Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Full but keep eating till sick

I got my 3rd fill two weeks ago. First two did not do a thing. On this fill I am full after a small amount of eating but like the food and want to continue after I feel full. Thank I start to PB and or throw up. How have you been treating the psychological party of over eating???

This is the hardest part to work through. It isn't healthy to eat until you allow yourself to get sick. If you do it regularly, you can get have slippage issues.

I worked through it by telling myself that I can have more of whatever it is in another hour if I am still hungry - but by the time an hour rolls around, I am not hungry and have lost my desire for whatever it was. It is just the need to eat everything at the time you are there that you have to battle.

Another way I have worked through this is to put as much as I know should make me full on a saucer - never put more than I think I need on the plate. It is a lot different to go make another trip to get more when you are already full then to eat the last 1 or 2 bites that are staring you down.

You just have to be strong and get in the habit of doing the right thing. Counseling can definitely help, but this is still something you will have to face at every meal.

I agree with Heather's advice. This an issue you're going to have to hit head on. I measure my food out ahead of eating, and that's what I serve myself. I could continue eating much more, if I didn't do that. I find that I'm full, and had I not measured, I would have eaten much more than necessary. I also don't really want to be so tight that the band stops me completely. I'd love to find a good middle ground.

I do similar, but I dont wait an hour :ohmy: lol.

I put down my knife and fork and tell myself if I still want it in 15 minutes, I can have it. And of course, who wants their cold dinner remains that have been left sitting out for 15 minutes? I never ever go back to finish.

Sometimes though, if its something really delish, I do have to physically remove myself for those 15 minutes and do something else.

Cravings are the same. If you can only hold out, they go away. But I dont always do this either.

I'm working through this right now too. It's the hardest part so far. Now that I am properly filled, I am learning to stop. I don't need that "last" bite, because the last bite is often the one that does me in!

I'm still working on this myself... it's very hard!

I do the same thing. I have been to ashamed :huh2: to admit it to anyone, even my hunsband. I have read the replies and it looks like I have to do what they are telling you to do. I dont always over stuff myself but MAN sometimes I just keep eating until my plates gone. I guess it's because I tell my kids to do it, then so should I. We have a hard time keeping food in the house w/ 5 kids so I have got in the habit, I guess. But...

Cravings are the same. If you can only hold out, they go away. But I dont always do this either.

As for this quote, I would like to hear more about. I have went for a walk, got into a game, went and try to sleep through it and alot of the times when I crave something sweet or salty I can't get it off my mind or it will be then is back as soon as I sit down. WHY?:cursing:

Good Luck for this, know that your not alone on this one!! :frown:

I had my 1st fill three weeks ago and I don't have much restriction if any. BUT I really think I just like to EAT. Even when I feel full I just want to eat -- I am learning (I think that this is much more of a head game than I even want to admit!) I just don't know if the band is working for me at all. Does getting SICK stop you guys from eating?

I go back to the dr. tomorrow -- we'll see... I am getting very discouraged. I have lost 20" since I started the pre-op... nothing since T-giving...

Edited by stacyiam

I had my 1st fill three weeks ago and I don't have much restriction if any. BUT I really think I just like to EAT. Even when I feel full I just want to eat -- I am learning (I think that this is much more of a head game than I even want to admit!) I just don't know if the band is working for me at all. Does getting SICK stop you guys from eating?

I go back to the dr. tomorrow -- we'll see... I am getting very discouraged. I have lost 20" since I started the pre-op... nothing since T-giving...

I love food too! :frown: I must watch too much food network :Banane57:! I havn't ever felt sick, just stuck or slim or full like any normal person feels over full.Try and rememebr this (like I do & I am not trying to be rude)... there are people out there that are way over weight and can't for, whatever reason, get a lapband, so some loss of weight or inches is better then what others have to deal with. I havn't lost ANY in over 2 years. BUT I say at least I havn't pack MORE on, thats what I tell myself so at least I can make it to the next day!:huh2:

Keep working at it. :cursing:

Try a different exercise for awhile to switch it up for your body or new healthy foods. Water Water water!!! GL & YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!! :Banane14:

Wow!! Reading these posts is very discouraging. What is the Lapband suppose to do for you again?

Lapband prevents you from overeating by having a "hard stop" in place.

It makes you feel full quickly with a lot less food and we all get triggers that tell us we are full. However, if we chose to ignore the triggers that tell us we are full, and cram in a few more bites after our bodies have already told us we are finished, we will get sick and vomit or slime or pb. Our bodies will reject the excess food . . . . and it is not pleasant.

For many of us, a couple of episodes of this keeps us from wanting a repeat and we are trained to become more careful. Some of us keep testing ourselves.

It is kind of like a small child with a hot pot. You say "don't touch" and maybe some children will listen, most won't and they get burned at least once in their childhood.

Sometimes getting burned is enough to prevent them from touching a hot pot in the future. Sometimes they forget the initial lesson and do it again. Sometimes they feel like they want to test it and touch many pots during their childhood.

For those of us who have become obese or morbidly obese, food is an addiction. Most people can't just say one day, ok I am done with that and I will no longer eat more than my body needs to survive. You have to relearn old habits. This takes time and effort.

The first months are a bit of a struggle for all of us, some more than others . . . but you get past it for the most part and move on. So if you know that two more bites will make you very sick . . . do you indulge or not, it is a personal decision and you won't know for sure until you get there.

Wow!! Reading these posts is very discouraging. What is the Lapband suppose to do for you again?

The band is no magic cure but I can honestly say that it has helped me alot- like going from out-of-control and on my way to 300 lbs to at least holding my own and getting some help. And losing 35 pounds too.

Do I wish it was perfect and made me a size 10? you bet!

It makes me feel better to know that I am not alone. I was banded 11/14. I got my 2nd fill yesterday, I am at 4cc in a 10. I know I am not there yet but I do feel a bit more restriction.

You guys are great -- you get it. It is hard to talk to my fabulously thin friends who DON'T!!!

A wonderful holiday to each of you and the best gift we can give is a healthy life to ourselves and our support to each other.

Thanks for your supportive words!

I'm in the same boat. My problem and reason for the band was/is because I love food and my portions were way out of control. That doesn't change overnight just because you have surgery.

I'm not eating til I PB (and now where NEAR what I used to eat pre-surgery) but I AM eating til I'm way too full and very uncomfortable. I'm not doing it every meal, but it is more than I should be doing it. I am in a panic about stretching my pouch. I had another fill at the beginning of the month and have restriction now tho I can still eat everything if I chew it well enough. I'm 5cc in a 10cc band.

It's hard and I'm working on it. Trying to change a mindset that's been in place for a very long time is going to TAKE some time and hard work. Hopefully I'm up for it!