Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK let me try over here...please come in..

Ok so I was banded on June 26th, and to date I have only lost 12lbs but alot was due to my doctor being very conservative with fills therefore I never got any restriction off the bat like most last month I got my first "stuck" episode so I figured ok I am going to get restriction from now on, ok he had already put in 8ccs for a total right?????

Well I go back today I lost 7.6lbs which was good I thought (I could lose more if I were to exercise and really eat good) but anyway we did another barium swallow because I am still eating like close to 2 cups of food and NO PBing for the last 2 weeks. Did the swallow and everything looks good no stretched anything, well I swallowed the barium and it went through so fast and my eyes were popping out thinking back to my last fill I saw the liquid almost do a complete stop before going through and now after the 8ccs I am back to the same NO RESTRICTION, restriction meaning it went right through...I am confused so they put 2ccs in and then only did it go down alot slower but not as slow as last time do you all follow me still? MEANING I am suppose to have a 9cc band and he tells me I have 10ccs in my realize band. I am so confused and thinking maybe something is very wrong, could it be I have a leak how come it went right through so easily again this time if it was at very good pace at 8ccs damn this is so discouraging seriously. Any others share the same experience of filling more than what thier band is SUPPOSE to hold?

You will probably get more response if you post in the main forums. This is pretty typical and not a Realize band problem in particular so you can get lots of answer from people with lap bands too.

First, as you lose weight, you will often lose restriction. Second, it's possible your band has a leak. Did your doc remove all the Fluid in the band before putting it back with extra? If he did not, you don't know for sure how much is in your band. If he did and you have the right amount, then it's not a leak, which is good.

Your doctor should pull out 1 cc..the directions for the Realize Band say not to overfill it past 9cc or it could break.He should follow the directions, they are wirtten that way for a reason.

This IS typical and it probably IS a RealizeBand problem. Do not listen to any advice from MacMadame - she is not a medical professional and has no idea what she is talking about - Go talk to your doctor and ask about having the band explanted and converting to a lapband AP or a different procedure. (Bypass,sleeve etc)Do Not take medical advice from anyone on this site. If your band is overflled you are probably either not responsive or the triangle shaped 1994 Realize Band is not working properly in you. I have 4.5 cc out of 10 in my Lapband AP and Im tight with great restriction.Theres no reason the band should be filled that much and you don't feel anything-Talk to your doctor-

Your doctor should pull out 1 cc..the directions for the Realize Band say not to overfill it past 9cc or it could break.He should follow the directions, they are wirtten that way for a reason.

This IS typical and it probably IS a RealizeBand problem. Do not listen to any advice from MacMadame - she is not a medical professional and has no idea what she is talking about - Go talk to your doctor and ask about having the band explanted and converting to a lapband AP or a different procedure. (Bypass,sleeve etc)Do Not take medical advice from anyone on this site. If your band is overflled you are probably either not responsive or the triangle shaped 1994 Realize Band is not working properly in you. I have 4.5 cc out of 10 in my Lapband AP and Im tight with great restriction.Theres no reason the band should be filled that much and you don't feel anything-Talk to your doctor-

This person MUST work for Lapband AP! I think they are SPAM and should be blocked. I'm tired of their one-sidedness.

I would not take advice from anyone on an Internet site OVER my personal doctor, who is a very highly regarded bariatric surgeon. I also pay attention to the posting histories of people that might be giving advice. I 100% agree with your assessment, Peginthewoods.

I think this post bears repeating every time this person gives his "advice" on LBT. He does a great disservice to anyone looking for information on the different types of lap bands. I've also read earlier that this is the way this person operates on several web sites. The name changes, but the message stays the same.

Post by downsdc:

Rockbandster,

I've been reading you negative posts about the Realize band for several days. The surgeon you are quoting for the LAP-BAND® clinical trials, Dr. Jaime Ponce, will be MY surgeon when my band is placed. He was also a surgeon on the clinical trials for the Realize band and he places both kinds (2000+). My consult with him was yesterday, and I asked him specifically if there was a difference in effectiveness between the two bands. He said the only difference is the website and I could choose either one. You have to be careful with statistics. As they say, figures don't lie, but liars figure.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f278/question-those-realize-band-70855/index5.html#post1032440

I have been having the same problem. I have been playing around with the same three pounds for about 8 weeks...very frustrating!! I am at 9cc of fill and have moderate restriction but am going in for a barium swallow to make sure all is ok. My surgereon starting using the Realize in March, I was his third one and has stated that a few others are having the same problem as I am. So we are just taking it step by step to try to solve the problem. But with all of that said, when I compare my results with averages of all bands, I am still ahead of average weight loss. Really the speed doesn't matter because it gives my skin a chance to catch up and this weight loss is very stressful on a body, better to do it slow.

On another issue. Rockbandster seems to cause trouble on every thread he posts on. Whenever he shows up it seems as if the discussions spirals downward really quickly. Let's just ignore him and maybe he will go away. WHERE ARE THE MODERATORS TO BLOCK THIS PERSON OUT!!!!!!! We are here for support, so block posts from this person (it is possible but I can't remember how) and maybe we can have a productive chat on this Realize thread instead of everyone being afraid to contibute. I really would like it to become a worthwhile community of POSITIVE input. His last comment is stupid...how may of us are going to run to our doctors and beg to be cut open again? I guess the medical professional ROCKBANDSTER has forgotten that a second abdominal surgery is more complicated that the first and about three times harded to recover from.

That's really funny, ask him what his response was at the ASMBS last June when he was on a panel and was asked if it were his mother which band would he put in. I distinctly remember him saying the Lapband. I was there, along with the Surgeon I work for and heard it with my own 2 ears.

Clearly you people WANT to be fooled by J&J into thinking your getting a new product when your not so Im out _GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU.

Rockbandster, there is a way of politely disagreeing with people and not making them feel awful because they have a realize band. I am a medical professional and ALWAYS recommend that people who are having probelms with ANY band return to their surgeon.

Many times people post a problem in the hope of getting support and advice before they see their MD. Telling people they don't know what they are talking about is insulting and against the rules of this forum.

I'm in no way shape or form trying to make people feel bad. My intent is to inform with clinical information. In addition, people should not be giving medical advice on here unless they are an md. Since we are all supposed to be supporting each other, I thought passing on clinical info would be of benefit.

People come on here, ask if what the difference in the bands are and people who have no idea what they are talking about post and give misinformation. If we are truly here to support one another, I think anyone bringing clinical information to the table that is objective, not subjective should be able to do that without others feeling insulted.

Rockbandster, please state your credentials so that everyone may better understand where/how you have gained your knowledge.

I beg to differ, MacMadame knows full well what she is talking about. She's probably one of the most informed people on this board posting. Certainly more informed that you are.

Now, you suggest in this thread that nobody should listen to people on this board. Why in the world should anyone listen to you?

Where did you get your MD? What state are you licensed as a surgeon?

I work in the Operating Room with a Bariatric Surgeon who implants Lapbands and Realize Bands and RYGB, I work directly with the patients who are pre op/post op. I also have a lapband and lost 90% of my excess weight in less than 1 year with the Lapband AP. I have seen thousands of patients so I think I know a thing or 2 about gastric bands.

My point is unless you have some experience with patients an/or clinical trials, be carefull stating "opinions".

I work in the Operating Room with a Bariatric Surgeon who implants Lapbands and Realize Bands and RYGB, I work directly with the patients who are pre op/post op. I also have a lapband and lost 90% of my excess weight in less than 1 year with the Lapband AP. I have seen thousands of patients so I think I know a thing or 2 about gastric bands.

My point is unless you have some experience with patients an/or clinical trials, be carefull stating "opinions".

So you are an OR tech. A 9 month course. Are you serious? You actually think we should take you seriously? Are you nuts?

I lost 100% of my excess weight in 10 months, I have more education than you, I don't hide what my LICENSING is, and quite frankly you don't know squat about the politics of drug companies or anything similar. You are an OR tech! You are NOT a medical professional, you are an asst to us. Get over yourself for goodness sakes!

Buggar off, leave MacMadame alone, and do as you have written FOUR times now. You have said you will go away, we are waiting for you to keep your word.

Edited by WASaBubbleButt