Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After surgery...fill experiences

What is it like? tell me what they do?.... does it hurt? what do they give you to kill the pain? Do they knock you out? How long does it take?

Hi there! I had my first fill week before last and everything went A-Ok. Since it was my first, they actually did it at the hospital in the GI lab under fluoro (sp?). My surgeon came in and done it for me. He was right on time which was excellent. He numbed the area, told me to elevate my legs slightly so he could find my port and he did on first try. Then he'd give me a little bit and then let me drink a sip of barium so he could watch and check everything out. I ended up w/ 3.5 cc's, it was totally painless, and it was cool because he let me watch everything on the screen (I like stuff like that)! I was in and out in like 30 minutes and then went back to work. No complaints at all! I've had a REALLY good experience so far with everything! I feel very lucky!

Hi there!

I laughed after my first fill because I was so anxious and there was no reason to be. It MAYBE took 3 minutes????? And it did not hurt. My doc had a nurse spray cold stuff on the site (numbing spray) and I never felt the needle go in at all. People say it hurts more to have your blood drawn...I have to agree! Nope, you're not knocked out. I don't like needles AT ALL...so I talk to them...and ignore their hand region.

Call your doc's office to ask what their procedure is....some use the cold spray I mention...some don't.

I just had my 3rd fill yesterday! WHOOP!

GOOD LUCK!!

Hello,

To answer your questions:confused:... Based on my experience…

Does it hurt? No. You may fill a little pressure when the Doc is looking for your port. The doc pushes in your port area to locate the port.

What do they give you to kill the pain? The doctor will give you shot in the port area to numb the area. Like you get when you are having dental work done.

Do they knock you out? No they do not know you out. They will do the fill as an office visit. The Doctor will put saline in the band while you drink small amounts of Water.

How long does it take? It takes about 10 minutes from start to finish. Then you need to hang in the office while you drink Water to a make sure it going through your band.

You maybe a little sore and a little bruising the next day around your port area. BUT nothing that will keep you from your daily activities. I have my fill done and go back to work.

Easy as 1,2, 3. :)

Hope this helps.

Tresa

I had my surgery on 9/12/08 and my first fill on 10/21/08. So far, that fill has been the easiest thing since the surgery!! Before the PA did my fill she said "most people think the first fill is the worst"; so naturally I braced myself for pain. She wiped the area with alcohol, nothing to numb it. The only thing I felt was some pressure and a tiny "sting". Honestly, for me, a blood test is more painful. Nothing to it !!!!!! You'll be okay.

had first fill today (surgery 10/07)... they cleaned the port area and then the doctor just said relax... a little sting when the needle went in and then a bit of pressure while he was injecting the Fluid... did it under fluoro and then I drank about an ounce of barium and could see it go thru... he then pointed out to me where my band is and showed me exactly where my "pouch" is located... now i'm on liquids for today and then back to mushie food til Saturday... the best part is I could have a steak this weekend!!! :)

trust me it was less painful than a stick in the eye! :)

Best of Luck to you

IMO, it all depends on the doctor you have and each patient is different. I've had a total of 6 fills so far, and honestly, when it's time for a fill, I can't stand it. When they did my surgery they put my port in crooked, so I have to go to fluroscopy for it. She does numb me, but it takes her sooo long to find it that about half way through it, I'm unnumb already. All in all, mine take about an hour to do. IMO, not fun... at all...

Had my first one a week ago today (which is 10/29; exactly two months since my surgery) Surgeon got it on his first try. Said "just a little bee sting" and it was over in SECONDS. I didn't even feel any pressure. I drank a very small amount of Water and left the office. UNFORTUNATELY, about an hour later, I found out not even my own saliva was going down. Next morning, after a rough night running to the sink every 10-15 min) I called and they had me come right in and they took about half out. (Had lost 4 lbs since they had weighed me the day before and it was only 20 hours later.) STILL feel a tiny bit tight, but I'm "waiting to see" how things go...

Down 32 pounds since surgery. 88 to go

Had my first one a week ago today (which is 10/29; exactly two months since my surgery) Surgeon got it on his first try. Said "just a little bee sting" and it was over in SECONDS. I didn't even feel any pressure. I drank a very small amount of Water and left the office. UNFORTUNATELY, about an hour later, I found out not even my own saliva was going down. Next morning, after a rough night running to the sink every 10-15 min) I called and they had me come right in and they took about half out. (Had lost 4 lbs since they had weighed me the day before and it was only 20 hours later.) STILL feel a tiny bit tight, but I'm "waiting to see" how things go...

Down 32 pounds since surgery. 88 to go

The same thing happened to me after my 2nd fill. The rapid weight loss comes from being dehydrated. I lost 7 pounds in 2 or 3 days and, unfortunately, it was all back a week later:crying:.

As for the question about fills...they feel similar to a bee sting but not as bad. By the time I'm walking out of the office, any pain is gone.

Well it doesn't tickle. You feel a bit of pressure, but it only took one or two minutes for me. I was shocked after I had it done cause it was so quick and I said "is that it" so I would say don't stress at all.

I more nervous about having my first fill than the actual surgery, when I got to the doctor office the staff could tell by the look on my face. Anyway, he laid me down rubbed antibiotic solution on me, used an ultrasound to make sure where the port was, then inserted the needle, didn't numb me, had me sit up and drink a lot of Water. To be honest it wasn't bad at all, I will say that when they pull the needle out of the port it is a very strange feeling.