allergan makes Realize. Lap Band makes commercials so that's what people know. Kind of like when you say Scotch Tape or Klennex.

J & J makes Lap Band, Allergan makes Realize. Lap Band makes commercials so that's what people know. Kind of like when you say Scotch Tape or Klennex.

I think you have that backward. Checking the websites shows Allergan makes LAP-BAND, and a J&J unit makes Realize. As I'm doing the research I want to make sure I know what's being installed where and by whom. So I can find a proper fill doctor, etc. Thanks, -SB

I think you have that backward. Checking the websites shows Allergan makes LAP-BAND, and a J&J unit makes Realize. As I'm doing the research I want to make sure I know what's being installed where and by whom. So I can find a proper fill doctor, etc. Thanks, -SB

Your rite.

I'm sorry but if you already knew why are you asking?

I didn't ask which was which, I asked who got the Realize/Realize-C band and where? I just said I assume those saying J&J LAP-BAND meant Realize band. So I have one person who actually read and answered so far and I thank them profusely! I can start digging there. -SB

The realize band from J&J had a recent voluntary recall - something with about tubing. I believe no matter which one you choose will have pros and cons. The realize band is noted to have a smaller port(?) below the skin so it doesn't look noticeable after you have lost weight. Less slippage is always something to think about. Talk to your surgeon before you discount either band. I believe if you have a surgeon who is well experienced, you commit to stay on your post-op liquid diet properly, either band will be successful. Best of luck Sonny's Boy!

Hi,

I have a realize band. It was put in at EMMC in Bangor Me. Its been 1 1/2 years since I was banded so I cant remember if its the C or not, I can tell you it holds a total of 9cc's, and I havent had a hard time with it. No slippage, no erosion.

I have a total of 8.25cc's in it and finally got good restriction. That doesnt mean it will take you that much to get restriction. I also like it because the port has a much lower profile than the lap band. There are definately pros and cons to both types but I cant complain with mine.

PS, I guess im off to find out which one I have now,lol. You made me curious. getting old,,,losing my memeory. Take care and good luck!

I have a Realize band but I have no idea if it is C??

My surgery was in Palm Springs.

Thanks so much for the input! I read about the recall as that didn't bother me but I'm really interested in the lower port profile. The other numbers (slippage, etc.) statistically seem all within the range of error. However, the total installed base for the US is HUGELY thrown toward the LAP-BAND. My own Dr. wasn't even aware of Realize so I'm waiting to hear back from his office too. The last time I felt this many butterflies trying to get up the nerve for a decision and action was when I first met my wife. wink.gif

- Sonny's "Big" Boy

I have Realize C Band. My surgery date and doc is in my signature.

lap band VS realize band

If you want to see the difference,,, check this out.

As far as I can tell, there is little difference anymore between the Lap and the Realize other than perhaps the amount of fill they each take. I have the Realize. My surgeon said he used to do Lap, but liked the low profile port so switched to the Realize. However, it's my understanding that the Lap now has a low profile port as well. I had mine done at Barix in Ann Arbor MI.