Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi everyone, i was just curious if anyone knows why when you go in for a fill under fluoro. why is it that when you go home you feel the same as before the fill? shouldnt i feel more restriction since my dr.watched the restriction level? i just had my first fill and thought since he was watching it that it would be alot better! i was hoping for just a little more restriction but feel the same! thanks everyone!:thumbdown:

Fluoroscopy allows doctors to be a bit more aggressive with fills, in terms of amounts added, because they can see if there is over-restriction.

However, there's really only so much you can add to the band at one time without risking problems from tissue swelling.

Your doctor watched, today, to make sure that Fluid was able to move through your band. But he likely did not have any intention of taking you close to restriction; to do so would be risky, in terms of swelling. In subsequent fillings, you may be taken right to the edge of restriction---or even all the way there---only to find that it recedes over time. It can take a while to get restriction that "sticks."

My fills are all done with fluoroscopy. I've had 3, and didn't feel significant restriction until my third.

For most of us, it's a slow process.

Luckily, you've started that process now, and are a step closer to where you want to be!

(Don't be surprised if tomorrow, you feel a little tighter than today. You may not, but it's a possibility.)

thank you so much for the information!! i know i need to just be patient and that there is a reason why they do what they do! i guess im just eager to get there!lol thank you again and have a great day!

See this is weird. I too get all my fills under fluoro (had my 3rd on 4/22) and I actually feel hungrier than when I went in to have it. My doc told me that I had great restriction, everything was passing through slowly, etc. and the day after I had my 6-month post-op appointment and he said, "Well, we won't see you until your 1 year mark in October. If during the way, you feel hungrier in between meals, the scale stops moving or your portions aren't satisfying you, you need to come in for another fill." Great, but I didn't think it wouldn' happen this soon. I am scheduled for my 4th on 5/20, so we'll see, but according to the doc, I had "perfect restriction" after this last fill.

Maybe I just swell up too much.....dunno. But I am 4.9 cc full on a 10 cc band, I have to be coming up on restriction soon! Hoping 4th time's the charm!

Good luck to you!

I just had my first fill last saturday. I don't feel any different and I can eat normal portions. The only difference is I need to chew completely before swallowing. I do have a question. I get a pain in the left side of my chest when taking meds or eating. It isn't all the time, just often enough to concern me. Or should I be concerned? Will it stop? My blood pressure is normal. My surgery date was 3/20/10.:thumbdown:

hmm i don't know what could be causing the pain in your chest. i hope it goes away for you soon!

juliansmom= you have had 3fills and your total is 4.9ccs? i sure hope we both have restriction soon!!lol take care

Thanks for the well wisshes Mike. I just worry as both my parents died from heart desease in their early 60's.

Juliansmom, I got over 4ccs for my first fill, and I still don't feel restricted. Boy, everyone is different. Hang in there!!:thumbdown:

Not sure what that pain is either, Robin. I'd say if it continues, it couldn't hurt to call the doc to be on the safe side.

Yeah, 4.9 total (this last one was .7 and it did look like I had restriction when I swallowed the barium), but honestly, it's been almost 2 weeks and the little mistakes I make (which I used to pay dearly for) like taking bites that are too big and eating too fast are not affecting me at all now and I'm super hungry in between meals. I'm praying it's not something bigger that they're missing like a leak or a slipped band. I guess I would know if my band slipped though LOL

Good luck to you! I hope you hit your sweet spot soon! Hang in there!

hmm i don't know what could be causing the pain in your chest. i hope it goes away for you soon!

juliansmom= you have had 3fills and your total is 4.9ccs? i sure hope we both have restriction soon!!lol take care

Yes, Michael.

First fill (1/14) was 3.4 ccs

Second one (2/25) was .8 ccs

Third fill (4/22) was .7 ccs

Scheduled for my 4th on 5/20 and it won't get here soon enough LOL

I had my last fill on 4/19 and I thought they had punctured my band because it was like they had taken the band out! I was starving and I could eat anything then on Sunday 5/2 my restriction magically returned! So be sure and wait 3 weeks between fills to see what is really happening.

ETA: (Karen I have 5.7 in my 10cc band. So maybe the next one is the one for you!)

well i hope the 4th is the one for you!! i just had my first fill last week and he put 4ccs in and so far i feel the same! so im hoping the next on will be a little better! take care:)

Having been filled too tight (even though the Dr filled me with the amount he normally gives everyone), I can tell you I would much rather have felt less restriction than I had hoped for than over restriction.