Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will I feel normal again?

Hello to all of my fellow banders! I was just banded on Monday, November 22nd and am so ready to feel normal again. My gas pain has not been too bad. I am just sore at the incision sites and my back is sore from sleeping on it. I just want to feel normal again and be in my new routine. How long should I expect that to take?

I have a feeling that normal is a long way off for us if we ever get back to what we knew as 'normal' again. Quite possibly we don't want to go back there. Maybe it's just all these changes talking but it sure is different this side of the band. I will say that we are in a transition period so that's going to happen as long as we are healing and getting used to all the changes in our bodies. I don't have an extreme amount of pain or anything. My issue lies in my head saying 'you have to eat!' and my stomach saying 'stop feeding me!' I am not doing well at pacing myself and listening to my body and I'm paying for it dearly.

I think in 2-3 weeks we should have a good routine going and hopefully some what of the learning curve shaved, but then we'll move onto mushies and there will be new changes and then new regulars and then new changes and then waiting for proper restriction and new changes with that. We'll be evolving for a while. Maybe 6 months from now - we will get it all down the way we wanted it to be.

That is what I am afraid of....the long wait! Like you, I am not in a lot of pain. My problem is the same as yours. I know I have to get in that Protein, but I am tired of drinking it! I really want to eat something of substance, but I am even scared to do that!

I was banded on November 17th and felt the exact same as you. Gas pains were not unbearable, and by back was the sorest part. But it has been a week now and today is the first day that I have no pain. I am feeling so much better. My doctor likes to have his patients go onto solids as soon as possible and i think that that has helped me mentally get over not eating as much. I have been getting really tired in the afternoon but my surgeon says that it is normal. But just letting you know that the first three days are the worst and when a week comes round you should be feeling closer to normal. And I am sure that after another week or so, you will be fine. <br>Congrats on your surgery and good luck for your first week!<br>Lilly <br><br>

eyes....you must be reading my mind! i wonder if i will ever eat regular food again.....i just want this phase to pass quickly.

wakeuprn....I couldn't agree more. I have been battling anxiety all day today as I have come to the realization that my life is about to drastically change! If I could eat solid foods and get on a routine, I think I would feel much better.

lily- thanks for the encouragement....right now i am questioning everything and i really thought i was prepared for this........boy was i wrong! i am glad to hear that things will get better.

eyes- i am glad we have others to share this crazy time with!

Hello to all of my fellow banders! I was just banded on Monday, November 22nd and am so ready to feel normal again. My gas pain has not been too bad. I am just sore at the incision sites and my back is sore from sleeping on it. I just want to feel normal again and be in my new routine. How long should I expect that to take?

Am I the only one experiencing sore throat issues? That is more annoying that the gas pain in my opinion.

My throat pain was worse than anything!!!!!!!! It is from the tube during surgery. Mine took a good week to feel better.