Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery in October. I was self pay and I thought that the money that I spent would be more than worth it. I never expected that this journey would be easy (OK, deep down I hoped it would, but knew it wouldn't be). I lost 35 pounds and then wasn't feeling much restriction. So, I went for another fill. The doctor couldn't find the port after poking me about 20 times. SO, I got it done under xray (for $450). About a week after the fill I had no restriction. I went back to the doc today to get my free in office fill. He couldn't find the port again, even now that he knows that my port is a little tilted and moves when he injects it. I feel totally hopeless right now. I got a lecture about how I need to only eat Protein and hardly any carbs so I can feel full and how I need to do this on my own until he can get me into the hospital to do the fill. I am fully aware of the fact that I need to work to make the Lap Band work, but I feel like I am up the creek with no paddle. I have started eating more because I am depressed that I have gone through all of this and spent all of this money and it isn't working the way that I want it to. I could be at this point had I just dieted on my own. I know that I need to be patient and wait for my fill, but what do I do in the meantime? I work out a lot, so that isn't an issue, it is all about the eating and I am hungry all of the time, only worsened by the fact that I'm depressed because I keep eating!! I know, bad cycle. So, I called my nutritionist to make an appointment. I am also going to go to a support group even though I always talk myself out of them because I feel like a failure and don't want to listen to people who are doing everything the right way! Okay, I feel a little better now that I have vented. Thank you for listening!

Just keep with it is all I can say. I was just recently banded...so I haven't been on the journeys, but don't give up. Part of this journey is learning to think about food differently and to really recognize hunger pain too. Have you ever had your thyroid tested? That can affect your hunger levels too...Good luck to you!

Thanks for the encouragement. I do have thyroid issues, but my medication is regulated. The main problem right now is that I can eat large portions of things, even dry chicken and not feel full at all.

outside of a lecture, did he offer to go in and reposition your port? unfortunately for many (me included) the band does not work w/out fills/restriction.

He didn't offer to reposition the port. OF COURSE, I thought of asking about that after I left the office. I left there crying, but I definitely plan on calling him tomorrow and asking just that. I know that it isn't necessarily his fault that he can't access the port, but I do think that he should do all that he can to rectify the problem!

I wonder if it is possible for you to find another doctor...or to have an open, conversation with your current doctor.

You must be experiencing a lot of disappointment...I hope everything works out!

I'm not sure if I can use another doctor...since I am self pay, my doctor covers the appointments and fills for the first year. My doctor isn't very easy to talk to, he is Russian and very stoic. I think that I am going to call to talk to him of make an appointment tomorrow to see if I have any other options.

I know that it isn't necessarily his fault that he can't access the port, but I do think that he should do all that he can to rectify the problem!

actually it might be - but that's pretty difficult to prove.

his/her job is to secure the port for access to fills - if that's not possible; i'd put the pressure on for a "fix".

sorry your going through this!!!

I'm kind of with you snorkel!

I'm down over 40 pounds total, but around 33 since the band.

I feel like I finally have restriction, but haven't lost more weight...what's the dealio with that?! Seriously, it took 6 months to get restriction and then no weight loss....I wish I had the balls to have gone the sleeve route, but live and learn!

I'm also self pay sweets. I'm still positive about the band, but thought my hard work would pay off more by now! Grrrr...at least I look good enough to be in pictures again. I no longer have to be hidden behind someone, lol.

I sympathize sister!

I hear ya! I am definitely happy that I have lost the 30 pounds that I have lost, but I am frustrated that I haven't gotten any restriction in 6 months really. I hope your restriction starts helping you! I'm glad to be back on here ( I had been avoiding getting on here, in denial) and chatting with all of you wonderful people that are going through the same thing that I am!

I totally know what you mean...I haven't been on here very much lately too...I think I got a little burnt out on it :(

It amazes me that people banded around the same time as us have lost up to almost 100 pounds!!! Holy moly how is that even possible, you know?!

Not sure if I will go to my next fill appointment since I do finally feel restriction and I'm getting stuck for the first time since banding. Luckily I have never pb'd. I thought by now I would have a better understanding of fills and the band, but it's curious to me about still not losing weight since I have restriction.

Good luck and let's keep in touch...even if it's not on this site :)

Edited by cattoy71

Hmm...maybe meet with the nutritionist to make sure you are eating foods that don't slip through the band? I'm not sure why some people have it a lot easier than others with the band. It definitely is frustrating!

The reason he is telling you to eat more Protein and less carbs is pretty straight forward. Protein digests more slowly than anything else you can put into your tummy. It fuels the engine efficiently. Carbs convert to pure sugar very quickly, digest fast. What does that mean? That the protein will stay in your stomach longer and therefore you will feel full longer. So you prepare your meal. A serving of protein, which would be approximately the size of a deck of cards. A vegetable or two. And only after you've eaten that, if you are still hungty should you eat any carbs. If you do eat carbs, they should be whole grain. If you get hungry in less than 4 hours after a meal, you should snack on, you guessed it! PROTEIN. A boiled egg, some deli sliced turkey, an ounce of low fat cheese. If you aren't eating this way, then yes, you are throwing your $20K down the drain. Does all that mean you can't have a treat every now and then? No. But a treat every now and then isn't every day. I have a small bit of birthday cake at work once a month when we have our monthly birthday party. I order the cakes and know they are fantastic cakes. Do I have a regular-sized piece of cake? No. I'd like to, but I don't. I have what amounts to about 4 little bites. But I do really enjoy it.

As for your problem with your port/getting fills, I agree with another poster. You need to ask why he hasn't said he would open that incision and re-anchor the port more firmly so that it isn't tilted so that he can do the fills you have to have in order for this whole thing to work!

Hmm...maybe meet with the nutritionist to make sure you are eating foods that don't slip through the band? I'm not sure why some people have it a lot easier than others with the band. It definitely is frustrating!

Hey travel, I didnt have to self pay but I am right there with you on the what if it doesnt work for me syndrome. I see these people loosing 10 - 12 lbs a week and think about the 5 months it took me to loose 40lbs. I am thankful for what I have lost but I am filled to 8.5cc's and I am still not l loosing any faster, arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I hope you can get your port issue fixed! Just hang in there. Good things come to those who wait right?????