Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on July 22, and I'm sooooooo hungry! How do you get past this first week of Clear liquids? I'm fine during the day, I get my Protein and drink lots of Water. The evenings are the worst! I got to bed at 9pm just to not think about food!

I'm not in any pain and haven't taken any pain meds in a few days. I would say I'm 98% but I'm STARVING!! I'm going for my post op appt tomorrow and I'm going to ask if I can please start on soft food.

Anybody else feel like this?

(Not to mention, I'm a real bi*ch when I'm hungry and I have to apologize to my family every morning!)

Most people don't sit around laughing and cheerful when they are hungry and many of us were hungry post op. I came to in recovery starved.

What I did was 1. husband didn't eat around me, no cooking smells or food prep in house 2. I distracted myself by doing things 3. I remembered how crappy I felt when i didn't get the band because I cheated; that made it easier to just tell myself NO and hang in there 4. one time I sat and held a can of refried Beans and CRIED because I was hungry. BUT I DID NOT eat them.

It passes. The bottom line is...we just tough it out.

If you're healing okay, your doctor may say "yes" on the mushie food. My doctor gave me the "go ahead" on the fourth day past surgery. It made such a big difference! I was in heaven!

I hope you get the "okay"!!!!

I was banded on the 17th and all I can talk about now is how hungry I am! Im jus sittin here counting down until next monday cuz then I can have soft foods...I too go 2 bed early just so I can not think about food...People piss me off when they eat and say "im so sorry fab" but I jus smile and tell them "dont be sorry, I feel sorry 4 u cuz while im losing weight your gaining it" lol then they have nothing to say. I keep myself busy and I guess I just count down till soft foods...things will be ok 1 day..and remember nothing comes easy, we got to suffer to get what we want :smile2: thats what gets me through these days

I was banded on July 22, and I'm sooooooo hungry! How do you get past this first week of Clear Liquids? I'm fine during the day, I get my Protein and drink lots of Water. The evenings are the worst! I got to bed at 9pm just to not think about food!

I'm not in any pain and haven't taken any pain meds in a few days. I would say I'm 98% but I'm STARVING!! I'm going for my post op appt tomorrow and I'm going to ask if I can please start on soft food.

Anybody else feel like this?

(Not to mention, I'm a real bi*ch when I'm hungry and I have to apologize to my family every morning!)

You really shouldn't be THAT hungry if you are getting in your Protein and your fluids. There is no limit, as long as you are eating and drinking approved things, keep eating and drinking if you are still hungry. Starting the mushies too soon will affect your healing. I made sugar free Jello using a liquid Protein Drink as the "cold" Water part, and ate two or three servings a day. sugar free popsicles are awesome, especially if you miss sweets and chewing. Crystal light or Propel water to add some flavor to water, without sugar and calories. Add nectar Medical unflavored Protein powder to your chicken broth. Get 50-55 grams of protein in a day, your Vitamins and lots of fluids. Be creative with your options, and take it easy. Now is the time for healing, not really losing. The liquids part will be over soon, and scrambled eggs, yogurt and cottage cheese will never taste so good!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! My surgery was June 19. I just got through this, and you can, too!!!

Thanks for all your input. I'm glad I'm not the only one! It makes me feel good to know other people are dealing with this too!

I'm definitely getting enough Protein, I've been drinking a nectar chocolate Protein Drink a few times a day and I'm also drinking those New whey Protein test tube things that have 42g! All these fluids DON'T fill me up. I really wish they did. I'm even making my protein drink with fat free milk.

Like I mentioned before, I'm seeing my surgeon tomorrow and going to ask about starting the mushie food. If I can't my bedtime might have to be a little earlier!

I'm in this for the long ride and nothing is going to stop me from getting to my goal! It's just a tough road to get there.

I can definitaley understand the hungry, angry feeling. I was banded on June 19th and went though about 10 days of hell. I was hungry after the 3rd day and was dreaming about food. I thought I made the biggest mistake of my life and wanted to rip it out of my stomach just so I could eat. I wanted pizza and brownies and food that I never cared to eat before. A little over a month out I feel 100% better and think of that time as rehabilitation. Once you have the hill climbed you only have and eaisier walk down hill. I promise you will overcome this and read back this post in a month or 2 and see how far you have come...

Hey there

Well as you can see you are NOT alone. By my post op visit which was 1 week post op I was ready to chew of the doctors legs at the knees if he did not let me go on mushies. By that time I was two weeks on liquids and I was done with all that. So just hang in there this too shall pass.. Good luck on your journey!

I thought I made the biggest mistake of my life and wanted to rip it out of my stomach just so I could eat. I wanted pizza and brownies and food that I never cared to eat before.QUOTE]

lmaoooooooo i felt the same way! I jus wanted to rip it out my stomache jus so i can eat a plate of chineese food or something!!!!

I'm there with you, I woke up from surgery looking for some broth of all things, cuz I was so hungry. I am getting my Protein also, about 75 mg daily, and drinking and drinking and drinking.. still hungry...:smile2:

As I sip my lemonade, I am not tricking my brain into believing this is my food for now....

August 6th I start mushies, and let me tell you, its gonna be a mushie banquet! lol

I'm there with you, I woke up from surgery looking for some broth of all things, cuz I was so hungry.

broth? BROTH? MY lands woman are you a saint or something? I wanted a HAMBURGER! LOL

It's nice to know I was not the only human to come to starved to death. Sad, but nice! So many on here say things like "I'm 42 days post op and still not hungry" Bless them, I hate them! :smile2:

My gosh it's nice to see I'm not the only one!! Good luck everyone, WE CAN DO THIS! It's all in our heads!!

Restless, no, I am not a saint..I thought I was being tricky in asking for something allowed thinking I would get that...darn evil people, Water through a STRAW only day of surgery.. But I got my jabs in...

Hubby came back to see me in recovery and to tell me he was taking the kids home while they got me up to my room and I got a little nap.. He also asked me what I wanted him to bring me from home..as he was leaving I also asked him to bring me a big mac, large fries, xlarge soda.. The poor little nurse's eyes bugged out "OMG, you cant eat that you will bust your band!!!!!!!!!!!!" she shreeked at me.. I laughed so darn hard.... :thumbup: Then she comes up to me and tells me my Big Mac eating days are over. Which I nicely replied that no, I shouldnt eat the bread and probably not the lettuce, but the meat was fine and the sauce on the side would.. she rolled her eyes and walked away, lol!!!:biggrin:

My gosh it's nice to see I'm not the only one!! Good luck everyone, WE CAN DO THIS! It's all in our heads!!

Actually I think that it isn't in your heads. That's the point. There's that old emotional "head hunger" that many of us deal with (bored, sad, tired, lonely, happy, whatever)

and then there is true physiologic HUNGER that our body uses to tell us EAT SOMETHING!!!!

That's the hunger many of us do not have post op because of the surgery, swelling etc. But for others of us, like me, we don't have that luxury and are truly HUNGRY from the start. Head hunger is easier to handle than the body saying "feed me or I will make you regret it!" :biggrin: