Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello anyone taking the time to read this :]

So here's my deal, I'm almost 25 and I haven't been to a doctor since I was 18. I've been overweight since I was about 7 years old. I'm the only overweight person in my family, so there's no history there. Of course over the years I've dieted and exercised. I even had a personal trainer. During which I lost about .5 lbs per week, which isn't much when you're working your butt off and sticking to a strict diet. After so long she told me all she could think for me to do was see a doctor and pray, because God knows my body better than I do.

So I'm wondering what it was like when you first spoke to your doctor? I've never had a good experience with doctors and my weight, they'd usually say the same thing, diet and exercise. Which I understand is the best way, but how discouraging is it to lose .5 lbs a week?

I'm just worried this doctor will feel the same way. I don't want the next 15 years of my life to be like the last 15, I don't want to struggle every single day and not be able to just enjoy life.

How did you approach your doctor about the issue?

I'd been reading up on WLS for over 5 years before I decided to take the plunge. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you attend a seminar. You can find a schedule on lapband.com

The band does not work for everyone, but it usually works for the vast majority who follow the guidelines. Everyone looses at a different pace, but the norm tends to be 1 - 2 lbs per week. Many people drop 10 - 20 lbs during the first several weeks due to the high Protein liquid diet that is usually required pre & post op.

I recommend keeping a food journal, and write everything down. You may be surprised how much/little you are consuming.

This forum has lots of informative posts where you can get a good idea of others successes & struggles. It ain't easy, but its worth it.

Good luck.

A bariatric surgeon will NOT tell you to go "diet and exercise". Your first step is to see if your insurance covers Lap Band, and if it does, select an in-network surgeon/surgical center. You may not even need a primary referral; again that depends on your insurance. Good luck!

In order to have insurance cover a weightloss surgery you're going to need to see a doctor probably to refer you to a bariatric surgeron. If you see a doctor maybe you can get some blood work done to rule out other issues you may have. Possibly hormonal. That's when I found out I had an underactive thyroid. I was also the only one in the family who had a weight problem since I was young and I was a pretty active kid too.

What they said about going to a seminar is good too as you can learn about all your surgical options. Prior to my attending a seminar I had to have my primary care physician write a letter of necessity stating I should have the surgery but everyone is different and every insurance company has different requirements.

You're in a forum where either we all are fat or were fat and going to a doctor when you are can be a scary thing, I know and usually avoided it when I could. You just have to have the attitude that it's your life and your body and you want to take care of yourself and need the help of a doctor in doing so. Just because we're fat doesn't mean we're not worthy of taking care of our health! Good luck and keep us posted on how things go, Nancy.

I didn't need a referral; not everyone does.

Hey!

Thanks for all the advice, I have definitely done quite a bit of studying on the subject, which is why I've chosen lap band over gastric bypass, I don't feel I need that severe of a surgery. I'm not huge, but definitely unhealthy.

I have military insurance, 100% coverage. Has anyone else delt with military insurance? That would be helpful :]

I'm still curious what you said to your doctor the first time you brought it up? And what did they say to you?

Bumping thread in hopes to get replies.

when you talk to your doc, you just need to make sure that you go into detail and have documented any health problems you are having. especially anything such as high blood pressure or type 2 diabetes. make sure you ask to have blood work drawn. and as far as the surgery just tell him about the struggles you've had losing. any diet or exercise plans that you've tried and that didnt work for you. tell him you've been doing ressearch on WLS and what his suggestions are. i was lucky that my doctor really made things easy for me.

and restless is right that you dont necssarily need a referral or permission from your family doctor to have the surgery. but what you are more than likely going to need are 3-6 months of consecutive visits to your doctor regarding your weight problems. most insurance do require something along these lines. but you dont have to wait to see the barriatric surgeon to start getting those visits in. if you're seriously considering this and you've done your research i'd set up an apt as soon as possible to get things going.to be approved most insurances want you to have a BMI of at least 40 or a BMI of 35 and other weight related core morbities such as sleep apnea or high blood pressure.

i hope this helped a bit. and good luck!!

Ty Jennifer! Yours has been the best one! That was very helpful, I appreciate it a ton! I'm trying not to be too nervous about it, but while we have the insurance I'd really like to try and have it done :]

Edited by DukesDuchess

I went to my pcp and just said I was considering weight loss sg and wanted his opinion. He asked what research I had done and made sure I understood the options, then he told me he thought I was an excellent candidate and that he would support my decision 100%. I asked him if he had surgery which of the surgeons he would choose and he told me the doctor he trusted and had the most faith in. So that is the route I took and I could not be happier. It is not easy but it is working. It is also not quick so be prepared to be in it for the long haul.

I picked up from your first post that you get a little intimidated by the doctors. I have had a pacemaker for almost a decade, so I have been dealing with doctors regularly for years and I have a hard and fast rule that I live by. Your doctor is a tool for you to use for your better health. Period. And I have told every doctor that I have been to that exact thing. They are not a god that we must worship. They work for us. If a doctor has a God complex or isn’t willing to make the time to sit down and talk with you, kick them to the curb and move on to the next one. Life is too short not to work with someone who has your best interest at heart. You wouldn’t take that crap from a mechanic working on your car, don’t take it from a doctor.

Take your time and find a Doctor that will be a partner for this journey that you are about to begin. That is exactly where I am right now in the process and I have faith that we will both be successful. Keep us posted.

With military insurance (Tri-care?) I believe the requirements are BMI of +37 with one co-morbidity or BMI of 45 with no co-morbidities. I have seen threads on here in regards specifically to Tri-Care and the requirements and pre-op hoops you have to jump. Generally the rule of thumb is if you are 100 lbs overweight than WLS is an option over diet/exercise.

Good Luck and keep us all posted!!