Jump to content
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!
Sign in to follow this  
  • entry
  • comments
  • views

All About My Surgery And Two Weeks Post Op.



things went well with the surgery (9/10). i was in and out quickly. they did find that my liver was way larger than normal, so they took a biopsy. came back and i have early fibrosis/non alcoholic steatohepatitis (fatty liver disease) that could lead to cirrhosis if i dont get/keep the weight off.


in the hospital overnight, couldn't sleep. was on an 8 minute dilaudid pain pump, which i thank heaven for. just don't let them take out your IV/pain pump til they are actually ready to walk you out the door, especially if you have a long way to get home. i had mine out too long and got very agitated because the dr took 2.5h to write my discharge orders... i felt horrible and then started running a fever and my blood pressure and heart rate (things i don't have issues with) skyrocketed. the nurse had a horrified look on her face when she took them right before i left. on the ride home, every bump was horrible. i just wanted my own bed. and it felt like years before my husband got home from the pharmacy with my pain meds.


other than that just poking and prodding. went home the next day, pain for about a day and a half, only gave my oxycodone. phenergan did not touch the nausea, so they called in some zofran. if you have nausea, DEMAND the zofran. much more effective. turned out to have been pain mainly from the nausea from pain meds. i was fine w just zofran the 2 or 3 days after that, then i felt just fine. within the week, i actually felt GOOD. weird.


i did have one night where i laid in bed and felt like there was electricity going through my body. i couldn't sleep and was just restless. it was horrible. i think it was related to an anti nausea patch they gave me to put behind my ear? not sure, but i stopped using it and it hasn't happened since.


so far, down 25 lbs and 25 inches. mostly in my arms, legs, and face. coming off slowly on the abdomen, which is where i carry everything. was initially scheduled for 3 weeks off work.


i feel good. was cleared for soft food, sex, and exercise today, THANK GOD. walking wasn't cutting it. i did get approved for another 2 weeks off of work though. i want to be less exhausted from healing.


my sleeve doesn't hurt. it cramps a little in the am when i am empty and haven't taken my prilosec, but other than that, no pain. no nausea otherwise. i think i am eating too quickly bc i am overly full when i am done. take the time to listen to your body. eat super small bites VERY SLOWLY and you'll avoid getting too full, which feels gross and can make you cough out the extra. it's really not fun.


matrix mint cookie protein and i are bffs. the best flavor! and not too thick.


so glad i did it! best decision i have ever made!


questions? lol


Recommended Comments

Thanks so much for your summary. I am pre-op. I read every summary written by anyone about their surgery experience to help prepare myself for my own surgery.

Share this comment

Link to comment

sugar: prilosec is part of the post op procedure for every WLS done at duke. one whole year of taking it daily. as far as actually eating, it is hit and miss. sometimes i get 1-2 oz i and am stuffed. sometimes i can do 4. it is weird.

Share this comment

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

PatchAid Vitamin Patches