Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you cheated Post op???

I'm so hungry, I could eat anything....except for Protein Shakes, yogurt, Crystal Light or broth. Yuck! I'm sick of those things. What I want is yummy food!! I actually took a lick of ketchup....and pretended I was eating a corny dog. I also look a lick of gravy. Anybody have any ideas on stuff I could eat? I'm only 3 days post op! :blushing:

I'm 4 days post op and have not cheated on my diet. Its really important to me to let me stomach heal. I don't want to create any complications. I just started full liquids today and have been taking it very slow. I had about 6 ounces of a chocolate Protein shake (with a teaspoon of organic Peanut Butter mixed in). In between just sips of Water all day and Im going to have a little bit of a strained cheese Soup tonite (I make it with sodium free broth, fat free milk, tuna (but you have to strain the tuna pieces, its more for taste), and low fat shredded cheese, plus a pinch of salt and pepper to taste). When I can move on to mushy food Ill probably add some very well steamed, really mushy broccoli and puree it after its done cooking. Eventually Id also like to add a little more spicyness but not yet.

What kind of Protein Shake are you using? Do you like it? I use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury and it tastes delicious. The chocolate tastes like chocolate milk. Also there is a thread on here with Protein Shake recipes (I think over 200) to help make the shakes a little less monotonous. Anyways, if you don't like your Protein shake, maybe try out some other ones? I know Unjury will ship you samples so you can try it out before you buy an entire canister. I think its something like 1.75 per sample. Anyway, look in the cooking and nutrition threads, because there is also a section for recipes and its organized according to what post-op stage you are in.

Try not to cheat, for you own health. In a few short weeks you can eat food again! I have lost 5 pounds since surgery and 20 pounds on the preop diet. If there is nothing else, I use the weight loss as motivation. Good luck!:blushing:

I have not cheated our band dates were the same. I can barely put anything in mouth today I feel so sick.Like I need ginger ale to make me feel better I guess you can call it a sour stomach.

I have had to make myself drink at least one Protein shake.

the only thing I want are Popsicle.

My stomach is grumbling all the time but, I am not sure if I am hungry or it's gas. I think I could enter a belching contest:eek:

stay strong........

My shakes are Myocel (which is pretty gross) and Atkins...which I have gotten so tired of... I don't know why I'm being so difficult. I actually lost weight once doing Optifast liquids ONLY for 3 months.... After Oprah lost her first weight...I had 5 shakes a day, each 100 cal. and that was it!! I am a horrible cook, but your Soup sounds yummy. I'll try making it.

No, I have not cheated. Tempting as it may be, I just remind myself of the almost $20,000 my sweet husband paid out of pocket for my surgery, and of the post op pain I felt last week. Then the temptation evaporates. And believe me...I've been tempted! My hubby's birthday was this past Saturday, and for his party, I baked brownies, german chocolate cake, and caramel corn. (not to mention all the other wonderfully cheesy Italian foods that friends brought to the party.) I heard the little devil in my head tell me that it would be ok to lick the batter off the spoons, the bowl, take just a small bite, etc. etc. But I didn't give in. Otherwise, what would be the point of getting the lap band? Stay strong...it will all be worth it when you reach your goal! :blushing:

I'm so hungry, I could eat anything....except for Protein shakes, yogurt, Crystal Light or broth. Yuck! I'm sick of those things. What I want is yummy food!! I actually took a lick of ketchup....and pretended I was eating a corny dog. I also look a lick of gravy. Anybody have any ideas on stuff I could eat? I'm only 3 days post op! :confused:

I dunno, get a straw and do like in those Dairy Queen commercials where they drink the gravy through a straw!

JUST kidding (barf).

I have no answers for you, but this time next week I will be in your shoes probably articulating the same sentiment!

I told my husband the licking the ketchup part and he cracked up! Then he went in and got a corn dog grrrrrr ! LOL! :blushing:

(Oh and I agree with isaviolinist, the unjury products are the best tasting Protein drinks I've found. I ordered the samples, 4 of each, and they are getting me through this liquid pre-op phase!)

I'm 2 weeks post-op today. I haven't cheated since the surgery. Hang in there - once you get to the mushie stage, it gets a lot better. It may not look great, but it is oh soooooooo wonderful to be eating (if you can it eating) foods with flavor. I love the Unjury chicken broth. Its a great way to get your Protein in, and tastes good. I add it to Soups & mashed potatoes, or just have it as is. Only 4 more days to solids. YAY! I'm amazed at how the discomfort/paain after the surgery is just a faint memory already.

I have been so tempted. I licked barbque sauce. I stoppped after the lick I was so afraid it would make me sick. My first 3 days post op were miserable. I know the pain your talking about. I thought my tummy was eating its self.I stopped all the sugar free stuff. I felt like it was just bloating me more. I was only able to get in 20 grams of Protein. Drank to keep myself hydrated. By the 5 or 6 day It was like magic the gnawing pain stopped, and i was able to tell hungry pains from just pain. I would feed my body and I would feel better. My energy was returning and I was able to walk abit around the track at the park. Switched back to the SF stuff. Now I'm 10 days post op and my intake of 60 or more protein and about 820 calories per day. Just 7 short days ago, I remember post op day 3 was the day I ask my husband to Shot me and put me out of my misery. Thank god He loves me.

PLEASE don't cheat! It isn't worth it. I learned the hard way after cheating on my preop (and not getting the band placed the 1st time!)

Post op it is imperative that you let yourself heal. If you eat anything much that needs to be chewed (aside from jello) it causes peristalsis and your stomach churns and moves. You don't feel it, but it happens. This action can rip loose your sutures. Cheating on the post op diet is a major cause of band slippage. Worse, you may loosen a suture but not know you did and have a slip down the road (or erosion) and think "why me"

The post op diet is short in the vast scheme of things. Man up and get through it. You'll be proud of yourself, AND...you'll set yourself up for a good band experience.

You can do it!

To the OP:

Glad to hear you're going to try the Soup. If you want, you can look at my blog: Violinist With A Band. I put the soup recipe up on there, with detailed instructions (although its very easy), plus nutrition facts. Let me know how you like it!

PLEASE don't cheat! *snip* If you eat anything much that needs to be chewed (aside from jello) it causes peristalsis and your stomach churns and moves. You don't feel it, but it happens. This action can rip loose your sutures. *snip*

Wow! That was very informative! I knew it was a healing period but didn't know what the really big deal was if solids were introed too soon!

I think the doctors or their staff should have THIS info in their material.

Often if people really understand the WHY about something, it makes it easier for the mind and body to be in sync with the instructions!

Seriously, that's really important detail! Thanks for sharing it!

I'm 2 weeks post-op today. I haven't cheated since the surgery. Hang in there - once you get to the mushie stage, it gets a lot better. It may not look great, but it is oh soooooooo wonderful to be eating (if you can it eating) foods with flavor. I love the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth. Its a great way to get your Protein in, and tastes good. I add it to Soups & mashed potatoes, or just have it as is. Only 4 more days to solids. YAY! I'm amazed at how the discomfort/paain after the surgery is just a faint memory already.

In you post you said that today is been 2 weeks for you being banded, when were you banded? and you said you will start solid in 4 days! lucky you. I was banded june 6 went on liquids for 2 weeks, and have to go for 2 weeks mushies, then i can start solids on july 5....... can't wait to be able to eat real fooooooooood.

I was banded Jan 20, and believe me I wanted to cheat, but didn't until the last day or two of the 2 week liquids (I had 2 croutons and dipped them then chewed and obliterated them)...and I loved the mushies stage, and still have some of the things now after a fill (1 day liquid, 1 day mushies). I recommend you make a list of all the foods you are dreaming of/tv commercials that are driving you crazy, then you can make these foods or get them and blend them during the mushy stage. No, they aren't pretty, but they taste like heaven after 4 weeks of liquids!! I made a lot of Soups and blended them during the liquid stage, then you get full flavors (not just broth) with spices like cumin, coriander, and others and feel more like you are eating real food. The strained cream of chicken Soup made with skim milk was also really thick and dreamy in the later part of week 1.

Good luck!! Stick to it, it's worth it!!

In you post you said that today is been 2 weeks for you being banded, when were you banded? and you said you will start solid in 4 days! lucky you. I was banded june 6 went on liquids for 2 weeks, and have to go for 2 weeks mushies, then i can start solids on july 5....... can't wait to be able to eat real fooooooooood.

Hi Nano,

I was banded on Jun 8. I had a very strict pre/op diet -2 weeks of just shakes, SF Jello, caffeine free SF drinks & up 2 cups veggies. No fruits.

Post op, diet is "Thin Liquids" - caffeine free, SF, non-carbonated beverages, plus at least 2 watered down Protein shakes. That was supposed to be for 10 days, but I went for my check-up on day 8, and since everything looked good, I was allowed to start on mushies that day. YAY! I'm on mushies for 10 days, and then start solids. My first fill is scheduled for July 8, one month after surgery.

So far, I have not had any problems with anything coming back up. I should only be so lucky in the future. LOL. Joan

Suzette, here are a few suggestions. sugar free popsicles (I really like the Crystal Light ones) are so tasty that you think you are cheating. French onion Soup (minus the melted cheese on top, of course). Ditch the broth that comes in cans or boxes....that stuff has almost no taste at all. Do this:

In a large pot, put a whole chicken, or some chicken leg quarters, cover with Water. Take an onion and cut into quarters (don't even bother to peel it). Add chunks of carrots and celery. Put in a bay leaf and some minced garlic. A little salt and pepper. Simmer until the chicken falls off the bones. Strain out all the solids. Now you have chicken stock with some real flavors!

Do the same with a cheap cut of beef or a bunch of stew meat. Now you have great beef stock. And, when you can start having a little more in the way of "full" liquids, puree a can of tomatoes and add to the strained beef stock. This is really tasty!

When you can have some "full" liquids, then SF yogurt and SF pudding will become favorite treats, too.