Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"You'll NEVER Weigh 112 Pounds..."

Yep, that was what I was told by one of the doctors my PCP wanted me to see before I could get my support letter from him. I had a follow-up with him today (this doc, not my PCP), and he said, "well, if you loose about twenty - thirty pounds, that'll be alright; but you're never going to weigh the 112 pounds the charts say you should weigh. Even if you get down to 200, that would be good." (I'm about 4' 10".)

I don't need to do Lap Band to loose twenty or thirty pounds; I can do that without the hit to my wallet and the surgery. I need to loose at least half of my weight (130 pounds).

Kinda disheartening....:thumbup:

Edited by Oblong
add info

Its obvious you dont have to have any charm or discretion to get a medical degree. Its not great to go into anythign without the full picture but why do so many doctors and nutritonists feel the need to piss on your parade before you even begin?.

He doesnt know YOU, he cant foresee the future. Dont listen to his negativity, you can make of this what you will. I"m sure you know not everyone loses 100% of their excess weight for a whole variety of reasons. Doesnt mean you wont.

A million times over the past three years I've been so very thankful for my medical care. The surgeon was a nice guy but not exactly Mr Personality. But the doctor who does my fills and aftercare is absolutely fantastic and has encouraged and pushed me the entire way. Never once has he said anything negative like that. The nutrionist did, I just ignored her, as I tend to do with anything I dont want to hear :thumbup: She had nothing to say that made the visit worth the cost anyway.

Im almost 5 7 and Iv been down to about that weight, true Im small boned, but if you look at my ticker I intend to get to about 120 lbs, depending on saggy skin, maybe a few more lbs than that. I dont want to be too saggy.

I KNOW I can do it and so can YOU. No one knows how determined you are and how hard YOU will work at it.

I went to a seminar and was the only one in the room still wanting to get a lapband. The lady leading the seminar asked me if I will be happy with only losing half the weight, duuh, of course not.

As you can see from my ticker, I am getting close already to that half way mark the leader of the seminar told me I would probably achieve. I ran into her at the DFW Yahoo group and she is considered something of a guru, she lost 128 lbs or something and then she had to have it removed and a sleeve now, so she isnt very positive on the lapband.

Its up to YOU what you will actually achieve. Im going to lose ALL of my weight down below what is considered normal weight and Im 58 years old, and all those other things against me.

Sorry for my frankness, but PISS on him! That doctor's bed side manor sucks! You can do anything you put your mind to. The LapBand is a great tool to help you achieve that goal. The best of luck to you!

Yeah, I was told that my surgery would only help me lose 60-ish pounds.

I told them I'd be the exception. I lost 60 before I got a fill.

You can or do anything you set your mind to. I've lost 130 since being banded. I've got more to lose but I will absolutely see my goal.

It's not a question of if mearly a question of when.

You can be cute and ask what will you get when you blow his expectations out of the Water or you can say, gimme a letter and shut the hell up. Either way don't let anyone define you.

I think the bariatric doctor your primary sent you to can go suck it! You might want to check into another bariatric doctor that may be in group, or even consider going to a different doctor altogether if you don't find one you like through your pcp. If you found one you like, you can always petition your insurance agency to get him or her approved.

I was self pay so I didn't have to go through the the whole insurance run around. I absolutely love my surgeon and my trust in him made both my surgery and aftercare fairly easy. Bottom line, find a surgeon you feel comfortable with, and the entire process will go much more smoothly.

I don't know you, I don't know your current size (though I am assuming around 260 by the way you phrased your first note).

The charts are usually flawed and way to skinny for most people. If you use the band right, you will certainly lose more than 30 or 40 pounds.

The charts tell me I should be between 150 and 180. Totally crazy for me, who has weighed at one point nearly 450.

I am keeping a goal of 230, and then going from there. That is way over my chart, but I have been 180 before and hated it (of course, I was in the navy, so maybe I hated that). :smile2:)

Don't worry about what some strange doctor says.

Don't worry about what some chart says.

Don't worry about what anyone says.

Just do what you need to do. If you get down to 150, great. If you make it to 112, and you really feel good about your self, great.

But unless your 4'9" tall (like my daughter who weighs about 112) I would shoot for a higher goal.

It wasn't the bariatric surgeon - he and his staff have been great. It was another doctor.

then just nod to the dr that said that nonsense, get the recommendation you need and move along with the bariatric surgeon - who is going to be the one you need true support from.

if you look at my signature, you'll see i'm not much taller than you, and while 112 is not a weight i want to be - i'm in a healthy bmi range. keep reading here, you'll find many who have lost 130lbs or darn near close.

good luck!!

Amazing. Nothing like being told you can only half way succeed. Your stronger than that. You can move your weight down the scale as far as you want, because you will the band and lots of support to go with it.

There are so many people on this site who are succeeding and you will be one of them. Don't let your doctor rain on your parade.