Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill yesterday...Dr. doesn't measure?

Hey guys!

I was banded 3/31 by Dr. Simpson in AZ. Yesterday was my first fill.

It was completely painless, in fact, the only thing I felt was pressure and a "popping" when he hit the port. I was amazed at how little it hurt!

I asked Dr. S how much I had in my 10 cc band now, and he said, "I don't know. It doesn't matter." I guess his philosphy is that he adds Fluid until he feels a back pressure, and then goes a little more. Does anyone else have a Dr. that doesn't measure, or even care about, the amount of Fluid in your band?:w00t:

My first adjustment is June 14th. I am so excited and it is right after I get back from vacation, the first real test of my ability to work with my band.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope mine is as painless as yours.

Every doctor has a different way of assisting patients. I'm sure you are fine.

How hard is it to look at the syringe, after the fill, and say, "Oh, I started with 4 ccs, and there are 1.7 ccs left; the fill was 2.3 ccs."

I agree that the numbers aren't terribly important singly. But they add up, cumulatively, and each band does have an upper limit to its capacity. (The upper limit is usually significantly higher than the number of ccs we're told our bands hold; nevertheless, not keeping track really concerns me.)

I wonder whether he's just a paternalistic sort--who doesn't care to communicate with patients. That's kind of lousy--but it would make me more comfortable than one who wasn't measuring and documenting what he does.

I think I'd ask him next time, "Are you just telling me that because you don't believe it's useful information for patients to lift out of context, or do you actually not measure and document how much you add?"

My doctor puts in a specific amount- but it's not a number we're encouraged to care about at all (if that makes sense.) A lot of people compare their fill amounts when there just is no means of comparison. My 3ccs might give me the right restriction for me, while it takes 11ccs for you.

I don't know how much I have- and don't really care. (But I guess I'm glad my doctor knows...)

Thanks guys!

I'm sure he really "knows" what is in there now...taking into account what he left in after surgery (if anything) and what he put in yesterday...but he didn't want to tell me.

Just thought it interesting, since "most" people on here have their fill dates followed by amount under their signatures.

Thanks again!