Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this pain normal?

Hi everyone,

I was banded on Sunday 25th January and stayed in hospital overnight. My incision and gas pains I can cope with and they are decreasing daily but I have another pain that is getting worse daily. It is a sharp knife like pain slightly above and to the left of my naval below all my incisions. It is also hot to the touch. The pain increases to a stabbing pain when I get in or out of bed, sit up or sit down, go to the toilet, bend over etc. I'm in agony. Is this normal? What is it, does anybody know?

I am taking liquid Tylenol (childrens) 15ml 4 times a day and it is not touching it. Please help!

Thanks Debbie,

Think I'll call him in the morning. Not looking forward to going to bed tonight. I've had my 4x 15ml of Tylenol for today. Does anyone know if I can take paracetamol or ibuprofen after taking the tylenol? Don't want to OD! I know that you can take paracetamol and ibuprofen together but we don't have Tylenol in the UK so I am not familiar with it.

It's probably the muscle they cut through trying to heal.

I had a burning snapping like a rubberband pain...They go through all those layers to get to where they need to go..It will get better, but you should also consult your doc!

Hi everyone,

but I have another pain that is getting worse daily. It is a sharp knife like pain slightly above and to the left of my naval below all my incisions. It is also hot to the touch. The pain increases to a stabbing pain when I get in or out of bed, sit up or sit down, go to the toilet, bend over etc. I'm in agony. Please help!

Call your Dr. ASAP! If it is hot to the touch then it could be infected. You don't want to wait as it could make things complicated. Please keep us posted. I'll keep you in my prayers.

I would suggest calling your doctor as well. Being newly banded, it is not unusual to have pain in this area . . . but being hot to the touch is a little more concerning in that it could be infection which is nothing to play with.

Tylenol does not work for me at all, period. I don't even bother taking it anymore. Ibuprofen is supposed to be avoided by bandsters so you probably shouldn't take it. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It's 7 am in the UAE now so I will call my doctor later this morning and keep you posted. The hot to touch bit has gone now and I took some crushed paracetamol last night that helped and I had a good night but the pain is back again this morning. Thanks for the warning about ibuprofen, I will stay clear of it. I really appreciate your replies.

Paracetamol = acetaminophen = tylenol

So do NOT take paracetamol if you're already taking the max dose of tylenol. Many people don't know that this drug can cause serious liver damage in excessive doses. You can wiki it- it's the number one drug OD, often unintentional, in US and UK.

So... no paracetamol on top of the tylenol. And no ibuprofen. Which means you may need to ask your doctor for a mild narcotic if the usual dose of tylenol isn't sufficient.

Take care.

I have a big red spot right under the middle incision. I think in the exact spot you are talking about. It was beat red and hot to the touch and hurt like someone was cutting into me when I would move. It hurt moreso than the gas and incision. It's been 6 days now and it's light red now and not hot. It also doesn't sting as bad. I did put a heating pad on it today, though and it felt really good to do so.

Again, I think this is what you are talking about, but I would still show your doctor.

Yes Minnah that's exactly it. It's agony and feels like someone has stuck a knife in there. It comes when I get up, sit down, in fact do anything that uses the muscles. I am waiting for the doc to call me back. Thanks Susan re the paracetamol. I did wiki it and found out that Tylenol is paracetamol so I have ditched the children's liquid Tylenol which was not strong enough and I am now taking Panadol which is 1000mg of paracetamol 4 times a day which is the max I can take and no ibuprofen as we can't take that. Thanks for your help and I'll keep you posted.

Hi everyone,

I called my doctor but he was on a conference today so they told me to go to the hospital where I had the op done and I saw the GP there. He called my doctor after he examined me and all is OK. The pain is coming from the band itself and will go in time. I can carry on taking the crushed panadol but if that does not work I have been prescribed Tramal as a painkiller. I am due to see my doctor on Monday but if I cannot wait that long then I can see him on Saturday when he will be in the hospital.

I feel a lot better now knowing that it is not abnormal. Thanks for all your help and replies everyone:thumbup:

Glad to hear it!

For awhile it hurt to sit up and bend and it was easier to roll on my side and prop myself sideways to a sitting position before standing. I do have to say, rolling to the side did hurt, but not as bad as when I just tried to sit up.

Hope this helps.