Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Solid food after only one week

I was on liquids for a week but then I just couldn't handle it anymore and started eating real food .. Im just 198LB and lost 10 pounds since the surgery .. am I harming my self by eating when i'm not suppose to ? because I thought since I'm not that obese I could eat until my next fill :thumbup: .. because I know if the thing doesn't get tighten I would never lose weight .. please help

Yes, you could be harming yourself. When you eat solid food, your stomach then has to digest it. During that digestion, the stomach churns and moves. That stomach movement could be very bad for the fresh stitches holding the band in place. So quit eating solid food right now and follow your doctor's plan.

What alarms me even more is that you say you're "not that obese" after you've lost only 10 lbs.....right after you 'fessed up to not being able to stay on liquids.....and then you seem to want permission to eat until your first fill. I'm a little concerned about your state of mind. If you want to be successful with the band, at some point you're going to have to realize that the band won't do all the work.

I thought it will do all the work actually but thanks .. sorry for the stupid questions but my doctor is so popular down here he does like 4 a day so he didn't have time to give me details YA .. he just gave me the plan .. 4 weeks liquids .. 4 weeks kinda solid .. my question is when do I get the fill ? He told me in 2 months but I think thats too long .. I just need to drop 40lb ..

I was on liquids for a week but then I just couldn't handle it anymore and started eating real food .. Im just 198LB and lost 10 pounds since the surgery .. am I harming my self by eating when i'm not suppose to ? because I thought since I'm not that obese I could eat until my next fill :thumbup: .. because I know if the thing doesn't get tighten I would never lose weight .. please help

Always follow your doctor's diet plan after surgery. Some doctors allow you to begin eating this early, but some do not. Your doctor has these in place for a reason and you chose your doctor because you trusted yourself to his/her care. You need to call your doctor and let them know that you've been eating so that he/she can advise you. You don't want to mess up your stitches and end up with a slip 6 months down the road because you didn't heal properly.

I thought it will do all the work actually but thanks .. sorry for the stupid questions but my doctor is so popular down here he does like 4 a day so he didn't have time to give me details YA .. he just gave me the plan .. 4 weeks liquids .. 4 weeks kinda solid .. my question is when do I get the fill ? He told me in 2 months but I think thats too long .. I just need to drop 40lb ..

I thought you had to be at least 100 pounds overweight to even qualify for the band. You say you already lost 10 and only need to lose 40, so that would only be 50. What was your BMI? Comorbidities? Your BMI needs to be less than 35 if you have medical conditions, less than 40 if you don't. I find it horrible that your doctor did not advise you, but on the other hand, as an adult with access to a computer, you really would have been better off if you had spent hours on the computer researching the band and life after the band. The fact that he didn't have time to give you the details doesn't excuse YOU from the responsibility of researching for yourself. I'm not trying to be rude or mean, but I'm being blunt. The band is only a tool and you still have to work to succeed. It's not a "magic wand" that will instantly work.

I just wanted to chime in and say that for all you newly banded folks that are reading this thread, its NOT ok to eat solid foods this early so please do not read this and think WOW this person did it so... so can i. Is it really worth risking harm to yourself or your band by not following the instructions given to you by your doctor? If i had to render a guess it would be that no matter if you weigh 195 or 395 a rule is a rule and meant to be abided by.

Your doctor may be popular but based on the little bit of information you have provided he doesn't appear to be competent.

If he is so busy doing surgeries that he cannot provide the extremely important details about how you should be eating and why. And if he is putting the band in people who only need to lose 40-50lbs then he was not a good choice.

Hey, no worries! And don't worry about the questions....Get back on track now with the plan. After all, it's for your protection and long term success.

Most every doc is different RE: fills. My doc tries to space the fills about 6 weeks or so. I know it's difficult, but try to be patient. Even though you don't have much weight to lose, relative to some, it will be much better for you to lose it gradually. Hang in there! You can do it.

I am 5 days post op, had my band Jan 16th. The last couple of days I have had a noise in my throat and a KNOT that hurts when I swallow Water or mushie foods. I tried to eat "soupy" cream of wheat this morning and only got 2 small bites down before the noise and pain started. Has anybody else had this? It is NOT GERD. I have nothing coming up just when it is going down. This also happend last night when I was just SIPPING my water! Any ideas???????

I did not have a barium swallow, was wondering if I should have had one????

I am 5 days post op, had my band Jan 16th. The last couple of days I have had a noise in my throat and a KNOT that hurts when I swallow Water or mushie foods. I tried to eat "soupy" cream of wheat this morning and only got 2 small bites down before the noise and pain started. Has anybody else had this? It is NOT GERD. I have nothing coming up just when it is going down. This also happend last night when I was just SIPPING my water! Any ideas???????

I did not have a barium swallow, was wondering if I should have had one????

You should see your doctor but my guess would be that you have some swelling from surgery and that is making you feel tight. Keep sipping liquids so you don't get dehydrated and take in liquid Protein a little at a time to avoid irritating your pouch and the swelling should go down soon.

I was banded on the 12/9 and could eat reg foods on 12/24 but every doc is different

my first fill was 1/7

I am losing but it is slow

but it is losing

and I am eating so much less - it is amazing

My doc tries to space the fills about 6 weeks or so. I know it's difficult, but try to be patient. Even though you don't have much weight to lose, relative to some, it will be much better for you to lose it gradually.

I understand, but if I stay on liquids the whole month then start eating salads and what not the second month I'll probably lose the 40lbs .. then what's the point of the band ? I need to be restricted ..

I had my surgery on Nov 20th, 2008...just one week before Thanksgiving, and I also ate some solid foods (but very little bits) on Thanksgiving dinner. I was worried and talked to my doctor, he said not to make myself sick worrying about it, but to get back on the very soft foods...He progressed me a little quicker thank some doctors do, however, I feel fabulous. He also does adjustments sooner and more frequently which has been great for me, since it took me three fills to start to feel some resistance and to really notice my food portions to be much smaller. I hate that some people are really being so horribly rude and mean to you, you need support right now and not to be treated like an idiot. First of all, there are many doctors that do the surgery for people who only need to lose 50lbs... like someone said, it is a tool...if I had had this tool when I only had 50 lbs to lose, my weight would have never gotten this out of control and my health would have been so much better, so I applaud you for taking this step before you ended up morbidly obese. (Why wait until you have many other weight related diseases??? Hello!!!!) Please call your doctor and discuss your diet with him or her. Be patient, once you are adjusted completely, you will begin to lose the weight. Also, take that time with your doctor to ask all of the questions that you hadn't had answered before your surgery, it is never too late to get educated. I hope that this helps, and I am sorry that other people have been so rude to you...Best of luck to you.

However much weight you need to lose is irrelevant to how the band works and how soon you can eat. You had it put on your stomach, if you want it to stay there, you need to follow the post op schedule. That means 4 weeks liquids for you.

You can manage your hunger well on liquids if you've clever about it. It doesnt have to be that hard. My doctor said that anythign that goes up a straw is a liquid and I've heard that said many many times on here. So..... if you're hungry, as you're able, blend REAL food up to liquid consistency. Dont try to survive on Water and juice and Protein shakes. Blend things that contain meat and vegetables and good carbs, make some hearty Soups and Water them down with broth or a can of tomatoes or whatever and blend them up. You can blend up a roast dinner with broth, I know because I did it. My doc was FINE with that. It only has to be liquid, not calorie free. I lost heaps and heaps of weight in the liquids to mushies phase and I was not hungry. When you're hungry, have something to eat(drink). Have your liquid meals small and often.

But stick to the schedule or you'll and up right back in hospital. Or maybe not but down the track you'll have problem. Its simply not worth it. Its only a few weeks and if you were committed enough to losing weight to be banded then you should be committed enough to follow the plan.

I dont see that its anyone's business but yours how overweight you are and whether or not it was right to choose a band, mind your own beeswax is what I'd say to those people. But there's SO much information out there on the band, that even if your doctor has been completely and utterly negligent, you should have been able to find out that the band is not a magic cure all.

I am hearing a lot of "but"'s from this poster, and I don't think we are telling her what she wants to hear. It sounds like 1- the band wasn't needed, 2- she doesn't care about the inside of her body as much as the outside, and 3- she is going to ignore our suggestions and continue eating solids.

Of all the people on here, most who oops to real food too soon freak out when they hear what can happen and go back to liquids right away. This poster is argueing with us about her weight and how it should be ok because...

This is rediculous guys, why are you even responding.

My reply is, poster, if you are going to be like that, please don't come here. We will support you if you are truely sorry you have hurt yourself with your mistake and are ready to correct and listen to our advice. If you are only looking for confirmation, look somewhere else.