Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plastic Surgery - Who's had it? ...

I'm looking into getting a breast reduction and lift, as well as a Tummy Tuck. While I'm just a little over half way through my weight loss, a friend talked to his surgeon and said when I hit the half way point, schedule a consultation with him. So I go in on Oct 25th for that.

Just wondering who out there has tried going two procedures at once. My hubby said he's fine with me doing it, but I better get it all done in one go lol - he's seen too many people become addicted to it and keep going back for new things. How painful was it? What was the recovery time like? Are you happy with the results? Did you wait til you hit goal or do it a bit sooner? Etc.

I'm lucky in the fact that I can work from home if need be, as well as take time off when I need to, so that's not really a huge deal, in that respect.

I've gone from a 44G to a 36G and unfortunately, my cup size hasn't changed at all since losing 50+ pounds and they're saggy as all get out (always have been actually) lol. I'm looking to go down to a large C cup or a small D cup. And the tummy tuck, well that's just self explanatory (or it would be if you saw my tummy hehe).

I have been emailing and talking to surgeons also. I am going to have an uplift and TT in January to give me enough time to heal before my wedding in Sept. My friend had a TT a month after my banding, the first few days she said she wouldnt do it over again, but now she said she would. It was the pain talking, her belly looks awesome, all flat and sexy. The ppl I have talked to do say it is painful but all say it is sooooo worth it.

You going to get any Lipo on the flanks or anything Jess?

Not sure yet about the Lipo. If the surgeon reckons I need it and he can do it all in one go, I reckon I'm up for it lol. I'm shooting for sometime between January - March .. although I'm not a bit fussy lol, long as I get it done.

I was googling the other night and found these awesome Thailand getaway packages - Tummy Tuck, breast augmentation and lip to hips, thighs and one other spot of choice for $14,000 Australian - that included 3 weeks accommodation in a resort and covered your support person as well. Just dreaming. Doug said he'd never consider me having cosmetic surgery outside Australia but I know someone who's done it and she said it was exactly like being in hospital here, totally professional, awesome results.

I'd be terrified of a tummy tuck - the scarring. But I havent seen what the scarring looks like long term. I'm just hoping and praying that my lack of stretch marks from 3 pregnancies, my smooth belly skin and relatively modest 35kg weight problem will mean that my tummy ends up OK out of this. I can even live with a bit of stretched skin but there's no way you'd do all this work and not fix a real problem is there?

But boy oh boy are my boobs going to need some attention. And I reckon a bit of Lipo too - I remember being 75kg and I was hardly model material then. I always had that hip and thigh thing going on.

Cosmetic surgery is always self pay in Australia isnt it? Does even very stretched belly skin following major weight loss fail to qualify as a medical necessity?

Parvathi i had a Tummy Tuck done 2 yrs ago and the pain was really bad

in the end it is worth it though

my scarring is very noticeable and i will never be able to wear bikinis...(not like i have the figure to anyways)

i lost alot of weight before i got it done and now i have gained all the weight back on plus top on more and the scar line isnt straight anymore...it curves

my tummy is still alot flatter and i would do it again if i had too

LOL Jachut - I've been reading up on some of those too. Found one in Malaysia that for recovery, you stay in a resort with its own Orangutan sanctuary. It's always been a dream of mine to go to Borneo and see the orangutans, so that just sounded dreamy. But my hubby, like yours, would never consider letting me have it out of Australia.

On the same site though, they had packages out of Cairns. While its not home (Melbourne), I could deal with a week or two of luxury up north hehe.

Fee, thanks for that :) I had kidney failure as a baby and have a scar right above my pelvic line from that - goes all the way across, similar to a c section scar, so I'm not too worried about adding another one to it. I've never really had a bikini worthy body anyways hehe.

I dont see why you cant pay a special premium on your health insurance and have it cover cosmetic procedures. I mean if you've got humungously big breasts or a very baggy saggy tummy after weight loss its not vain or unreasonable to want to fix that is it?

I had a Tummy Tuck and Lipo ten years ago, the tummy tuck did not hurt if you compare it to lipo. lipo really hurt bad. My tummy tuck scar is very low, I could wear a bikini. But that was ten years ago and now I've put on 100lbs.

I dont see why you cant pay a special premium on your health insurance and have it cover cosmetic procedures. I mean if you've got humungously big breasts or a very baggy saggy tummy after weight loss its not vain or unreasonable to want to fix that is it?

From what I've been told, if they do a reduction when they do the lift, it can be covered, cause of back issues and the like. It's just what I've heard though, so I plan on asking the surgeon when I see him next month.

I agree, I would gladly pay a higher premium to have that kind of stuff covered. Its something that I would probably only use once, but it'd be worth it.

I had a Tummy Tuck and Lipo ten years ago, the tummy tuck did not hurt if you compare it to lipo. lipo really hurt bad. My tummy tuck scar is very low, I could wear a bikini. But that was ten years ago and now I've put on 100lbs.

How long was the recovery for you, nickie? When you say the lipo hurt real bad, compared to the band on a scale of 1 - 10, where were they both? LOL .. just trying to get an idea of what I'm in for.

I had a friend who had the Tummy Tuck, she had her boobs put back into place and her thighs done. She was in alot of pain, but eventually she really looked great. I am going to have consider a boob job...saggy sallies showed snail prints in the sand...lol.

I went to a seminar not to long ago.. the surgeon said that yes some insurances will cover it because of health reasons (rashes for one) after 70 lbs i'll tell ya what... im ready for mine i swear all the weight was in the boobs.

But.. the surgeon did say there is a difference in what insurances pays for, and what a cash paying person would get. Basically it doesnt look as good.

Hi Parvathi, I live in Cairns, I think those surgeons (husband and wife) have their home set up for patients recovery. Don't quote me though...could be urban legend lol.

I have the understanding (not confirmed) that if the work you need is considered reconstructive rather than cosmetic most private health here will cover it. For example, I already have a *mummy tummy* from carrying two huge bubs and being overweight myself. My understanding is that once I lose my 40 odd kilos, any loose skin (I do not want to say apron lmao) would be considered reconstructive rather than cosmetic...I don't know about boob jobs. :)

While I have not had my Tummy Tuck done yet, I have done 99% of the chasing around for it (I have another 8kg to go, and plan to have that off by Christmas-ish and have my TT in the Jan school holidays)

My health cover will pay for the hospital, theater ect, and I pay the surgeon. After I have had it done, I take my receipt to medicare, I should get about $1000 of the $3600 I paid the surgeon back (he will be billing it as a reconstructive job) So I am told, anyway.