Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone.

So I met with my nurse to go over the post op instructions, and she said that I needed to stop my birth control (I have the nuva ring) 30 days before surgery and keep it out 30 days after, because my body will mess with the hormones.

Has anyone else been told this? Its not like I cant use condoms with my husband, but my birth control helps make my periods a bit more bearable.

They also told me to wait until after a month to get my IUD in (I was trying to get it in before the surgery). ANy thoughts?

doctors advise not using bc a few weeks before/after surgery to reduce the risk of blood clots

I was told the same thing. I had to stop my pills 1 month before and can't start it til 1 month post-op. It sucks because I have PCOS and getting my period monthly DOESN'T happen unless I'm on the pill. With my pill I have to wait until I get my period to start them...so I'm sure that I'll have to wait 3-4 months before I get my period so I can start my pills. :)|

I'm sorry, but that seems way out there. I'm also on Nuvaring and I told the doctor, program director and the pre op nurse and no one ever mentioned that at all. In fact, I've had 3 knee surgeries cutting into to muscle and flesh where I had drain tubes with a much higher risk of blood clots and was never asked to stop any birth control. There is no way in hell I'm stopping my BC for anything or anyone!!!!

...There is no way in hell I'm stopping my BC for anything or anyone!!!!

Holy crap. I am right there with you, sister! No way, no how. Me being on BC = NO PERIODS. I am NOT going to jack that up. :wink2:

That sucks I have an IUD (have had it since Feb) I wonder what they will tell me..

manhannant, I've had 2 previous surgeries and have never been asked to stop taking my pills. I thought it was really strange but my surgeon, nutritionist and nurses kept telling me that it was VERY IMPORTANT to stop taking them. Oh well I guess! LOL

Now I'm just waiting to get my period to be back on them. I shouldn't really complain because I rarely get a period without them but I've been told that this is one way to gain weight.

Oh the wonders of the female body! :wink2:

Today was my pre-op visit (!!) and I met with the anesthesia nurse. She asked history questions and what medicines and supplements I am taking. She did not say that I should stop taking the pill. She said that I should be sure to take some of the other meds that morning before surgery, but NOTHING was mentioned about stopping my beloved pills.

Thank goodness.

Oh, and on a side note, WTF is the deal with a pregnancy test?!? I am on the pill and I have not had sex in - um - years. :huh2: That is just stupid.

I have the NuvaRing also. My doctor never told me to stop using it. In fact, I had it in during the surgery. I guess each doctor is different. If that what he says, then, I guess, do it.

Today was my pre-op visit (!!) and I met with the anesthesia nurse. She asked history questions and what medicines and supplements I am taking. She did not say that I should stop taking the pill. She said that I should be sure to take some of the other meds that morning before surgery, but NOTHING was mentioned about stopping my beloved pills.

Thank goodness.

Oh, and on a side note, WTF is the deal with a pregnancy test?!? I am on the pill and I have not had sex in - um - years. :huh2: That is just stupid.

No matter what type of surgery you have, you will always need to take a test. If you are pregnant, you won't be having any elective surgery. No doctor would take that liability. My program director told me a few years ago they have a really large young woman who had bypass surgery. The Anestesiologist overlooked the fact that no test had been done pre op, but because she has never had a regular period no one thought anything of it. As soon as she go home from the hospital she delivered a stillborn baby.

No matter what type of surgery you have, you will always need to take a test. If you are pregnant, you won't be having any elective surgery. No doctor would take that liability. My program director told me a few years ago they have a really large young woman who had bypass surgery. The Anestesiologist overlooked the fact that no test had been done pre op, but because she has never had a regular period no one thought anything of it. As soon as she go home from the hospital she delivered a stillborn baby.

See, the thing is....THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY THAT I AM PREGNANT. People do not reproduce via parthenogenesis (we aren't sea urchins, you see), so there is no way. AND: I am effing celibate since 2008! I seems like a waste since I'll guess that they will charge the insurance a hundred dollars for it.

I'll say it again: It is stupid to make all females take a pregnancy test. :huh2:

Ha ha! Are you sure you don't have Sea Urchin DNA in you? They don't care if you have never had sex. Its a liability issue and it won't cost that much. I looked at my lab bill for the test last month and it was $17. Do you know how many times women have swore up and down they they weren't pregnant and they really are. Happened to me 11 years ago. I was gaining weight despite working out, had x-rays, drinking every weekend, took a pee stick test which was negative and I was pregnant! Then I had a miscarriage a few weeks later.

Sea Urchin.........I'll never watch a Discovery Channel show on ocean life the same again.

Melissa

I was on the pill and nobody told me to stop taking them. And I am 49 on the pill and still had to take a pregnancy test at hospital.

I was never told by anyone at any point to not take my BC pills. As a matter of fact, they even went so far as to tell me if I usually take it the morning, to take it the night before (I take mine at night anyway).

BUT... I have had 3 periods in the six weeks following surgery and the last one was so abnormal I saw my GYN today. She assured me that it was all related to the surgery, but you never can tell.