Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

400lb and clueless...pls read

Today i met with my surgeon for the first time, and he totally crushed ma lil dreams..:frown:I'm 400lb and i was interested in getting the LB, but due to my weight and my BMI this is something "he says" i should not consider... now when i first started doin my research the whole reason for not getting the GB was because of the weight loss sooo fast, and the access skin and the cosmetic surgery most likely needed after being that my weight is high, and with the LB you are losing it at a slower paste so not as much skin...I'm clueless of where do i go now... my surgeon actually told me i should really think about if i want surgery being thaI'm in perfectly good health besides my weight... i no that this procedure is a tool and this is the reason why want it so i can actually see light at the end of the tunnelll.. do u know of anyone who has either had the LB weighing 400lb or someone who has had GB and didn't have access skin, the last thing i wanna do is have to go through cosmetic surgery!! please share all your thoughts...:thumbup:

Hi ms, I think if the lapband is really your surgery of choice, I would get a second opinion with a different surgon. I have heard of ppl losing 200 lbs with the band, but it is hard work and there still might be excess skin to deal with. Im not sure your hight, or what your goal weight should be, so its hard to say. Many ppl have to try and lose weight for 6 months before surgery, maybe you could lose some, and the band could be more attainable. Id get a second opinion and go from there.

wishing u lots of luck in your journey,

amy

I agree with Amy. I'm not even banded yet, but if the lap-band is what you want, then you should be sure that it isn't an option for you before you give up. Different doctors treat patients differently, so I would check around. If you've been reading on this board very long, you can see the differences in pre op diets, post op diets, etc. Besides, even if you don't have a lot of health problems except for your weight, wait a few years and you will. At least that's how it was for me.

I hope I have helped you some. Just please get at least 1 more opinion before you give up. It's your body and you should have the surgery you want if it's obtainable.

Joan

hey there ms.,

I agree with everyone else who has posted. I want to add my story to help you: I was 385lbs when I had my surgery last May. The doc is right, the weight loss is slower with the band than with bypass, but don't waste time with a doc who doesn't believe in you. It's working for me because I choose to make it work. I haven't updated my ticker, but I'm down 62 lbs and counting.

Bottom line: find the right surgeon. This one isn't it. Don't give up. If you want a band, do what you can to get one. You won't be sorry you did. I'm not.

Good luck to you.

if lapband is what you want then find a surgeon who is willing to help you, instead of talk you out of it! my uncle weighed 450lbs and it was the day his gb surgery was scheduled and his dr. chose to cancel his surgery, and for my uncles health reasons.. ultimately the dr. talked him into lapband.. and he is down to 250lbs.. and you would never know based on his skin that he was ever that big! hope this helps?

Ok, regardless if you have the band or the GB you are more than likely going to have the excess skin,but sweetheart that should be the least of your worries. At 25 you have plenty of time to worry about the excess skin. Your health is more important than anything. I have been heavy most of my life and have missed out on so much by being so overweight. You can do something about it NOW.Get your life and health back so you can enjoy the wonderful years ahead of you. My friend ,who was my inspiration for me getting the band , weighed in at 406 on the day she was banded ,lost a total of 165 lbs in her first year. Totally amazing, she looks and feels wonderful.To date has lost 185lbs. She is twice your age and then some , so the excess skin is not on the top of her worries. She just throws on a pair of Spanx. :laugh: I was banded Jan 28th and have lost 27lbs. I don't have much restriction yet so my weight loss has been a little slow. Hopefully with my second fill I will get more restriction(Jan 12th). Whichever way you choose to go(and you should have a choice) I think it will be a journey that you will never regret. Hang in there , and good luck. Paula :cool2:

My hightest weight was 437 and that was what I was before I started this journey- I too worried about the excess skin but after doing my research I realized that oer 60% of all people at some point in time will have some sort of procedure done before they die regardless if they have weight loss surgery or not- I talked to a personal family friend who is a plastic surgeon and he said you (I) should not even think, worry, get workied up about anything until I am at least 2 years out from my surgery. My surgeon has encouraged me to exercise more and try to tone- this helps with the excess so that you are toning as you are losing and for that I have decided to join Curves; we get a discount wtih the lap band.

I would hate to see you discouraged because of your fear of plastic surgery- most likely it will be inevitable... But please seek a 2nd opinon with a surgeon that will a) agree to do the LP for you and :cool2: offer some encouragement.

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer if I am able...

Good luck!

If you chose lap band because you didn't want excess skin I have bad news: If you lose a lot of weight FAST or if you lose it SLOW...if you're going to have saggy skin, you're going to have it. Whether or not we have baggy saggy skin depends on many factors: our age, our skin type, our nutrition, how long it's been stretched, how MUCH it's been stressed, past sun exposure, etc etc. What it does NOT depend on is losing really slow. Trust me, if it can bounce back it will.

So if that's your reason for chosing the band, then get Roux-en-Y without any worries. Either you'll have saggy skin or not; the speed with which you lose won't impact it.

AND...skin is an ORGAN. Exercising may tone the muscle underneath the skin (and that is good for you! Exercise, that is!) but it doesn't reduce the skin. When you see someone who is muscular...they are just that: muscled. IT isn't that their skin is all tight or in nice cut mounds, but that their muscles are big.

Not to discourage you but saggy skin can be hidden (unlike fat) and you can have it surgically removed if you need to. I always figured I'd rather have a Tummy Tuck than open heart surgery because of blockage from being fat.

Get a new Doctor. This Physician doesn't have enough experience to do this surgery with patient's that are your weight. You wouldn't want him doing it anyway as his comments show his inexperience. If your in Napa their are plenty of Physician's at the big hospitals that have that experience. Lots of people have posted who have been at a high starting weight so his comments are not reliable. You don't know what your skin is going to look like after losing that much weight. I have friends that look great and have lost 150 lbs so that is something you have to wait and see nothing is guaranteed as far as needing cosmetic surgery. At this point I will take hanging skin compared to my 150 pounds overweight. Good luck to you. Mine is in July!

Im on board with all the others that said "FIND A NEW DOC". Not once was i ever discouraged from having my lapband procedure and i started at 359 lbs. Please do not let the issue of lose skin get in the way of making your decision. Saggy skin can be covered, trust me i know.. i do it every day. My sags and bags are covered in the fabulous new clothing i can now buy in any store of my choice! Size 34-36 womens pants i started in and last week i bought a size 12. You can do it too!

If you chose lap band because you didn't want excess skin I have bad news: If you lose a lot of weight FAST or if you lose it SLOW...if you're going to have saggy skin, you're going to have it. Whether or not we have baggy saggy skin depends on many factors: our age, our skin type, our nutrition, how long it's been stretched, how MUCH it's been stressed, past sun exposure, etc etc. What it does NOT depend on is losing really slow. Trust me, if it can bounce back it will.

So if that's your reason for chosing the band, then get Roux-en-Y without any worries. Either you'll have saggy skin or not; the speed with which you lose won't impact it.

AND...skin is an ORGAN. Exercising may tone the muscle underneath the skin (and that is good for you! Exercise, that is!) but it doesn't reduce the skin. When you see someone who is muscular...they are just that: muscled. IT isn't that their skin is all tight or in nice cut mounds, but that their muscles are big.

Not to discourage you but saggy skin can be hidden (unlike fat) and you can have it surgically removed if you need to. I always figured I'd rather have a Tummy Tuck than open heart surgery because of blockage from being fat.

Damn you and your sage wisdom, Monkey!!!!

I agree find a new doc. I'm 405 lbs and my doc says the band is perfect for me. Check out the Doctor forum or do a search for for Dr and San Francisco. I believe there are a few people who have used Dr's in SF and liked them.

Good luck

When I started researching about the lapband, I was at 430 pds. I was also worried that my surgeon wouldn't do the surgery because of my BMI.... but after researching, I found that lapband surgery has been done on pt's weighing over 500 pds. I started trying to lose some just to make post op easier on mysef. The day of my surgery, April 8th of this year, my weight was 374.... I'm 4 weeks post op and have lost 18 more pounds. Yes, you can have lapband surgery and be successful at it. Weight loss is slower which is one of the reasons I wanted it. And yes, I'll probably have loose skin when all is said and done. That was one of my concerns and the reason I put it off as long as I did. Been heavy and healthy my entire life....until last fall. I started having some real issues with my health and it was because of my weight. And at 44 years old, it was just the beginning of what was ahead for me. So I decided that I'll deal with the loose skin when the time comes. Now, after losing to where I am... I can walk 2 miles a day, no feet pain, no leg pain (soreness yes, but no pain). I can walk and keep up with my family, and I'm not outta breath.... I can walk up and down my stairs without having to take one step at a time... I can go shopping at Walmart for a couple hours and actually be able to walk the next day too! I have more energy, feel so much better, and am enjoying life. Yes, I have lots more to lose...at least 200 more pds.... but look how much my quality of life has increased with the amt I've lost so far! I'm excited and would encourage anyone to do this if possible. And if your surgeon doesn't agree.... dump him and find a good one!!! Many blessings on your journey!!!

Get a second oppinion! I think you should do it! I have a friend who was over 500 pounds, and he has lost 200 now and looks wonderful! He says its the nicest thing he has ever done for himself~! good luck!!

SECOND OPINION!!!! Did I shout that loud enough? I don't know where you live, but you should be able to find another weight loss surgeon to visit. At 400 pounds, you will probably have some loose skin regardless of which surgery you choose but exercising regularly for muscle toning will help some. No way to predict how much. My surgeon told me not to even think about plastic surgery until 2 years after reaching goal because even after you stop losing, your muscles continue to get more toned and your skin continues to retract to the limits of its ability.