Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

its not all about apperance...

my mother suffered a mild stroke at 50 years old yesterday morning due to high blood pressure. she is obese and was warned that a stroke or heart attack may be the result if she didn't lose weight or exercise. not all over-weight people are unhealthy...but it does go to show that there r so many dangerous health risk that come along with being obese. when i 1st started my journey all i cared about was my apperance...until i started to become fit and healthy and realized how good it feels....

my mother suffered a mild stroke at 50 years old yesterday morning due to high blood pressure. she is obese and was warned that a stroke or heart attack may be the result if she didn't lose weight or exercise. not all over-weight people are unhealthy...but it does go to show that there r so many dangerous health risk that come along with being obese. when i 1st started my journey all i cared about was my apperance...until i started to become fit and healthy and realized how good it feels....

Hey 2Fly! I am sorry to hear about your mom. I hope that she has a full recovery. You are one of the success stories, and I am so pleased that you are posting pics of your Tummy Tuck bc so few do and I want to know what I am getting into when the time comes.

Thanks,

Amy

Sorry to hear about your mother's stroke. I hope she makes a full recovery.

I will be 54 in less than 2 months and am so thankful I made the move to do something about my weight problem. Had numerous comorbidities, including extremely high blood pressure.

I now could run circles around any 19 year old and do it day after day. I never thought going into this that I would actually feel this great.

Again, wishing your mom the best in her recovery and congrats on your success as a lapbander!

Thank goodness it was "mild"...as mild as a stroke can be? I didn't do this for my looks. I did it to get rid of all the health issues I had and stop taking all the pills and to be healthy. If any good can come from a stroke (however mild or not), perhaps it will serve as a wake-up call?

Keep us posted on her progress, okay?

I hope your mum recovers well. My mum had a mild heart attack nearly 2 years ago at 66, and she was a little overweight, but we have a family history of high blood pressure and heart disease on her side. She's recovered really well, lost about 30lb and walks a good 5 miles a day as well as playing golf and going to Curves.

Like you, its made me realise what a great thing I have done for myself, health wise. My surgery was mainly about appearance because I was healthy but I felt at 38 I was getting older, and I was really worried about what sort of shape I'd be in by 50 if I continued to gain. I knew I couldnt avoid health problems forever.

Not a day goes by now that I dont feel absolute exhilaration at my physical condition and capabilities. I run along the road grinning like an idiot usually.

2Flyguys,

I am so sorry to hear about your mom, she will be in my prayers! I did lapband for all of the reasons mentioned, but mostly so that I cut my chances of heartattacks that run in my family. The rest is gravy oops i mean a cherry on top?!?

Keep us posted please!

D

So sorry to hear about your mom. I do hope she recovers well from this and will realize she has been given a wake-up call.

I didn't go into this b/c of my self image. I went b/c my PCP told me I wouldn't see age 70 if I do not do something soon. My obseity had finally caught up with me. I was always a happy fat person, felt no limitations, worked 14-16 shifts, and wasn't taking a lot of meds. I had to had a knee replacement due to a work related injury and my health made a huge turn in the wrong direction. In two years time, I went from 2 pills a day to 17 a day, COPD, a "flutter" in my cartoid artery, huge trouble with my legs, respiratory failure from asthma.

Now, I'm on the track of getting better health and the weight loss will just be a side effect.

Edited by LollyMoe
added a word

I was sorry to read about your Mom having a stroke. I hope she mends quickly and can reverse her risk factors. Good for you for losing all that wt and reducing your risk!

Mimi