Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days post op - feeling terrible

I'm beginning to really regret getting banded. I was banded on the 6th and woke up in recovery screaming for them to take it out of me. The gas pain I have and have had since the surgery is the most horrible pain I've ever felt. I've been taking gas-x and dilaudid to no avail. It hurts to take a breath in. I also feel like I have to burp sometimes but nothing comes up and instead my stomach hurts something fierce. I can barely lay down at all without intense pain and I can barely walk. My left side where the port is is also incredibly painful whenever I move and breathe. I've called the doctor twice and they just tell me to keep taking gas-x and told me if the pain didn't start to subside today to call back, but I'm not going to bother. My Dr's office will not let you speak to the doctor when you call so there's no point. I'm tempted to go back to the hospital even though I had a horrible experience there as well. I'm really hoping this is normal, I'm terrified there's something wrong. Has this happened to anyone else, and how long did it take for the pain to finally start to go away? :thumbs_up:

This too shall pass...:thumbs_up:

I know those words suck right now, but it really does get better! I thought I was literally dying from the shoulder (gas) pain for about a week. My pain slowly subsided, not over night, but the next thing you know it's gone.

Be sure to keep up with your pain meds (it's okay to be a junkie for now), get some good liquid anti gas meds (maybe call the doc's office for suggestions), and try to walk as much as possible. Walking helps dislodge the gases and gets rid of it quicker so you can start concentraing more on the wonderful choice you made for your health!!!

Congratulations, and the best of luck!!:thumbup:

Awww... so sorry you feel so terrible. Just like previous replies all I can say is HANG IN THERE! Take your pain meds, give in to your body to help it heal and try to walk, walk, walk, Even if you only do a few rounds around your dining room table every hour it will help immensely with the gas pains. I wasn't able to get much of anything into me the first 3-4 days although I was so dry/thirsty. One baby step at a time...

However, if severe pain persists and the pain meds do not bring any relief it is always best to call your doc or attending nurse. Best of luck - keep us updated!

Thanks for the support. I'm really glad I found this website before I went in for surgery. My mom and aunt had the gastric bypass but it's just not the same thing at all. I'm doing fine getting in liquids, I haven't had any trouble with that at all. I guess I'm lucky in that respect. I wish I was as lucky with the gas/muscle pain.

Again, hang in there! The more you move the more gas dissapates. Gas is like helium it also rises in the body, I had terrible gas pains in my shoulder for a few weeks, most noticable late in the day. Did you get the liquid pain medicine, if not ask the dr office to call you in some, take it as called for, I went back to work on day 7, the hardest thing was sitting still very long. The longer I sat still the worse the pain and the gas was. I took naps in the bed to stretch out, I think that helps the gas as well. I walked up and down the hall. Did not lift anything over 5 lbs( per dr. instructions). Keep pushing those Protein Shakes, or drinks., The more the faster you will heal. It really is amazing how it will help your mood as well. Welocme to the world of bandsters. I am 1yr out this month. Good luck on your journey.:thumbs_up:

Its going to get better, and then you won't even remember the pain, believe me, I had complications and lots of pain after the surgery.

I took the pain pills religiously and the gasX strips and to be honest, played the sick person to the hilt. I was at my parents and it was nice having them around.

Try walking around the house, it helps the gas, and don't be embarrassed if you burp or fart, thats the only way its going to get out.:thumbs_up:

I'm beginning to really regret getting banded. I was banded on the 6th and woke up in recovery screaming for them to take it out of me. The gas pain I have and have had since the surgery is the most horrible pain I've ever felt. I've been taking gas-x and dilaudid to no avail. It hurts to take a breath in. I also feel like I have to burp sometimes but nothing comes up and instead my stomach hurts something fierce. I can barely lay down at all without intense pain and I can barely walk. My left side where the port is is also incredibly painful whenever I move and breathe. I've called the doctor twice and they just tell me to keep taking gas-x and told me if the pain didn't start to subside today to call back, but I'm not going to bother. My Dr's office will not let you speak to the doctor when you call so there's no point. I'm tempted to go back to the hospital even though I had a horrible experience there as well. I'm really hoping this is normal, I'm terrified there's something wrong. Has this happened to anyone else, and how long did it take for the pain to finally start to go away? :thumbs_up:

AWWW IM SOOO SORRYYY U FEEL LIKE THIS BUTT PLEASEE BELIVE ME WHEN I SAYYY ITS GONNNA GETTTT BETTTERR ALL OF THIS WILL GOO AWAY YOUR BODYY IS JUST IN SHOCK FROM THE SURGURY AND IT TAKES A LITTLE TIME FOR IT TO GET USED TO ITT I HAAD MY BAND ON NOVEMBER 24 3 DAYS AFTER WAS THANKSGIVING I SAT AND CRIED MY EYES OUT CUZ IT HURRTT SOO MUCHH BUT U GOTTA STAYY POSATIVE AFTER A WEEK ITS ALLL OVERRR THE MOST 2 WEEKS SOOO STAYY STRONGG AND THINKKK POSATIVEE IT REALLY IS WORTH IT AND ITS GONNA GET BETTER EVEN IF U CANT FEEL THAT NOW :thumbup::thumbup:

i was banded on 12.31 and i had the same exact thoughts and feelings that you do. i totally regreted it at the time and thought about going back to see if they could take it out.

well here it is a little over a week later and i'm doing so much better! i'm still not totally 100% but definitely something that is liveable. I'm assuming by next week at this time I should be pretty close to back to normal.

hang in there, girl! you just need to give it a little time which i know is easier said than done, but believe me it gets tons better and it will so be worth it! :thumbs_up:

the gas x strips worked really well for me and Only 1 time did i have that horrible gas pain in my chest thought i was having a heart attack and I was in walmart.... so i bought more gas x strips and it helped alot. I didnt have much pain but everyone is different. I know things will get better give it a few more days. If its still bad than you had better go back to your doctors office. But have faith you made the right choice... I know I sure did. I was banded on december 19th and I dont regret it one bit.. goodluck keep us posted

Julie

On day two I could have kicked myself for having subjected myself to this surgery (only I was in too much pain). I felt much better on day 3 and incredibly better on day 4. On day 5 I went to a Christmas party where I had chicken broth and protien Water.

We've all been there - you will be fine, just give it a couple more days.

Sorry your feeling so much pain Angel. I also had my surgery on the 6th. Today is the best day I have had. I started taking children s liquid ibuprofen this morning and it's working great. I didn't like the way I feel with the Hydrocodin. I am also using the GasX strips that melt in your mouth, that has kept the gas barable. Will be feeling better soon and skinnier!!!:thumbs_up:

Just an FYI -

My doc said to take NO anti-inflammatories - ever. Ibuprophen (advil, motrin) and Naproxen (Aleve) are both anti-inflammatories. He told me that they can thin the lining of your stomach, causing it to bleed, which can lead to erosion.

I'm not trying to be a bummer or anything... just wanted you to be aware of one doc's advice. As always, you should call your doc to see what he/she says about it.

HOw are you feeling now? Hopefully better. I'm starting over (again) and I just want to let you know that I lost weight and really did well when I logged on here daily - it just keeps you motivated! So, I'm back to get the support I need - remember we are here always!

Good luck, dear - it will get better!:confused:

I'm still feeling pretty horrific. Although, I have used the bathroom twice today and lost a lot of gas that way which made me feel better for a few minutes. My muscles are really starting to hurt now along with the gas pain.