Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Difference .75cc Makes

I just had my second fill which brought me up to 6.75 ccs in a 10cc band. (5ccs at surgery, 1 cc a couple of months ago and .75 a few days ago). Wow - before this fill, I could easily eat several cups of food with no issue. After this fill, I even have to take it easy drinking Water and eating just a little bit of solid Protein keeps me feeling full for hours. It's shocking to me that such a small amount of Fluid could make such a big difference. Even more shocking, when the doc put in a full cc during my fill, it was too much and the water he gave me to drink wouldn't go through, but when he pulled out just .25 cc, I was fine. Wild stuff! I wish someone would have told me that it might take 6 months to get to the point where all of the stuff they've been telling us (like you should be full on less than a cup of food) would finally match my experience!

I had the same experience. On thursday I had another 1cc put in and I could drink Water fine when I left, but when I got home that evening I couldn't drink water or anything. I went back on friday and he took out .5 cc and now the band is working great! Before this last .5, I could eat a couple cups, but now I stay full longer and am satisfied with much smaller meals. My doctor is pretty aggressive with the fills, I can go back every week and get a fill if I want too.

Thanks so much for posting this. I really NEEDED to hear this! I am at 5.25cc in a 10cc band and its just not enough yet. I'm hungry, I can eat a lot, and my weightloss has stalled. I'm happy w/how much I have lost so far, but I want to get the scale moving again. I've got another fill scheduled in a week and hope that this might be 'the one' to get me to my sweet spot.

yes a small amount csn change things im at 7.0 in 10.cc at 7.5 i felt i couldnt get anything dwn, acid reflux, man after removing 0.05 flet great stay full longer and weights going dwn again just a few more pounds to go for total weight lost goal

Wanjiku,

Unfortunately, it doesn't need to take 6 months and I have no clue why doctors make it take so long. They need to start listening to their patients 'needs' instead of just following some arbitrary schedule.

On my last visit, I asked my doc about this and he said that there is no 'schedule' for filling his patients. When we come in, they ask us questions that helps them guage whether we might be ready for a fill. He said some of his patients do take 6 months or more before they get permanent (or what passes for permanent) restriction because after each small fill they are swollen enough from temporary restriction that they need to (and can) weight for 6 weeks or 2 months until another fill.

In my case, I had 3cc put in 4 weeks post op, another 3cc 2 weeks later, another 2cc a week after that because I never had *any* restriction at all. This last 1.75cc has gone in slower (timewise and amount) because I have had restriction after each one.

Don't be surprised if, after a week or so, you are able to once again eat more than you should. It just means that what you have now is temporary restriction due to swelling...but that you're getting close.