Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling on creative Moms/Dads... Costume ideas

PamRN

It's getting to be crunch time for me. I always make my kids costumes for halloween, and I need some ideas for a cool costume for my 9 year old boy. He's "too old" for most of the cartoon characters I've suggested, isn't interested in yu gi oh or pokemon... He hates scary or gory costumes... Thinks being a tube of toothpaste, or a can of pringles is "baby stuff".

Last year we made him Luigi from nintendo, it was cute as hell.

I made him an awesome wwf costume of the "Hurricane" the year before.

He's very undecided this year, and I need to get started. I like to be original, no plastic masks here. My girls tell me that some of their favorite memories are of halloween in the different costumes we made. I'm not a seamstress, but can sew well enough to get by. I count a lot on stitch witchery, hot glue and fabric glue.

Any suggestions?

I don't know where you live and what the weather is like there, but he could be an Indian Brave if it's warm where you are. Or Tarzan would work too, both are in loinclothes(with shorts or pants underneath of course). Does he like any particular sport, you could dress him up like a football, baseball or hockey player or even a wrestler.

I'll have to think about this some more to see if I can come up with anything else. Good luck.

Cindy

When my son was 9 I made him Jack from the Jack inthe box..I took a baseball pinanta..removed all the fringe, painted it white cut a hole for his head to fit in it..then made the hat out of a styrofoam cone painted it yellow, did the eyes and nose, had him wear a a white shirt with black tie and black pants..he won best costume that year at school

I have made my son Elvis from a pair of white sweat pants, white zip up sweat shirt, and gold sequins. Oh and a piece of gold material for a cape!! Big black sun glasses with gold glitter glue to add to the whole onsom~ I also made him a pimp~ Made him a big fur jacket with fake fur...big gaudy gold buttons...and a big lepord print fly colar....To add...a black hat with the side tacked up, a band of lepord print material to match the colar, and a big yellow feather to match the yellow sweat pants that he wore. I also let him wear my costume necklaces too! Hey gotta be big pimpin ya know? I have also made him a wizard~ that was fun.

Proclyndoll-he Is Too Cute! I Love It. How Old Is He?

We Made My Husband The Hulk One Year. It Was So Funny. We Used The Yellow Tank Top And Yellow Spandex Shorts And He Wore A Blond Wig And I Painted On A Yellow Goatee. I Also Spray Painted Some Old Work Boots White. It Was Great! How About Napoleon Dynamite? He Could Wear A Curly Wig, Glasses And A Nerdy Old Suit. That Would Be Easy

IF it's COLD where you are, that quilted foil insulating material you can buy at the hardware store is WONDERFUL for costumes. I made my son great suit of armor of it one year (that silver tape held it together & crest glued on) and a robot the next. Only problem was the robot year we had SANTANAS (hot winds we get in so cal) and he was so HOT in the quilted insulating stuff he couldn't keep it on!

white long underwear, wrap gauze, instant mummy.

Or, you could just make him decide what he wants to be. Set a deadline. No idea, no tricker-treats. Snooze you loose!

You think threatening a kid with no tricker-treat isn't going to make him a partner in his costume??? Hah! Why is it your responsibility to come up with his costume? You've provided several ideas, he shot them all down. So, it's his turn.

PRETTYPINKKITTY ~ Thank you! My guy is now 7 years old! He was about 3 in the picture I posted. I couldn't get his wizard costume or his Elvis costumes to upload. Last year was the first year we used a store bought costume. It was a police man costume. A portion of the proceeds went towards the Widows fund. My boy has a thing for bikers and police men~ (So does his MAMMA but for totally different reasons :) ehehehehehe)

My boy has a thing for bikers and police men~ (So does his MAMMA but for totally different reasons :) ehehehehehe)

There's nothing like a police man..my husband is one and I just love men in uniform!

Making a costume is so much fun, sometimes I don't have the time so we elaborate on the store bought stuff. This year my 4 yr old will be the hulk and my 8 year old will be a glow-in-the-dark skeleton pirate! I love halloween!

My favorite halloween memory was when my Mom dressed us up as rodeo clowns! We found some old overalls that were ripped up & stuffed pillows in the gut area, lots of different colored bandanas & crazy socks. & of course face paint, a hat & mismatched shoes! Oh! Thermal underwear too! They look really good & are great for cold weather! People went crazy at every house we went to & my sister won an award for best costume in her grade! I love Halloween! I also loved dressing up like a gypsy! But that is more for girls! LOL! You could do a pirate though.

I was just thinking - Pirate, like Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean... I also like the Knight idea -- that's pretty easy to do, making a top and pants out of silvery knit fabric.