Dr. Randy Seeley: The Science of Obesity - A deep dive on the science behind weight gain
In this episode, Janine converses with Dr. Randy Seeley, a Professor of Surgery at the University of Michigan. Dr. Seeley serves as the Director of the Michigan Nutrition Obesity Research Center and works in understanding the physiology of obesity and weight gain. Dr. Seeley takes Janine on a deep dive of the mechanics and chemistry behind why the human body gains weight, what triggers the desire to eat, and how food affects the body. Here’s a brief overview of the topics we discuss:
- The inspiration for Dr. Seeley’s research into obesity and the way our hormones affect weight gain.
- The vocabulary of weight-loss surgery and obesity: set points and hunger hormones
- Weight-loss surgery as a tool rather than a miracle cure
- Hormones and the control we have over our appetite
- The social stigma and myths surrounding obesity
- How Dr. Seeley’s research has impacted his own relationship with food
- Areas of interest and surprises in Dr. Seeley’s research
- Suggested resources for patients who want to learn more about hunger hormones and obesity
Check out the resources Dr. Seeley discusses in this episode for reliable, academic information about weight loss:
- The Obesity Action Coalition (https://www.obesityaction.org/)
- The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/weight-management)
- ObesityWeek, a joint meeting between the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery and The Obesity Society. In 2019, Obesity Week will take place between November 3 and November 7 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (https://obesityweek.com/)
This podcast wouldn't be possible without our sponsor, BariatricPal.com. If you're looking for a supportive online network of bariatric patients, be sure to browse their forums and connect with other WLS patients from around the world. Also, you'll find amazing bariatric-friendly foods in their store https://Store.BariatricPal.com. If you use the promo code PODCAST with your first order, you'll get 10% off!