Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any teachers out there?

I had my first fill yesterday, and I did not fell well last night. It seems the nurse and doctor did not tell me to stay on Clear liquids, and I got a little sick. Anyway, I called this morning and got the information straight and fell much better now.

I found out today that I passed my National Board renewal certification! I am so happy! Just wanted to let any teachers out there know, because they will understand what it means to me. Stay strong, everyone! We can do this!:Yawn:

That is fantastic! Congratulations! I used to be a teacher and would have gone for the National Boards had I stayed with it. Great news to end your day with!

Hi. Im a teacher and my name is Rebecca! I have a question for you. Do you notice that before class you arent hungry but after teaching you are really hungry? This has been my experience. I was banded 9/19/09 and its only been 6 weeks for me but I still cant maintain satiety during the week when Im teaching. I dont know if its all that talking or the energy it takes to handle a classroom of 15 elementary students or what. Any ideas?

Congrats!! I started my NBC, but then never followed through. I too am starving by the time I have lunch at 1:00, But I can't get much down on the earlier non-teaching period, plus if I get caught eating then I will get in BIG trouble from AP. We can only eat on our official lunch pd. I was "spoken to" already for having my oatmeal when I am not teaching 1st pd. So by 1 I am bit too hungry and sometimes eat too fast. So I am eating my first meal at 1, 2nd meal around 5 and 3rd meal around 9. Not great with all the late eating. But I can;t eat at 5:00 when I get up. Can barely get my tea down at 8!

Hey Rebecca,

I am a teacher, also in Greensboro with Dr. Martin. Congrats in your NBCT renewal. I am up for renewal in 2014 but I guess I will get started on it a year earlier to be sure I don't have a lapse in my certification. Anyhow, I am so surprised Dr. Martin didn't tell you liquids only after your fill. That is the first time I was really hungry since my 7/20/09 surgery. But, I did lose 6 pounds for those 2 days and didn't gain them back! I have another fill on this Wed. I think I need it because i have only lost a pound in the last 2 weeks. Anyhow, congratulations on your successes!

Hi all, Texas teacher here...

CONGRATULATIONS on passing the test! But even more...congratulations on losing 90 pounds!!!!

I was banded right before the beginning of school. For the longest, I couldn't eat much of anything and that was good in the way that we've only about 25 minutes for lunch, so eating 'real food' in that amount of time would not be good. I was eating (sipping) cup-a-Soup most of the time.

Now, three months later, I can eat many different foods, but not quickly. I usually eat a cream Soup (too fatteningL) or a baked potato from the cafeteria. I'm not getting enough Protein, but haven't been able to stomach the Protein drinks after the hundreds I had pre op!

To tracy in nyc, I guess I'm lucky that we teachers can eat or drink anything whenever we want at my school. Maybe it's because I teach high school... In the morning, I sip tea or coffee while I tutor my ESL students, and eat some spoonfuls of yogurt during the passing time between classes -five minutes after a 45-minute class. I have a conference period in the morning and afternoon, so I could eat at that time if I didn't feel like having lunch, but usually I have department and grade level meetings, or a parent meeting.

There should be some allowances made since you’ve different nutritional needs, but I’m not one to advise getting on a soapbox. Maybe you could drink a Protein Drink? How do ‘they’ know that you are eating or drinking in the classroom?

Anyway, Rebecca, congratulations to you for passing such a rigorous test! Yay! And, good luck in losing all of your weight!!!!! smiles

Keep up the good work, everyone!!!

Edited by denouement

@Denoument,

I do drink in the classroom, which is new b/c old principal would not allow it. New guy says it is OK. However, we can not eat in the room or on non-teaching periods that are not "lunch". The kids are pretty cool about not "snitching", but lately the climate is such that students are being asked to write statements about teachers' habits and procedures. (We now have to return exams within 24hours and must give HW back the same way with ",meaningful comments", -don't ask!!) I am a bit wary of bending too many rules and I did not tell admin why I was out for surgery. I too teach HS, am I correct in guessing from your name you also teach English?

@Denoument,

I do drink in the classroom, which is new b/c old principal would not allow it. New guy says it is OK. However, we can not eat in the room or on non-teaching periods that are not "lunch". The kids are pretty cool about not "snitching", but lately the climate is such that students are being asked to write statements about teachers' habits and procedures. (We now have to return exams within 24hours and must give HW back the same way with ",meaningful comments", -don't ask!!) I am a bit wary of bending too many rules and I did not tell admin why I was out for surgery. I too teach HS, am I correct in guessing from your name you also teach English?

Oh gosh! ...and just when I think I have it bad! If you want, you can send me a private message. Maybe we can come up with something to make your new life better.

and, lol, yes, I do teach English, but as I do not use spell check on this site, I will deny it next time. :scared2:

Thanks so much for all the wonderful replies. I celebrated getting recertified by going bowling with my husband on Halloween night. We had a great time, even though neither one of us knows how and we had many gutter balls. I got two strikes and two spares in three games, and my husband had 4 strikes, 5 spares, and many splits that he couldn't get down. It was loads of fun, and a little exercise, too!

I love Dr. Martin, but he never said a word. The only thing he told me was no carbs, not even if the nutritionist said so. He really doesn't like carbs at all, does he? Anyway, I am losing so I guess I am doing okay.

I have been better since I did two days of liquids. I can eat, but have to do it very slowly and with some kind of dipping sauce. I really try to get in my Protein every day.

For the person asking about eating, I drink a Protein shake for Breakfast every morning. I like the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury strawberry or vanilla with Water, because they are not very sweet. I drink Water all morning (when I find the time to grab a sip) and have some kind of Protein for lunch. Sometimes cheese, sometimes tuna, sometimes salmon. I don't get hungry at all during the day usually, and I don't eat anything else until I get home at about 5:30 or 6:00. Once in a while I will hear my stomach grumbling, but I don't think I am hungry at all. I drink water all afternoon as well.

So far, so good! It's great to hear from so many teachers, and it is great to meet another patient of Dr. Martin's. Thanks for the congratulations and the great responses!:scared2: