Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

do i need revision?

I am not sure what to do at this point. I got my band in March of 09 and I've only lost 20 lbs. My starting weight was 269 and now I'm 249. I'm grateful for the 20 lb. loss and I know that my band prevents me from binge eating. Although I'm very disappointed with my loss, I'd rather have the band than nothing.

I lost great at first...lost the 20 lbs the first 2 months. I haven't lost anything since June. I have 8 ccs in my 9cc band so I'm pretty sure that I have enough restriction. I haven't been able to get under 1600 calories though (I need to eat between 1000-1200 to lose). I think I'm always hungry but I've talked with my nutritionist and she thinks that I must be "emotional eating" and I'm just misreading my hunger signs.

My doctor wants me to do 1 hour of cardio every day but this has been almost impossible (I have 2 small children and work part time). I've been getting in 30 minutes every day and its a struggle to get that in.

I think that maybe I should have gotten bypass or the sleeve since I'm an emotional eater (?). Has anyone switched from the band to another surgery? If so, what is the process? Does insurance cover it?

If anyone else has any tips, please let me know.

Thanks!

I am 16 months out have have only lost 30 pounds.....I havent lost since April.....Yes I think I should have done the BYPASS.. After doing alot of research on both the BAND and The SLEEVE or for people that just really OVER eat...Thats my opinion...The BYPASS is more for people that eat Snacks and when the do eat it just is the WRONG stuff..........My DR says my body is not responding to the BAND.....I food journal and I walk He is putting me on a 3 month Meal Replacement which means I can ONLY have 5 shakes a day and nothing else.....NO FOOD he said since I can only eat TWICE a day and only 1/2 cup that Im not getting enough Proteinin so that might be the problem. If this doent work I will look into the BYPASS since I paid for the BAND myself I can use my insurance as a revision...Good luck to you

Thanks for your reply--glad to know I'm not alone. This is frustrating.

When I went in for my first consult, my surgeon recommended the sleeve. However, my insurance only covers bypass and the Lap band. I wanted to try the band first because I don't like the idea of permanently altering my body.

4pyes... What types of foods are you eating. Are you eating solids instead of sliders, are you drinking while you eat and are you sure your fill level is correct?

I can only speak from my experience with the band but I have to focus on eating solids not sliders, exercise 3-4 times a week and if I stay true to the lapband guidelines I will lose weight. But if I eat sliders I consume too many calories and don't lose or maintain. I have had one fill and I cannot eat more then a cup of solid foods but I can eat a bag of chips.

Sorry my ticker has not been updated, My current weight is 255.

I am making sure not to eat sliders. Its been hard since Thanksgiving because so much holiday food is around so this past week was not good, but normally I'm eating solid foods. I can totally eat more than a cup as long as I eat slowly and chew alot. There are some foods that I will PB if I eat too fast (red meat, raw carrots).

I can't believe I can eat this much and I have 8 ccs but my nutritionist says everyone is different. I've emailed my diet to her and everything is ok except that I need more vegetables (which I'm working on).

I NEVER drink and eat at the same time and only drink Water or crystal light.

I am exercising 5 days a week.

You don't need the band if you are disciplined enough to go on a liquid diet. I was on a liquid diet (Optifast) for 9 weeks when I was younger. A liquid diet will obviously result in a weight loss. Losing weight is not always the problem. Keeping lost weight off is often the major problem for obese people.

I thought that the band was the answer. It has not been the answer for me. I'm afraid of getting the sleeve, but it may be the best hope for me at this point in my life. I followed my doctor's and dietitian's program to the letter for over a year. Just over 40 lbs. lost and then plateau and lots of Pb'ing. Constant doctor's appointments with constant restriction fluctuation and adjustments. I do not understand how having irritating restriction in that specific spot will not wind up causing some kind of health issue over the long haul.

I believe I am ready to get the thing removed. Whether I also get the sleeve will be something I will need to fully understand before I go for it.

I thought I was fully informed when I got the band. I realized later that I was so desperate that I wasn't hearing everything or comprehending everything I read. When Sharon Osbourne got hers removed, I was shocked. She had been my role model. It was so disappointing and I couldn't understand why she would have hers removed. I couldn't even stand to listen to her reasoning at the time. Now I completely understand. Unfortunately.

I am making sure not to eat sliders. Its been hard since Thanksgiving because so much holiday food is around so this past week was not good, but normally I'm eating solid foods. I can totally eat more than a cup as long as I eat slowly and chew alot. There are some foods that I will PB if I eat too fast (red meat, raw carrots).

I can't believe I can eat this much and I have 8 ccs but my nutritionist says everyone is different. I've emailed my diet to her and everything is ok except that I need more vegetables (which I'm working on).

I NEVER drink and eat at the same time and only drink Water or crystal light.

I am exercising 5 days a week.

Have you tried eating lower carbs? I know when I eat too many carbs, my hunger goes out of control and I think I am starving to death.

I wonder if they are correct on your fill number, I know we're all different but If you aren't eating sliders or drinking your calories and your exercising, seems like you should be losing something.

I have a couple of questions for you

How long do you allow yourself to eat a meal?

Do you snack?

What are you snacking on?

What type of excersise are you doing?

If you are really that tight the only problem I could see that is going on would be oversnacking or grazing. Don't want to offend but if you cut out those 400 cals that you say you are over eating in a week that could give you a deficit of 2800 cals which is almost 1 pound. That coupled with your excersising will help you move along.

I met with my Doctor on Thursday and between him and the nutritionist, we agreed that I'm eating the right foods, but just too many of them (I'm eating 1500 and need to eat under 1200 to lose). He thinks I have the correct amount of restriction because I can a 13 oz of chicken to feel full.

My problem is not getting full, but staying full. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to feel hungry alot and the lap band isn't going to make my hunger go away like I thought it would. Don't get me wrong, the lap band makes a huge difference (I was probably eating 2000 calories before), but not the difference that I thought it would. That's ok--at least I know what I'm dealing with now.

I'm doing some form of cardio 30 min/day 5 days a week.

I make myself stop at 3/4 cup EVEN if I could get more. Even if you can eat more you have to have the disipline to make yourself stop.