Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just don't understand it. I mean I feel like I'm doing everything right and the scale WILL NOT BUDGE. I've even upped my workouts from 30 minutes a day to 45 minutes a day. I do circuit training one day and then intensity training on the elipitical the next about 5 - 6 days a week. I'm doing myfitnesspal and logging everything I eat. I'm eating about 1200 - 1500 calories a day. I'm struggling with even this amount because I have pretty much no restriction. Sometimes in the morning, I get a little stuck but other than that, I can tell absolutely no difference than the way I felt before the band. I had my first fill about 3 weeks ago. Next one is May 11th. My doc waits 6 weeks between fills and only adds 1 cc at a time. I'm so frustrated!!! I mean I went from probaley eating 4000 calories a day and zero exercise to doing all this and I STILL can't lose weight. WHAT is wrong with me????

Then to top it all off, while taking my daughter to a dentist appt this week, the receptionist asked me "what are you having?". Confused I said "excuse me?" She then said "what are you having a boy or a girl?" I was like "ummm...neither, I'm not pregnant!". She apoligized profusely but I was humiliated. I mean it took everything in me not to break down in tears in the lobby. So embarassing.

Repost from another thread:

Cheat.

This is something that we did in my Weight Watchers days (pre-banded).

Four of us were going together and we all hit plateaus at the same time. It was suggested that we try cheating once in a while to see what would happen.

So we would do our regular program diet for the whole week then on WWs night we would go weigh in and then go to dinner - usually across the street at Marie Calendars (ever notice how all the WWs are next door or across the street from really good places to eat).

We would order whatever we wanted for dinner and even pie, then the next morning back on program.

We never plateaued again.

Hope this helps,

-BSG

I haven't had my surgery yet, but it definitely sounds like you're being too hard on yourself. You just got banded and you're doing everything you should be doing! I have done the cheat thing and it definitely works! I normally cheat once a week once weight loss slows down, but nevertheless, I think you should continue on...I KNOW you'll get great results!!!!

i dont know about the cheating part but i would like to suggest a bodybugg www.bodybugg.com this will help you keep track of your food and also help you keep track of the calories you burn. its a great device i have one and it helped me alot. umm... if you have a 24 hour fitness then i would suggest you go there to buy one if not try ebay they are pretty close to the price at 24 hour fitness. its a great device because you input your food intake and wear it through the day it will tell you how much you are actually burning compared to how much you are taking in. also not saying you arent but you have to eat certain foods. not just push the calories back. alot of stuff you wouldnt imagine actually hurts you and you dont even realize it. nutrition is a big part of this process and it seems to me you are doing well on the excerise part so maybe reevaluate your food to see how much Protein you take in how much fat and how much carbs things like that to see where it all is going. i know its a bit hard but with that education i can pretty much say you can lose it with ever plateauing.

Thanks for all the advice. I may try cheating, but I'm a little scared to. I'm so afraid of something setting me back.

As far as the bodybugg, I've thought about that. They are expensive and not in my budget right now. So i'm doing the next best thing, I think, which is logging into a food site like, myfitnesspal. I know I'm getting enough Protein, but maybe getting a few too many carbs. Karen, what percentages of protein/fats/carbs do you eat?

Jill, i know exactly how you feel. I was banded jan. 5th of this year and im only down close to 40lbs. i know it sounds like a lot but the majority of that was in the first 2 months. the past 2 months have been super slow and i feel like im doing something wrong, even though im bein faithful to walking everyday and watching what i eat and how much (even though my restriction isnt all that great and my next fill isnt until next month). i havent lost a single lb this past week, im just maintaining. i know i should be happy with not gaining but i was self pay and it jus really frustrates me that i paid all this money of it and its not working. im really gonna talk to my dr. at my next appt and mybe we can figure something out. dont give up or get discouraged, it will get better, jus try to stay focused. =)

Sounds like a plateau. How long have you been doing that same workout? Maybe you need to change things up a little. Drop cardio to 4/wk and add in an extra weight training day. Or try something totally different.

I second the motion to CHEAT!! I think that you are restricting your calorie count so long your body feels it is starvation mode so it is hanging on to ever calorie you in take. If you don't think you can handle cheating, try upping you calories a hundred or so a day and see if that helps. Everyone's metabolic rate is different and it is partly based on how much you weigh, so if you are "starving" your body, your body will protect itself! Good luck!!!

As for cheating. I weigh myself once a week (Saturday mornings) and those are the days I allow myself a treat or two. I don't go crazy, just don't keep track like I do the rest of the week. I find that after my doctor does a fill and puts me on what he calls band re-training ie: two days liquids, two days mushies and then solid food again, that will kick start my wieght loss gain. So maybe if you do liquids for a couple of days or even Protein shakes for b-fast and lunch and then a meal for dinner that might get your body moving again. Also, make sure you are getting in plenty of Water. That often helps me too.

Good luck to you.

I think that varying your calorie intake helps. instead of what most people might think of as cheating--like eating fried food or sweets--i think it is good to eat more calories one or two days a week. for example if you try to stay between 1200-1500 calories on a daily basis...then on your "cheat" days go up to 1700-1900 calories.

i think this helps to keep your body guessing on what it is going to have so it doesnt get stuck on conserving caloires cause you are cutting back.

and as far as people being ingnorant and making comments dont let it get to you. i work in a hospital and i have had 2 people ask when i was due...and i got really upset and cried. but then it just gave me more incentive to work harder at losing weight. i dont want that to keep happening to me--so i have to take control and change it. i cant make ignorant people disappear, but i can change my weight.

good luck. you are doing great!!!!!!!

I understand your pain as my weight has not come off as fast as I had hoped...I don't exercise as much as you though and I know that would help me. My surgery was over 11 months ago and I've lost 62 lbs...I had hoped to be down 100 pounds by now but every body is different. The only big problem I'm having now is the latest restriction is causing food to get stuck everytime...I vomitted twice in the past week but I don't want to get any Fluid out yet because I have started losing weight again. That is an awful feeling though, especially if you are eating in public.

Jill -- I JUST went through this (and after almost 2 weeks at the same weight, my scale was down 2.2 lbs this morning - woo-hoo)!!

I tried taking in more calories over the weekend. Every day, I expected my scale to be up, but it stayed the same. Then, yesterday, I went back to my usual diet (around 1200 calories) and worked out and the scale finally went down!

Give it a shot! It really worked for me! :smile:

Catherine

I understand your pain as my weight has not come off as fast as I had hoped...I don't exercise as much as you though and I know that would help me. My surgery was over 11 months ago and I've lost 62 lbs...I had hoped to be down 100 pounds by now but every body is different. The only big problem I'm having now is the latest restriction is causing food to get stuck everytime...I vomitted twice in the past week but I don't want to get any Fluid out yet because I have started losing weight again. That is an awful feeling though, especially if you are eating in public.

I HIGHLY recommed that you consider calling the Dr to have a small amount removed. While not speaking from personal experience, I've read quite a few post from members who alowed their bands to remain to tight to the point of frequent vomiting and have ended up losing their bands in the long run.

I know how hard it is to work your butt off and no be rewarded at the end of the day by the scales but you have to keep telling yourself....I didn't get here overnight and I'm not going to lose it overnight either.

I honestly think our bodies are so use to the extra weight that their fighting us tooth and nail to hold on to every pound that we are sweating our butts off to kiss goodbye...especially for those of us that have been heavy for a long time....it is hard to push your body out of it's "comfort zone" but I think most of us chose the band as the healthiest alternative for WLS, so let it help you in a way that is not comprimising your well being.

Happy Shrinking!!