Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wooohoo I'm new :)

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to the community.

I am scheduled for the lapband on 10/13/2008.

I'd love to find someone else to chat with who may be in a similar situation. My BMI is around 36 and my weight is around 207. Up until I was 25 (I'm 37 now) my weight was around 125 and I'm 5'4. I'm not looking for sympathy here, I'm just trying to find someone else who might have lived at a normal weight then found themselves unable to loose after weight gain. I wish I could say my weight was due to childbirth, but my hubby and I are non-breeders :tongue:

Please say hello and thank you for welcoming me to the community!

Cat

Hi -

I have always been overweight so can't relate with you on that one. I have had success w/some diets but then gain it back and some. I have my surgery date on October 21...so I am about a week after you! My BMI is 33 and would love for once in my life to be a normal healthy bmi. Do you have to fast? If so, for how long?

I have also been a heffer LOL all my life so this getting thinner is a real treat for me, I love that I can finally cross my legs :tongue: But whated to say Hi and Good Luck with you upcoming life transformation

Veronica

Hi Cat, and welcome to the forum!

I'm in the "thin to thirty" crowd. I wouldn't consider myself a breeder (lol), but that's when my weight started creeping on....at first. Then it was an avalanche. Even now, it takes me by surprise when I accidental see my reflection in a store window, for instance, because I just can't believe how big I've gotten. I

hope, in a year, my reflection will startle me, because I won't be able to believe how thin I've gotten. :tongue:

Hi, I am 5'3" and weigh 230. I am waiting on approval right now, but I was 125 before I married my husband then once we got married I gained a little weight but not much it was right after I had my kids back to back (they are 16 months apart) I gained and could not lose it at all I tried everything. So here I am at 35 and am very excited to find out if I have been approved or not. So we are sort of in the same boat her. Good Luck! Hope you do well

I can certainly relate to you, I was always around 125 until I had kids (actually weighed 114 on my wedding day at 23) in my early 30's, but can't say its the baby weight because my first child is 26! I just haven't been able to control my weight for the past 26 years and was so sick of yoyo dieting. I tried every diet out there and couldn't lose more than 10-20 lbs on my own, then when I gave up, gained those pounds back plus another 10! I finally reached 209 lbs and heard about lap band. I just had my surgery last week, 9/24, and am doing great! I lost 10 lbs the first week and am so looking forward to my new life. My BMI was 41 and I'm only 5'1". I can't wait to see myself shrinking a little more each week and that's what will happen to you too, Cat. Good luck!!

hey ctoyooka

i am ashamed to say what i weighed when i got married. (95lbs-38 yrs ago)

i am 4'9 and weigh 205. when i got married i was 4' 11. don't know what happened!!!!:lol:

i am on 11 medicines. hope to get rid of most of them when i have my surgery.

by the way, i finally got my dr. appt. it's oct 8. i'm getting nervous. my poor ole stomach has been burning ever since they told me this morning.

Wooowzers thanks for the greetings all :)

I'm thankful to everyone who responded and shared their stories.

I actually remember a time when I was around 24 when I totally believed that I would stay at 125. After all, I had been through a ton of stess with personal issues and thought if I was going to gain weight, it would have been during those times.....holy crap, how wrong I was.

Back story...I'm one of 3 daughters and I am the youngest but have always been the tallest and biggest. My middle sister has had 3 kids and she weighs under 90 pounds.....that means I'm over 2x her size..gaaaah.

My other sister is around 120, but I'm also half Japanese so she definately has a more petitie asian type of body. And here I am looking huge next to them. I always have anxiety when I know family visits are nearing. One thing I'm kinda worried about is my boob shrinkage. I'm seriously a 38dddd (g) and and scared my boobs are going to end up looking like hanging udders, lol.....sorry for the graphic. Anyone have any non-plastic surgery tips for this one?

Thanks again for saying hi and I look forward to shrinking with you guys.

hey ctoyooka

mine have already fallen and can't get up. ha ha i'm a 38 C that's a lot to carry around on my short body.

i am one of nine children. 6 of us girls and 3 boys.

i'm not the heaviest but i am the runt of the bunch

hope i lose some of my boobs. maybe when i start shrinking weight wise, they will shrink up and not sag, i wish!!!!

Hi there! This is my first post. I'm ashamed to say that up until about 4 years ago I weighed about 110 pounds. I now weigh 208 pounds and I'm 5' 2''. I have been struggling this whole time with my weight. My BMI is about 38. Do you think I would be a candidate for the surgery?

hi anne4433

welcome! :tt2:

i think you would be a candidate for surgery. which one are you going to have? i plan on having lap band. get to see my dr. the 8th. can hardly wait. have you talked to your regular dr. about this. my regular dr. is the one that suggested that i have surgery. he wanted me to have the RNY bypass and i told him no.

there are a lot of people on this site who could give you names of bariatric drs. to go to. good luck on what ever you choose

Greetings LilBit and Anne!

Isn't it soooo weird gaining so much weight in a short time.

Anne, I think you are a candidate for surgery. Depending on what type of insurance you have (if applicable) your BMI would need to be a minimum of 40 for it to be covered. If you have a BMI of 35 and have one or more co-morbidity factors like sleep apnea/diabetes/high blood pressure or cholesterol, you will most likely have to pay out of pocket.

My insurance didn't have obesity coverage so I am paying out of pocket, but I figure it is worth not having to hassle with insurance and doctors and it would probably end up taking many many months.

I've thought about the lapband for several months....

I had my first consult on 9/16/08 and am set for surgery on 10/13/08...my pre-op is 10/6/08.

I do feel a little silly spending so much money during the current economic situation, but I figure I'm investing in my future and people who don't like it can suck it :)

SanDiego....I think your pre-fast has a lot to do with how much you currently weigh as well as the doctor performing the surgery. 33 is a pretty low BMI and my guess is that you would have to do about a 7 day fast. The main reason they have you lose weight prior to surgery is so it decreases the size of your liver....they need to lift and move around it to place the band on your stomach. Personally, I'm doing a 7 day fast.

Let me know if I can provide any support.

Edited by ctoyooka