Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now approaching Twoderville!

I started this journey at 433 lbs in September 2009 and as of this morning I have lost 132 lbs for a current weight of 301 lbs. I'm so happy to be almost at Twoderville! I'm really starting to feel like a normal person again. I can do almost anything, sit in any chair, fly (sometimes) without a seatbelt extender, buy clothes retail, and I feel sexy and desirable for the first time in a long time. (Ok, not as much when the clothes come off... after losing 132 lbs, Spanx is my friend!) But I do look cute in my clothes, and even though I want to lose another 100 lbs, I already feel like I have my life back.

I've lost my weight slower than a lot of you, but I've kept my sanity and I've continued to lose steadily, so I'm not fretting about that. I do need to exercise more to keep up my rate of weight loss and tone up my muscles more. So that is my goal moving forward.

Kathy:thumbup:

Wow, thats great. I don't think your losing to slow at all. Keep up the good work. It took me a little over a year to reach my goal weight. You'll get there.

Congrats!!! You are doing so well. Keep up the good work!

Congratulations!!!!

That is wonderful. Keep up the good work.

Wow!! Congratulations on your weight loss success! You are doing an amazing job!:)

BTW, I like your style in weight loss tickers :)

Thanks, everyone, for the kudos and encouragement. And, I have now officially entered Twoderville! In fact, my weight did what it is often apt to do... I plateau for a couple of weeks and then quickly drop 4-6 lbs in a couple of days, then settle out there again. Well, as of this morning I am at 297, for a loss of 4 lbs since I wrote this post only a few days ago. (Unfortunately I can't sustain that rate of weight loss, wouldn't that be wonderful!) But I am definitely now in Twoderville!

Kathy

I think my favorite day in my entire weight loss journey was the day I hit 299. It was better than 199. It was better than crossing the finish line of the NYC marathon ( and any of the 3 times I've done it since, haha). There is something MAJORLY special about being in the 200's. That's when I quit feeling so self conscious. Sure, at 5'1 I was still quite heavy, but I could buy clothes at the mall, go on a bike ride, sit in a bus seat, walk in winter without sweating, the list goes on and on. And when you get below 250, just wait - WAHPOW! There are so many people who weigh 250 - you feel completely average, yet you know you'll still get healthier and healthier!

Congratulations, Kathy. Welcome to Twoterville.

Hi ladies,

I'm getting discouraged and hoping you guys could help. I started my journey at 392 LBS. To say it aloud is depressing in its self. I was on a liquid diet for 3 weeks prior to my surgery and lost 29 lbs. But since my surgery April 5th I have only lost 14 lbs and I am always starving. I think the only reason I have even lost that is because I exercise 5 days a week. I have a 14cc band and have had 3 fills for a total of 5cc. I go in again next week but don't expect him to give me more than 1cc like last time. I only lose when I'm on liquids or mushies and gain instantly when I add solid Proteins. I also get discourgaed about how much I want to eat and feel like I went through a lot for just another diet w/ no help. Any advice would be appreciated. This is my last option for a healthier life.

Thank you,

Pegge

Hi ladies,

I'm getting discouraged and hoping you guys could help. I started my journey at 392 LBS. To say it aloud is depressing in its self. I was on a liquid diet for 3 weeks prior to my surgery and lost 29 lbs. But since my surgery April 5th I have only lost 14 lbs and I am always starving. I think the only reason I have even lost that is because I exercise 5 days a week. I have a 14cc band and have had 3 fills for a total of 5cc. I go in again next week but don't expect him to give me more than 1cc like last time. I only lose when I'm on liquids or mushies and gain instantly when I add solid Proteins. I also get discourgaed about how much I want to eat and feel like I went through a lot for just another diet w/ no help. Any advice would be appreciated. This is my last option for a healthier life.

Thank you,

Pegge

Pegge,

I'm not one of the ladies except on weekends and when nobody else is looking but I may be able to help.

First of all, congrats on your progress!!

Second, you lost an amazing 14 pounds since surgery. I hate the word "only" in the context of losing weight.

• You can lose weight on liquids. So, your system isn't broken.
  • How many meals a day are you eating?
  • What does your average meal consist of?
  • Are you logging everything that you eat of drink?
  • Are you consuming at least 50 grams of Protein daily?
  • How many carbs are you eating?
  • Are you eating carbs at every meal?
  • Are you drinking at least 64 ounces of Water daily?

Congrats Kathy!!!

Pegge,

It sounds like you haven't reached your sweet spot yet. It takes time after surgery to get there, but my experience is that once I got there, the weight came off much easier. When I'm at my sweet spot I rarely get hungry and I do lose weight unless I make bad choices (chips, ice cream). I take a Protein powder shake for Breakfast every morning and that really helps me also.

Have you ever had a feeling of "tightness" since your surgery? Like you were full without eating very much? If so, it sounds like you haven't reached your sweet spot yet. It took me 4 fills to get there, and the 5th to really stay there for a while. It was longer than I expected and I got discouraged, too. But now I have lost 172 pounds, and stil losing about 2-3 pounds a week. But getting to, and then maintaining myself at, that sweet spot is critical. if I get too loose or even too tight my weight loss slows way down. You do have to manage a lap band, it doesn't do everything for you. But if you manage it well, it will make things much easier for you.

Right now I'm only 12 pounds away from my first (initial) non-stretch goal, which was 250 pounds. That sounds really high, but keep in mind I started at 433 pounds and I am 5' 9.5". So I honestly wasn't sure I would even be able to get to 250. But my current goal is to get to 199. When I get there, or when I get close, I will evaluate whether I want to try to go lower. The lowest weight I have been as an adult is 169.5. I would love to get back down to that point, but I would honestly be thrilled with 199, too.

Good luck!

Kathy

Thank you both for your encouragement!!

I know my problem is waiting.........! :bored: I do have restriction the day I get a fill and the day after. So I will wait for more fills to help me the rest of the time. I am eating 3 meals a day but having 2 or 3 Snacks too. Yes I have changed the way I eat. No sweets, no breads, no potatoes. Protein, vegs and fruits. And since I'm still starving on just the 3 meals a day I changed my snacks to yogurt, fruit or oatmeal. I was never told how many carbs I am suppose to have daily...just eat lots of protein.:blink: I am glad I am on the right track! Losing weight is so much better than gaining.

Thanks again for your advice:biggrin:

There is nothing wrong with snacking as long as you keep it light.

There isn't a specific number of carbs that you should have but you want to keep the number as low as possible without torturing yourself. A lot of people eat bread or potatoes with every meal. That is too much. Since you said you cut both out that isn't an issue.

It is very important that you consume at least 50 grams of Protein a day and drink at least 64 ounces of Water.< /p>

If you're not keeping a food diary, you should start. It will show you where you may need to consume more protein.

You can do this for free at: Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, Food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate

Kathy,

I started at 365 and questioned whether I'd ever see 250 either. I am at 234 now and confident that I will hit my goal of 170.

Oh how i feel your frustration, Kind of ironic... my starting weight was 392.4lbs but in order to have my surgery i had to get my bmi down so i got down to 334 on feb 3rd 10' was my surgery day. in the first 4 months i dropped about 20-21 lbs gained due to lack of retriction, frustration, depression... so i am at a hurdle of 323 ish... and feel like i work out 5 days a week i eat less than i ever have in my life... Now finally feeling a good restriction 9.5 ccs out of a 10 cc band. but weight still clinging to my body! I completely get what you mean when you say you feel like just another diet... but I AM INSISTING that i follow this through and if nothing else i will do it on my own... (or well with its help) hehe.. Not that this is any advice like you were looking for.. but more for me, like... OHMIGOD someone else is in my boat... Sorry for the ramble! Protein PROTEIN PROTEIN Low CAlORIES 1000-1500 is what i am told! Best of Luck to you!