Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Atkins anyone?

Is anyone following the Atkins plan for before or after Lapband surgery? Im thinking about following a low carb until my surgery pre op starts and then again after surgery. Anyone doing this?

Oh yeah...Atkins is my long time buddy. The only thing that ever worked at taking off the weight. I use his 1972 book as I think his later books (some even written after his death) seriously compromised on the carbs...most likely to make it marketable. Not surprising since the current owners of the Atkins trademark also own Cinnabon.:blink: Atkins is probably rolling over in his grave.

In my opinion Atkins is too high in fat. I ate low carb but also low fat when I was loosing. I lost 107 pounds in about 10 months. Now that I am maintaining I pretty much follow south beach. It allows for healthy carbs (whole grains, fruit, beans) and healthy fats (such as salmon, nuts, avacado). I highly reccomend getting the book. I believe it to be a healthy well balanced diet. Good luck!

Yes! I've kept mushie food low carb (cauliflower, Beans, etc) now I'm enjoying my first eggs today. I plan on keeping low carb for life. The band makes it easier because then I just can't pig out on bread and sweets. I lost 100 lbs 10 years ago with lo-carb and my husband follows it too.

Yeah i was on it a while back and lost a ton of weight too. Went down to 165lbs. I love Atkins. Im glad im back on it. I do see your point about the fat being too high but what they say is that the fat helps to keep your body in "ketosis". Something to do with burning fat in Ketosis. I dont really know. I was going to get the new book. unsure.gif

Oh yeah...Atkins is my long time buddy. The only thing that ever worked at taking off the weight. I use his 1972 book as I think his later books (some even written after his death) seriously compromised on the carbs...most likely to make it marketable. Not surprising since the current owners of the Atkins trademark also own Cinnabon.:blink: Atkins is probably rolling over in his grave.

WOW! They seriously own Cinnabon?!!!! Too funny! That cracks me up!!! tongue.gif

Hello high cholesterol!

Not at all. Within 6 months of starting Atkins all of my lab works were in normal range. Both my HDL and LDL were in normal ranges. My blood sugars were slowly came down to normal. As of this week, I am off all insulin. These results are typical of people who eat a low carb diet consistently. Keep in mind I am not talking about people who low carb 5 days a week and then eat 'normally' 2 days a week or people who rollercoast with low carb/high carb diets.

Eating a high carb, high fat diet is a problem. Eating a low carb, high fat diet is not. My carbs are about 30gm per day and my fat grams are around 70-90 depending on whether or not I put cream in my coffee.

I love Atkins. I eat bacon and eggs every morning for Breakfast. chicken salad made with real mayo and a Tomato or cup of lettuce for lunch. Steak and salad with real oil and vinegar or some other type of low carb vegie (green Beans, broccoli, etc.) with cheese sauce or butter although I have to admit my usual choice is a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.< /p>

I keep my carbs around 30gm per day and Protein around 60-70 just because I read somewhere that excess Protein can act like carbs (in affecting insulin response) and I found this to be true for me. I broke a several month stall by lowering my protein. As a result of monitoring my carbs and protein, my calories come in around 1200-1300 on most days. I've had a few days at 1500, but that's not usual.

Www.atkinsexposed.org lists all the organizations opposed to the Atkins Diet with citations to where the information can be found. The US Surgeon General, AMA and many others believe it to be dangerous.

I know it does work - I've done it several times. I just can't see how cooking in butter, using heavy cream and eating very few vegetables can be a healthy way to go. Obviously, this is just my opinion. My cholesterol went up on Atkins and it took me three months of oatmeal for Breakfast to get it back down!

We might just have to agree to disagree.

I always had better success folowing a South Beach kind of diet - high Protein, low glycemic carbs. It felt more balanced than Atkins, which was so anti-carb.

As one nurse bluntly put it to me, "You need sugar for your brain, you idiot!" LOL! :)

Dave

My cholesterol went up on Atkins and it took me three months of oatmeal for Breakfast to get it back down!

We might just have to agree to disagree.

Yes, I learned long ago that a person is either an advocate of Atkins or not.

I've been doing Atkins since 1972. When I stayed on it, I lost weight, felt great, labs all within normal range. When I allowed myself to be convinced by my doctors or other 'experts' that this was an unhealthy way of eating, I'd gain weight, feel horrible and labs would be outside the normal range. I starved on the Optifast Diet and didn't lose anything. I gained 12 lbs the first month on Weight Watchers. Only on Atkins did I have any success...but I was stupid and allowed the 'experts' to convince me it was a foolish diet.

Now here I am almost 40 years later with (until recently) poor HDL/LDL and an insulin dependent diabetic. Thank you AMA and ADA. In the last month I had lab work done and my HDL/LDL are back in normal range...thanks to Atkins. This past week I was able to go off all my insulin...thanks to Atkins. I know many many people who have been Atkins advocates for at least a decade, some more than 2 decades. Many were diabetic walking heart attacks...and now their doctors (who still are not sold on Atkins) tell them to keep on doing whatever they're doing.

Just goes to show that even with the proof in front of them, these members of the AMA *still* won't admit that Atkins is a healthy way to eat.

Personally, I'll put my faith in my own lab works...and those of other long time low carbers...rather than the AMA and ADA who have their own agendas...which don't always coincide with the health of their patients.

I always had better success folowing a South Beach kind of diet - high Protein, low glycemic carbs. It felt more balanced than Atkins, which was so anti-carb.

As one nurse bluntly put it to me, "You need sugar for your brain, you idiot!" LOL! :)

Dave

Atkins is not anti-carb. See this is the type of thing that just makes me crazy. I'm guessing you haven't even read his book because if you had, you would never have made this statement.

Here's a short version that shows how very similar they are...and their differences. :)

Ok...I'm not going to get into a war about this. I would, however, suggest that before anyone makes judgments about Atkins, they at least read the book...and then please don't post how bad it is for you until you've followed it *consistently* for at least a year. For those interested, you might want to check out one of the low carb forums and talk to people who actually live this lifestyle.

<END>

I've read the book and followed it. I think Dr. Atkins had more of an agenda in selling books than the US Surgeon General but that's my opinion.

I don't want to argue about it either so I will leave it at that.

I've read the book and followed it. I think Dr. Atkins had more of an agenda in selling books than the US Surgeon General but that's my opinion.

I don't want to argue about it either so I will leave it at that.