Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there anyone from Long Island, New York? I would love to talk to people in the same area and maybe setup a support group. Let me know!!

Hi Sillygrilly, I am from Long Island and was banded on 6/19/09 by Dr. Fielding at NYU...I'd love to chat sometime :)

I'm from LI. Banded 7/10/09. I'd love to chat, let me know!

I was also banded and North Shore LIJ Syosset, but by Dr. Geiss. My surgery was 4/27. It's good to hear from some other people in the area.

Hi, I have a question to anyone already banded. My primary doctor who is also my cardio doctor tells me that he won't clear me until my BP goes down. BP is 140/90. Does your BP really have to normal for Lap-Band, or is this one of those doctors who thinks negativly about weight loss surgeries??? Should I go to another doctor???

PS I did everything pre-op all I need is the cardio clearance..

Hi, I have a question to anyone already banded. My primary doctor who is also my cardio doctor tells me that he won't clear me until my BP goes down. BP is 140/90. Does your BP really have to normal for Lap-Band, or is this one of those doctors who thinks negativly about weight loss surgeries??? Should I go to another doctor???

PS I did everything pre-op all I need is the cardio clearance..

Are you being treated for your hypertension? It is important to have your blood pressure under control before surgery. High blood pressure can cause strokes, heart attacks, pulmonary thromboembolisms... It can also effect blood flow to your organs. Most anesthetics signfficantly decrease blood pressure, however high blood pressure can be exasperated at times during surgery such as during induction when they're placing the tube down your throat or during particularly "painful" points of the procedure. I would make sure to get your hypertension treated. Hopefully once you start losing weight you will no longer need the meds, but it's important to have it under control at the time of surgery.

I have had high blood pressure for years. Under medication, it is normally around 140, which my PCP considers ok for me. When I finished my 2 wj pre-op diet my pressure was consistently around 110.

Because of my high blood pressure & history of heart trouble in my family my surgeon required a cardiac clearence, which also wound up including a stress test & caroted artery test.

As with everything else with this surgery, evry doctor seems to have their own way of doing things. Good luck.

Thanks for the responses,

I have always been a healthy big guy. My weight went up since I broke my leg back in March. I have been home on my butt since then. The last two weeks I've been on my stationary bike and using my BowFlex. Also no sweets. He gave me some BP meds, and I have been taking them. I go to him tomorow.

Edited by fatboy315

Hi!!! Long Island here also-- Suffolk COunty actually-- will be having my surgery 9/15/09-- FINALLY-- its been a long year of testing-- denials--and appeals but its totally worth it and i cannot wait!

I'm from LI also, suffolk county....i was banded on July 6th at winthrop by dr. collin braithwaite.

hows everyone doing that has been banded so far? I was banded on May 14th and I am down 34 pounds after 1 fill. I am waiting for my second fill to help speed up the weight loss cause I am not getting full yet.