Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

others eating habits

Am I alone in this or does anyone else get "sick" while being around others while eating? I cant stand to be around family eating huge portions of JUNK. It repulses me & I feel like I'm not the "normal" one in the group.

I cnat help being a bit astounded by what other people can fit in when I eat with a group.

It doesnt repulse me though, I just thank goodness I'm not filling my body with all that rubbish and facing an old age of ill health and pain due to obesity.

Although I must admit, being in a food court at a shopping centre and watching the great unwashed masses shoving their cake holes full of KFC and McD's is a bit revolting.

Edited by Jachut

Maybe it bothers me so much b/c it's family & I hate seeing them destroy their body ?

My father in law is diabetic but says he doesnt have diabetes b/c his numbers were in the normal range. Now he loads up on 3 or 4 plates of, well, garbage. Carbs, candy, pop, etc.

My bil is 30 & having BOTH hips replaced. He's easily at 400 lbs , about 5 ft tall. At the last cook out he devoured 5 large brats on Buns w/all the fixins. Also had his 5 plates of food heaped up high & a 2 liter bottle of pop.

They seem stupidfied how I'm losing weight & even when I tell them they act like eating less and exercising isn't normal. I guess I need a support group but the local one here is 2 hrs away. I'm dreading cookouts & family meals (Easter) b/c of this :frown:

Oh, I do agree. I am amazed at what people are eating but I am absolutely amazed at how FAST they eat it. I find myself wondering if they even taste what they are eating. I am sure that I was just as fast before my band but I sure hope I didn't look like I was using a shovel to get it in.

I am amazed at how much my family does eat.... and I especially the ones complaining about losing weight...I say..well, you just ate dinner now you are snacking on cheerios-- which is a healthy choice.. how many calories?? they say only like 130 for a cup-- I said well thats great-- but you just ate dinner 30 minutes ago you need to add those calories and see how much it all is.... but that's not what gets me now...

What truely gets me is the size bites they take... it makes me gag watching it... I finally said the other day bc they caught me looking at them weird... " do you realize if I took a bit that big-- I would be puking all over the table!"

so yes, the way they eat can get to me.... but ya know.. pre-band.. I am sure peope said that about me... so, I am not gonna judge.. I just look at my plate and concentrate on how I eat!

I feel bad for saying this, but it grosses me out to watch my own husband eat sometimes. He's 6'5" and about 350. he would never consider the surgery because he has seen what I go through and just couldn't picture himself being that disciplined. he can easily eat two plates of food, or finish what is on my plate or my kids' plates. And while that isn't so bad, it does gross me out. it must be a mindset that changes over time, because I used to be able to MATCH him bite for bite, which got me to 282 pounds...I wish the mindset of "I'm still fat!" would change too!

I'm right there with yall!! It amazes me watching other people eat. Sometimes it does gross me out. My father in law is in a size 50 pants (not sure how much he weighs). And he just shovels it in, huge bite after huge bit. I love my father-in-law, but it does gross me out. Of course, I keep my mouth shut. But I have often watched him eat, and had to stop eating myself because it grossed me out.

I've just gotten banded, so I'm usually thinking, I wish I could eat that! I know I used to wolf food down, so it's a little weird to still be eating after everyone else is done. My two-year-old and I are eating about the same amount of food, but he's still slower than me. I guess I need to run around the room after every bite! :frown:

Dont feel bad for saying it. Its not so much judging, just noticing.

I've heard lots of people complain on here that as fat people, they've felt judged eating in public.

But realistically, to see somebody (normal weight or not) walking down a mall shoving huge bits of hot dog into their face without even sitting down to eat nicely IS gross! Its digusting. I've always been repulsed by seeing people walking around the shops eating!

The other thing that I hate hate hate is people walking around sucking on huge paper cups. And nearly everyone does that these days, so that's my problem, not the cup-suckers! But I think its a truly awful habit. I will not have a cup of coffee unless I can sit down and drink it from a proper cup and saucer or mug. I wont patronise coffee places that only have paper cups unless it really is truly a "to go" coffee like at my son's football or something.

There's definitely a correlation between obesity and the slow death of nice manners and etiquette. When I was a child, you sat at a table to eat dinner, you didnt walk around eating in public, you couldnt get food at every stop every second of the day and you dint walk around attached by a straw to a hugely calorific coffee drink. Coffee came black or with a dash of milk and you mostly had it at home. Nowadays, we eat anywhere, anytime, off and out of anything!

Edited by Jachut

I don't think its necessarily a bad thing to be grossed out by it-- I think it's a form of conditioning, and if I can feel a bit smug about eating well and slowly, maybe that will help me stick to it! (not that I'm advocating smugness as an all-around attitude, but with healthy eating it likely can't hurt- unless you become "preachy" I guess.)

When I read the OP yesterday, my first inclination was to say that I'm not all that concerned with what others eat. But last night, when my son and daughter served themselves up (too much) ice cream, I did comment---and my son told me, "You know how some people go to rehab, and then think everyone else is an addict? That's you, with food."

(Okay, maybe---but I'm their mother, and it's my job to do whatever I can to prevent them from making the same kinds of mistakes I made.)