Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone had or having out-patient surgery???

I'm just reading through posts and wondering if I'm the only one who's having my wls through and out-patient surgery center? Its a weight loss clinic in San Diego and all they perform is lap-bands; they do have an anestheologist, surgeon, surgeons assistant, psychiatrist, nutritionist & nurses as part of their team so I'm feeling pretty confident but still since its not a hospital I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with this procedure being performed and going home a few hours later. Just trying to relieve some anxiety with my surgery being 10 days away!

I had surgery at 1:00pm and was outta there at 4:30.

No problems. From what I understand many, if not most, lapbands are done as out-patient.

Oh really?? That's good to hear!! I kept reading all these hospital stories & the vids on youtube where people were overnight there and I'm thinking hmm maybe something isn't right about my havin surgery at 8 and out at 12! So thanks for relieving that doubt! Count down jitters!

Yip, my procedure is outpatient too.

15 days and counting.

:smile2:

More Lap band procedures are being done as Out Patient.

However, it IS surgery. They cut you open, and they put a foreign device inside you. You are under anesthesia. And because of that, I would not have the surgery at this point in time WITHOUT being allowed/required to stay overnight.

S.

I was outpatient (you have to be below a certain BMI to have outpatient at my center...which is NOT a hospital).

My surgery was at 8:30 and I was HOME by 10:30. NO problems.

Originally my surgery was going to be inpatient, but now my doc is saying I will get to go home the same day! WOOHOO! :smile2:

Hmm well that's an interesting turn of perspective. I can certainly understand Spartan's point of view and that was my main reason for posting the question. But I am given some confidence that some of you have been through out patient procedures & are doing well...

Hello,

First off, I wish you luck in your journey this month!:)

Hopefully I will have a date soon as well. Looking toward mid or end of May, but I know my surgery as a self pay will be outpatient at the hospital. My mother just had it last month and stayed overnight and she has medicare. Same doc, just different pay methods. I guess if insurance will cover it they will have you stay, if not, it's only day surgery. The only reasoning I can think of.

~Lori

Yes, it's surgery but as long as you are under a certain BMI, it's a very safe procedure and very non-invasive. My surgery took 19 minutes.

For the record - I've had a screw put in my ankle before and that was outpatient.

Outpatient doesn't mean that they don't give you adequate care and then shove you out the door. It means that there's minimal invasion, you have to show that you've rebounded from anesthesia and you're able to recover at home. Personally, I'd rather be recovering at home versus a hospital room.

Yes, it's surgery but as long as you are under a certain BMI, it's a very safe procedure and very non-invasive. My surgery took 19 minutes.

You call having a couple (or more) holes poked in your stomach and a piece of silicone sewn around your stomach "non-invasive"?

Problems with Lap Band Surgery do not happen all that often during the Sugery part of it.....the majority of problems with Lap Bands tend to happen later on.

However, there are some cases where there are difficulties that are experienced post-surgery, in the first 24 hours. And if YOU are in that small percentage, then you will want to be In the hospital.

It's a personal choice, in many cases. If you have the choice, and if it is not too big of an inconvenience, I would stay overnight in the Hospital. Take the time to relax, read, and recover.

S.

Yes, I do consider it non-invasive. Some people freak out at the word surgery - the fact is, lapband is a very SAFE surgery.

My surgery was outpatient and everything went fine, including the hernia repair that I had while getting the lapband. Any procedure is a risk but that is why you need to find a surgeon that you trust and that has a good reputation. So far, I havent had any problems with my band and it was the best thing I could have done for myself! I am glad that I didnt have to stay over night in the hospital...I am much more comfortable in my own home. It took less than 5 hours and that included travel time and stopping for my prescriptions! The worst part of all of it for me was not being able to sleep on my stomach. Good luck to everyone on your journey!!!

I think that most surgeries are done out-patient anymore. When I have my gallbladder out I had surgery at 9:00 and was home by 3:00. Same thing happened with ovary removal.

There is more of a risk of infection in the hospital than at your home. MRSA - keep that away from me.

My doctor told me that my surgery is at 8:00 and I should be home by 10:30.

Like pre-op diets, each doctor has his own way of doing things.

Good luck. Everything will turn out great.

Deena

I was approved for an overnight stay, but was released at 5:30pm.