Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are there any guys here?

Nothing against the ladies, but I'd like to hear from men who read or post here. What sort of things did you deal with when you were getting ready for banding? How are you doing with your weight loss? Is your experience with the band different than it is for women? Any lessons learned from the male point of view that you'd care to share?

Dave

(P.S. Yes, I know there is a Man Room forum here, but nobody seems to post there much.)

Hey - another guy here :unsure: I'm still in the investigation stage. This site is very helpful.

I'm another one!

Not banded yet...maybe in 3 weeks!

I have also been wondering about how the guys deal with the whole process. I am like most men...a baby!!!

Very informative site...I am hoping to post my experiences as soon as I have experiences...So far it has been smooth sailing...I still can't believe I am brave enough to even get this far!!

Excited and apprehensive all at the same time!:unsure:

Another on board. Benn banded since April 2010, going good. Weight loss is what you put in to it, if you work hard and exercise regularly the pounds will come off. The thing that I hate the most is when I cook a nice meal for the family and get 3 bites down and get stuck! Ughh, that sucks, I have learned to just push the plate away and be done with it. Good luck guys, it's a piece of cake.

Guy here.

Had my surgery 3.5 months ago.

Down 75 pounds.

I think we men tend to lose a little faster than the women-folk.

Good luck to all of you. If you have any specific questions feel free to post or shoot me a pm.

Another guy here. I'm three months out from surgery, down about 70 lbs. It's not easy, but not impossible. I've found it takes a daily effort to exercise and eat right.

Another guy here.

Been banded a little over a year, and am down between 50 and 80lbs since the pre-diet, which has yo-yo'd a bit.

I've had mixed results with it, though my problems really haven't had anything to do with the band not working the way it's supposed to.

The big lesson I've learned is that it's not a magic bullet. You still need to make the right food choices (which I struggle with), and still need to exercise (which I struggle with).

Unfortunately, I discovered after I was banded that most of the food that got me fat in the first place are slider foods, which I have REAL problems turning down.

So for someone thinking about being banded, I'd have to just say that the band doesn't "fix" you if you have food issues. It helps, but you still have to do the work. The nutritionist at my doctors office mentioned that she always tries to tell this to new patients, but understands that their not going to really believe it until about a year out when the honeymoon is over.

gnortenjones, what are the slider foods that are trouble for you?

Hey guys. Thanks for checking in. Anyone else? I knew I wasn't the only one. With luck, I'll be banded next month. (I'm down to the last couple of things: Endoscopy next week, then they go for surgery approval from my insurance. Supposed to be easy to get. Cross your fingers!)

I'm curious about those of you have lost so much weight so fast. 70+ pounds in a few months is awesome! What sort of workout plan are you on? Working with a trainer, or hitting the gym regularly? I really want to get back to the gym, but I want to have the band to back up my effort.

How's your daily diet? Any tips or tricks to make it work? My nutritionist is talking about 100+ daily grams of Protein - that seems like a lot.

Any of you guys happen to be in the Pacific Northwest? I'm north of Seattle. It'd be great to find another guy around here to compare notes with.

Dave

Hey guys. Thanks for checking in. Anyone else? I knew I wasn't the only one. With luck, I'll be banded next month. (I'm down to the last couple of things: Endoscopy next week, then they go for surgery approval from my insurance. Supposed to be easy to get. Cross your fingers!)

I'm curious about those of you have lost so much weight so fast. 70+ pounds in a few months is awesome! What sort of workout plan are you on? Working with a trainer, or hitting the gym regularly? I really want to get back to the gym, but I want to have the band to back up my effort.

How's your daily diet? Any tips or tricks to make it work? My nutritionist is talking about 100+ daily grams of Protein - that seems like a lot.

Any of you guys happen to be in the Pacific Northwest? I'm north of Seattle. It'd be great to find another guy around here to compare notes with.

Dave

I lost so much in the beginning because I was over 400 pounds when I started. The more you have to lose the faster it goes initially. It's slowing down now though.

Another on board. Benn banded since April 2010, going good. Weight loss is what you put in to it, if you work hard and exercise regularly the pounds will come off. The thing that I hate the most is when I cook a nice meal for the family and get 3 bites down and get stuck! Ughh, that sucks, I have learned to just push the plate away and be done with it. Good luck guys, it's a piece of cake.

Hello! I will be banded on 10/18. As I was reading the posts for everyone, I came across yours mentioning food getting stuck. I have that horror! I have a friend that had the Lapband a couple of years ago and she has given me alot of information. She said that pineapple juice is good to "unstick" the food. Just sip on it but it should help. I think we need to offer advice to one another. I surely hope someone will help me if I run into a problem.

Take care and blessings (no such thing as luck):thumbdown:

PitPat

Hello! I will be banded on 10/18. As I was reading the posts for everyone, I came across yours mentioning food getting stuck. I have that horror! I have a friend that had the LAP-BAND® a couple of years ago and she has given me alot of information. She said that pineapple juice is good to "unstick" the food. Just sip on it but it should help. I think we need to offer advice to one another. I surely hope someone will help me if I run into a problem.

Take care and blessings (no such thing as luck):thumbup:

PitPat

I'm a guy too. Thanks to my band I can look down and know this immediately without having to find a mirror or ask a stranger what is between my legs.

The best way to get unstuck is to try and not get stuck in the first place.

It will happen but we all need to pay attention and keep the occurrences down.

Guy Here. I was banded on 9/20. I was a self pay and it was about $10k cheaper for me to have the surgery in an out patient facility than in the Hospital. Due to my Size at the time of my first Doc Appointment He wanted me do go on an all Protein diet. I started it on 6/27 and on 7/24 I was down from 440 to 410. He then scheduled my surgery on 9/20 and I weighted in a 402.

It has been two weeks and I have lost around 15-20lbs since being banded.

I am now where I am adding back solid foods. I have found out like most everyone that has told me that bread is not my friend. I will probably be able to eat it in a few more weeks but now it doesn't help. I have had a few things get where they fill Stuck but I find that it is my old eating habits that are to blame. I will sit in front of a meal and start shoveling it in. I know I should eat slow and take smaller bites but I tend not to do that. I would recommend if you are a few weeks out from surgery to go ahead and try to make this change.

I started at the gym last week and am trying to make it a routine to Walk 4-5 days a week and when I lose a little more weight I am going to start lifting weights too.

Hey everyone, brand new here. Don't have much advice seeing as I was banded only yesterday. So far, so good.

Another guy here..

Congrats to all who have started their new lives. Good luck to all the rest of us that are waiting to get there. I can't wait to get started on mine as well. My band date is Oct 27. Preop starts wed 13. Getting really excited.