Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today is my 6th day post op and I am feeling like I am really hungry. The broth and Jello don't feel like they are doing ANYTHING for me! I feel like I need like a pb&j or something :) I used to be slightly hypoglycemic and would need to eat things like that when I was "empty".

I hope this hunger doesnt stay after my next phases of diet progression.

Oh I can't wait for something with some texture...

This is likely only going to get worse before it gets better. Welcome to Bandster Hell...

Do some "bandster hell" searches on LBT and you'll find lots of info - it's totally normal.

Brad

Ask your doctor if he will let you have Isopure Protein drinks. They are low-carbs, come in fruity flavors and have 40 grams of Protein. They are a great clear Fluid drink and the protein fills you up.

You might want to try Decaf tea with honey. The honey will help naturally boost your energy.

Hang in there it will get better we all went though it and it does get better. just hang in there. drink somemore Water and do some walking you will be fine. Those first 10 days SOB I was hungry.

IWannaBeSkinny,

I am right there with you! My surgery was on Jan 13th and I am SO hungry. My stomach is growling...no rumbling...and my misery is complete with head aches and cold sweats. The weird part is, I did the two week liquid diet before surgery and never experienced any of this. Now, post surgery, on the exact same diet, I feel like I am going to starve to death!

Thank god my liquid diet at least includes Protein drinks or I think I would have already perished! I think it so strange (and irritating) that everyone has such different post-op instructions. I find myself actually getting jealous :glare: at those ladies who got to start mushies and a 1200 calorie diet the day after surgery and the weight is just dripping off them like wax from a candle! And here I am, on this

:huh2:-starving-myself-on-800-calories-diet and it is actually preventing me from losing weight. I have been told that the body goes into starvation mode and holds on to the stored fat for dear life! Sorry about the rant but...hey...I actually feel better! Thanks!

IWannaBeSkinny,

I am right there with you! My surgery was on Jan 13th and I am SO hungry. My stomach is growling...no rumbling...and my misery is complete with head aches and cold sweats. The weird part is, I did the two week liquid diet before surgery and never experienced any of this. Now, post surgery, on the exact same diet, I feel like I am going to starve to death!

Thank god my liquid diet at least includes Protein drinks or I think I would have already perished! I think it so strange (and irritating) that everyone has such different post-op instructions. I find myself actually getting jealous :glare: at those ladies who got to start mushies and a 1200 calorie diet the day after surgery and the weight is just dripping off them like wax from a candle! And here I am, on this

:huh2:-starving-myself-on-800-calories-diet and it is actually preventing me from losing weight. I have been told that the body goes into starvation mode and holds on to the stored fat for dear life! Sorry about the rant but...hey...I actually feel better! Thanks!

I know what you mean about everyone having such different diets. I am sooooo thankful I didnt have a preop diet, I would have never made it I dont think. No Protein Drinks for me. I think my caloric intake is around 400 cals. My dieticion said that protien slows wl (which I think ou know that from your comment).

Today is actually better for me. Someone suggested tea and honey and that has actually been like a life saver for me. Can't wait until tomorrow to see what next week holds for me diet wise.

Also, what part of Ca are you from?

IWannaBeSkinny,

You are spot on with your analysis! Stand firm and you'll be rewarded in time. Don't be too jealous of those people eating solid foods right away - because while their doctor may allow it, it flies right into the face of the instructions given by the band manufacturers. Down the road they may have serious complications or lose their band as you're cruising past.

Brad

Brad and IWannaBeSkinny,

I appreciate you comments. I think you are right when you say the rewards will come to me for waiting. Anything that is that easy can't last forever, right?

Anyway, I am pushing forward...begrudgingly. I really am a very positive, friendly person but "Diet Jill" is not as nice...as witnessed by the hubby and three terrified children.

I can say, however, that I am glad I did the 2 week pre-op diet because those 18 pounds lost are all I have to hold onto at this point.

Greetings from warm and windy Ventura County, California

I guess I am very confused... why would a post-op diet NOT consist of Protein shakes or drinks? That sounds crazy!

I only had to watch my diet pre-op for 2 weeks and the day before be on a clear liquid diet. Now that I am post-op for the first 2 weeks I am drinking Low Carb Slim Fast or No Sugar Added Carnation Instant with Skim Milk as my main meals but am allowed to eat other high Protein softies like light yogurt, sugar free pudding, Jello & popsicles, I am using the Special K protein waters in between.

Why are there so many different approaches to the Pre & Post Op Diets?

JillBengt... Warm & Windy and I thought I was just starting to like you!

I live in NH where we have been dumped on with 24 more inches of snow and it's been very, very cold here! I would give anything to go outside and take my dog for a walk without becoming an eskimo at the same time!

Why are there so many different approaches to the Pre & Post Op Diets?

I think a lot of them try to err on the side of caution because tolerance levels vary so much - they don't want to invite phone's ringing off the hook because people are puking on foods they said they should be able to consume...

Most, though, seem to be flexible. If you call them up and explain what you want to eat and why, most will likely let you experiment so long as it doesn't completely fly in the face of reason. But if I were one of the people who had a doc with a stricter diet that the manufacturers recommendations, rest assured I would insist they state their case why. They work for us. And I would state my case indicating what many other docs are allowing or what the manufacturer suggests and perhaps the doc will do a bit more research.

Brad

BamBam31,

You are my lapband hero! 69 pounds in 5.5 months! Way to go! How many fills did it take for you to feel full? Has the weight loss truly been easier with the band?