Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded May 18th, self pay. Used some of my savings to pay for my surgery because I work for the state and our insurance does not cover any bariatric procedures. ( I did wait until I built up enough savings to have 6 months salary left after taking out for the surgery).

Then, I read our update this week because the state legislative session has just ended. Guess what? They are allowing state insurance to cover bariatric procedures 'when it will not increase insurance rates'. Not sure what that part means, but damn!! I had no idea this was even up for discussion, or I might have waited.

that really stinks!! But you can't change it so try to happy you took your health into your own hands and didnt wait for someone to give it to you

Kind of a similar situation here...banded on 3/19, self pay because my insurance wouldn't cover it. Then, the school district I work for changed insurance carriers. I just keep telling myself that at least it's done and I'm not waiting for approval, or have to do a long pre-surgery diet.

Yes, look on the positive side. You don't have to jump thru all the insurance hoops, pre-op diet, psych eval, waiting, appeals...

I self paid because I didn't want to do mess with all that and I was ready to make a change immediately!!!

You just never know what's going to happen in the future. The money can be replaced with time and during that time your weight will be decreasing. Make it a challenge for every $$ you add to your savings, a pound is lost.

I am a self pay also because my insurance will not cover any weight loss procedure, even doctors visits. It's only money and I'm more important than that.

Good luck on your journey.

Well, I'd be a bit ticked, too. But, maybe you can look into it and see if they'll cover your fills. Then you can put that money back into your savings.

You know what I am still on the six month gnarly long pre op diet just to turn around and submit papers and hope that I somehow qualify. If I could self pay I would! Think of the huge jump start you have and I wonder if your insurance will cover it if you ever need a resurgery? That is a bit of a bummer but be glad you are on the way down :biggrin: YOu could still be gaining weight!

I'm not terribly upset about it, just cursing the irony of it all. I'm glad I have it done and now that it's done I wish I had done it years ago.

My mom was only 48 when she died of congestive heart failure and was terribly overweight her whole life, but no more overweight than me at the time of my surgery. I'm 43 now and knew I had to do something. I hate that she wasn't around to see her great grandkids, they are so awesome. I plan to be here and be healthy and active for mine.

But, I haven't told my hubby about the addition of bariatric procedures to state insurance covered procedures. He would #&$* a brick. :( Although, maybe I will tell him just for kicks to see him freak out. (kidding) ... His job is stressing him pretty bad right now, I may wait a while to fill him in on the news. :biggrin:

So sorry to hear about your mom. That had to be tough losing her so early like that.

I also understand your irony comment!

Another good thing about having self-paid is the absence of those annoying billing codes that insurance companies use to track pre-existing conditions. If, God forbid, you develop any condition remotely related to obesity, insurance companies will use those codes to avoid paying for treating it. You won't have an insurance record of your surgery, so it won't come back to haunt you in the future. :)

and you are well on your way to a new self.

I'm waiting for the day, actually emailed the insurance company asking them to update their two year old position paper today. I will be happy for the others when it finally happens.