Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much weight lost before deciding to get preggers?

I was banded on Oct. 30th, 2008 and I've only lost 41lbs since then. (sadly, I still have 100lbs to go) I know that it's still really early to be wanting a baby so close to my surgery, but I'm just wondering how long everyone waited and how much weight most of you lost before you decided to try and start having babies. My doc told me that he wants me to wait at least a year to a year and a half before I start trying for a baby again. (I have a 2yr old son now.) But, I really miss being pregnant and I really want another baby incredibly bad! I'm hoping that by the 1st of next year I will be close enough to my goal weight that I'll be able to start trying again. I also miss having a little one around so any chance that I can even discuss pregnancy I get all excited.:smile2:

I'd wait as long as you can to goal, I lost 120lbs and was 30lb from goal, and now I've gained back 60lb!!

I'd hate to have gained the 60lbs when I hadn't lost much yet..

I had surgery in Feb and lost 100 pounds. I still have another 100 to go. We decided at a year that if it happened it happened. Because I have PCOS and was always told how difficult it would be to get pregnant, I didn't want to keep putting it off.

I was down a little over 70 pounds but only needed to lose 85 to get to goal. I got pregnant at about 8 months out.

I am happy I was close to goal before I got preggers. It was so nice wearing normal sizes again (medium shirts and size 8 pants) before having to increase the sizes. I was able to continue wearing those size through most of my pregnancy and even now my maternity pants are a size medium which are 8/10. Maternity shirts are still medium but I did raid my closet for a few old size large shirts and size 10 jeans because they fit.

My ob also said that it is a lot easier to feel the baby kicking, to find a heartbeat and to do ultrasounds at a more normal weight. She said it also generally leads to a more healthy pregnancy overall.

I think getting close to goal with improved health and being physically fit has definitely enhanced the experience by far.

I am not sure how long we need to wait. The surgeon said he wanted us to wait a year. Then he added my being on the pill is not 100% and if I was to get pregnant its not really a big deal and he would work with me. So I don't know...

Edited by agatoprincess

Well, I believe that my doctor wanted us to wait a year. That said, he told me that it wouldn't hurt to get pregnant sooner.

I got pregnant five months after surgery, I had lost 57 pounds since the surgery and 80 pounds total. Since getting pregnant I have lost another 20 pounds.

I am about 40 pounds from goal now. I am not trying to lose weight, it is just coming off in spite of me.

Do I suggest you wait until goal until you get pregnant... hell yeah! But, my husband is military and trying to plan a child around his deployments so he will be home for the birth is just about impossible.

Edited by 1000words

My surgeon told me to wait a year. My goal is to get 50 pounds off (36 more) and then to TTC again. I'm 38 next weekend so I don't want to wait very long. We're going to start TTC in September. That will 5 months. I have been pregnant twice but lost both babies. I'm hoping a lower BMI gives us a better chance this time.

I lost 35 kilos (77lbs) and have gained 14 kilos (30.8lbs) since becomming pregnant.

I agree with fairyfacade, it is hard to gain weight once you have lost it. It messes with your head, especially considering how hard it was to lose:sneaky: I have only 7 weeks to go, so atleast I have not gone back to where I started, i would hate it if i had :).

I think its best to wait as long as you can. Obesity is dangerous during pregnancy. I have a 3 year old son and when i gave birth to him I had a retained placenta and haemroaged, my obstetrician said obesity does increase the risk of complications.

Maybe get some medical advice too, maybe from an obstetrician aswell as a band doctor, see what they say. i am sure here in Australia, we get given diffferent advice than you.

Good luck, and happy baby making :unsure:

My surgeon told me to wait a year. My goal is to get 50 pounds off (36 more) and then to TTC again. I'm 38 next weekend so I don't want to wait very long. We're going to start TTC in September. That will 5 months. I have been pregnant twice but lost both babies. I'm hoping a lower BMI gives us a better chance this time.

Good luck Wendy. My sister in law lost 2 babies and was so nervous during her third pregnancy. Her daughter is now 1 year old and the pain of her 2 miscarriages seems like a lifetime away. I hope it all works out for you :unsure:

I had surgery April 2008 and we started trying to get pregnant in October. The doctor said to wait a year, so I thought we could start trying and maybe be preggers towards my one year anniversary. Who new it would happen that very month. Took 6 months with my first. I am 30 weeks along now and have gained 20 lbs. I have had no problems wih the band at all. I have not restricted what I eat, it all seems to be going to the baby. With my first I put on 80 + lbs. The only difficulty I had was the vomitting with the band, that was a little hard. No swelling, NO HEARTBURN (yeah). At times I do get a little tight (usually at night), but no biggie. I have been to the lap surgeon a couple of times for him to see how things were, he was happy and told me to come back after the baby was born and I was ready to continue with my fillings.

spudgirl, you should never discount the fact that you've already lost 41 pounds! That's fantastic. Imagine where you'd be if you hadn't lost those 41 pounds.

I would suggest waiting a little while before TTC because it's healthier overall. However, I do wish you luck, whatever you decide.

BTW, I was 2 pounds below goal when I got pregnant.

Edited by Tricia K.
forgot to add weight :)

I got banded Feb. 25, 2009 and my husband and I are currently trying to have a baby. I've lost 45 lbs. so far. I was trying to weigh my options, should I loose more weight or get pregnant? My age is also a factor, I'll be 40 in July and when I had my daughter a year ago they were more concerned with my age than with my weight so I have opted to try for the pregnancy so that I can get through it and get back on track with losing the weight.

Edited by Bttrflywingz

I was banded in March 2008 and so far i have lost 50 lbs. I am 10 lbs from a healthy BMI and 25 lbs from my ideal goal. We are starting TTC this month.

I lost the biggest chunk of my weight in the first 9 months and since then i have been pretty plateaued where i am. I am starting to creep down again and am shooting for that "Healthy BMI".

This was our first month of TTC and currently i am in the 2 week wait. I test on June 20 so we'll see what happens!

Hi everyone! I too was just banded on June 2, 2009. I would love to have another child, but I want to loose as much weight as possible. I am 37 and feel like my time is running out. My husband keeps talking about our future son. A lot of pressure. I am going to be strong and try my best to hold out until I loose a lot of weight. I just hope I loose it a lot sooner than later. Best wishes to everyone!!

I was banded in December 2008 and since surgery day I've lost only 13lbs. And all of those were just lost in the past month and a half. I am 5'2" and 195lbs. My heaviest I was 243. Pre-op I was 224.

Hubby and I have decided to start on Clomid + Metformin now. I am pretty healthy, I work out every day, and only eat low carb foods. So I am not doing anything "wrong" per se. It's just a slow process. But we feel that right now is the best time for us as we will be moving and losing insurance, which would be a nightmare if I delivered without it! So we are going to try anyway!