Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

super tight from post nasal drip- do i get an unfill?

I don't know what to do. I got a really bad cold last week. I have been misrable all weekend- barely able to eat anything...

I called my dr and going in for flouro tomorrow which means I am in their hands for unfill- but worried if I get an unfill and my post nasal drip stops- I will be ravishing in a couple days.

That also means paying $100 to get my fill back

I have been doing the neti pot, taking claritin and even cough medicine to thin mucus and expecorant. All I have been able to get down today is tea and 1 small bowl of Soup.

Hi:

My surgeon suggests that if you get too tight because of post nasal drip that you should go in for an unfill (or partial unfill). Then he has you come back in two weeks and get it put back as long as your post nasal drip is gone. Too bad it's so expensive :biggrin:

I hope you feel better soon.

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

Hey Sue, is your insurance paying for any part of your Tummy Tuck?

Hey Sue, is your insurance paying for any part of your Tummy Tuck?

Hi:

I had rashes that were documented (and photographed) by both my LapBand surgeon and the plastic surgeon. Because of this, my insurance company picked up the cost of a panniculectomy (insurance covers with rashes) and I paid the difference to have the tummy tuck (considered cosmetic, without coverage by insurance). Medical costs are very high where I live. I was told that the insurance company was covering almost 2/3 of the cost, but my out of pocket cost was still $6,800. Well worth the money and the discomfort healing from the tummy tuck. I'm very happy with my flat tummy:cool2:. My hanging skin was really bad on my abdomen prior to my tummy tuck.:biggrin: They only cut off 4 pounds, but it seemed like there was 20 there to me. Good riddens!

Best wishes to you with your band.

Sue

Do you feel the post nasal drip kinda sticking in your throat? I have constant post nasal drip and I just had a cold and almost had to have what little fill I have taken out because of it. I have found that mucinex or mucinex d seems to thin the mucous to a point where it doesn't plug up the opening to the stomach so to speak. I take zyrtec every day and mucinex as needed and it does the trick.

hmmm... I wonder if that's what's going on with me, I hadn't thought of it until I saw this thread. I only have one fill and so far have had minimal restriction. But, since last night I've been very tight, took me 20 minutes this morning just to eat a little applesauce single, sniffling all the while. I'm going to try the mucines along with my allergy meds.

I gues if it's gets severe, there isn't much that can be done other that an unfill until the swelling passes, but the cost really sucks.

I have had chronic sinusitis my entire life and my surgeon suggested that I drink a glass of Water before meals (especially the first one of the day) to flush all the "snot" through the band. After drinking, I wait about 15 minutes for everything to pass on through before I eat, otherwise one bite and I am a sliming mess.

I agree with taking mucinex to thin out the mucous a little. If you can get fluids down easily enough, it might be worth going to a liquid diet for a couple of days until you feel better. Hot liquids like tea and chicken broth are going to work better for you then cold liquids. I also avoid dairy during those times because for me it seems to clog me up worse somehow. Drinking a lot of Water for me also seems to help clear up the mucous faster but that might just be anecdotal. If you can't get liquids down then an unfill is definitely in order.

I am not your doctor so going by what your doctor says is always better. For me, I have been in that position before and just waiting it out for a couple of days worked fine. Plus going to liquids for a couple of days usually helps me to lose a little faster for those days.

After you have been banded for a long time, you learn that there will be those occasional instances where you are tighter than usual. As long as you can get liquids down and it doesn't last for more than a few days, waiting it out seems to work fine.

I have had chronic sinusitis my entire life and my surgeon suggested that I drink a glass of Water before meals (especially the first one of the day) to flush all the "snot" through the band. After drinking, I wait about 15 minutes for everything to pass on through before I eat, otherwise one bite and I am a sliming mess.

Good idea, flushing it through beforehand makes a lot of sense. Warmer liquids help to flush it through even better.

Oh, one last thing I forgot to mention. My band doctor has a policy that if you go in for a fill/unfill, if you have to return before two weeks have gone by, the second return visit is free. Perhaps you should check with your doctor to see if that is the case for you as well.