Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PS I mean PORT FLIPPING!!

So Im 3 weeks post op and within the last day or so, I can REALLY feel my port. I was always able to feel it before, but now the "lump" feels bigger. Do you think this could be a flipped port or something else? I am sooooo worried about any isues occurign cause Im a cash patient and cant afford another surgery to fix anything. Can you share any of your port flipping stories and how you knew it was flipped? Did u have symptoms? Can you guys feel your port really bad?? Ive been excersizing pretty intensly at 2 weeks, but was told that was ok.

Edited by Rockstardiva36

Can't feel my port. Your BAND probably won't flip (!) it will be your port....

My port is tilted I had no pain I have no pain, and my doc still accesses it just fine. I think they often move around a bit but a move doesn't mean more surgery, necessarily. If I were you I'd just quit mashing it! :biggrin:

Haha oops I meant PORT not BAND...sorry! Ya I can feel my port BAD. I have a small stomach though so I dont know if thats why...Who knows...Thanks for your input

My port is twisted, and I have to have fills under fluroscope. It does hurt sometimes when I lay on my stomach, or my fiance rests his arm over my belly. And it does stick out a lot, but otherwise its no problem.

Well I just had to have a cat scan the other day. Let me explain.

I have had this pretty large feeling lump in my upper abdomen. I notice it because if I put my hand on it when I walk I can feel it moving. I have had it for a while and I keep forgetting to ask my dr what it is. I was thinking maybe it was the tubing going down to the port. So I saw my surgeon at work (I work at the hospital) the other day and it was on my mind and I had him feel it. Well at first he thought it was my rib...LOL But we were just standing in the hall in the hospital so he told me to come in to the office so he could examine it better. So I went in and while I was laying down he said he thought it was just my port, but when I stand up it seems to move way up my abdomen. But he wanted a cat scan to confirm that nothing was wrong. Well everything is fine but I guess my muscles either move or contract or relax or something so that my port seems to be about 6 inches higher when I am standing than when I am laying down. So to make a long story short everything is fine even though it feels HUGE when I am standing up but not so big when I lay down.

But you should still check with you Doc to make sure yours is ok too if it feels strange to you.

It might be that your swelling has gone down since surgery, so it just feels bigger because it's not surrounded by tender fluffiness. :confused:

I was so swollen after surgery, I couldn't find my port at all - all I could feel was the swollen area, and I thought, "ehhh... maybe, is this big lump my port???" Now, I can definitely feel it and know where it is.

But like others have said, even if it IS flipped, it still could be very functional, and it doesn't necessarily mean you'll need more surgery. I'm a cash patient, too, so I definitely know what you mean about not wanting any more expenses from this!!

Good luck! Let us know what the doc says.

PS I mean PORT FLIPPING!!

So Im 3 weeks post op and within the last day or so, I can REALLY feel my port. I was always able to feel it before, but now the "lump" feels bigger. Do you think this could be a flipped port or something else? I am sooooo worried about any isues occurign cause Im a cash patient and cant afford another surgery to fix anything. Can you share any of your port flipping stories and how you knew it was flipped? Did u have symptoms? Can you guys feel your port really bad?? Ive been excersizing pretty intensly at 2 weeks, but was told that was ok.

It is very common to have some scar tissue around your port after surgery. Sometimes it is a seroma, no big deal if that is what it is.

Most people feel something that is a bit smaller than half a golf ball and they swear it is their port. It isn't, it's something that will go away in a few weeks/couple of months. Then after it goes away they panic because they are just sure their port is floating around their body. ;o)

Thanks guys! I called my surgeon about it and he thinks it is just scar tissue. I have a fairly flat tummy and cant feel everything very well so I just worry! He said its prob nothing and he will check it when I come for a fill.

I get so confused cause many people on here say they cant feel their port at all and oh man I ccan sure feel mine. Guess each person varies!

if you port flips you will usually get tighter. Thus you would know due to smaller intake and should have prob. keeping things down. At least that is what happend to me. When my filpped the dr. could no longer inject the port site to drain or fill. Also the port does not usually filp until after a large amt. of weight loss. I was at around 115 lbs. down when it happened to me.

Good luck.

I can definately feel my port. Sometimes I think it feels bigger than other times and sometimes I don't think it is in the same place as it was before. Doctor said this is normal. It is a little odd though....I'm always afraid I am gonna dislodge it or something and it will be floating around in there....:thumbdown: Other people can feel it too....I think you are normal, don't worry. :biggrin:

My port site has been really buggin me today. I had surgery 6/25. I had been sleeping on the couch as it was easier to get in and out of but have been back in the bed which is very soft over the weekend so figure my innards are just readjusting but boy is it tender! Hopefully everything is OK! I had my 2 wk post op check - dr didnt do much but remove steri strips...but he seemed like everything was going fine.