Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am on day 3 after being banded and everything is going great except my back pain. That was my first complaint coming out of surgery and still my complaint today. The pain is right in the middle of my back, as if it needs to pop/be adjusted. Prior to being banded I had back pain from time to time and saw a chiropractor. Is anyone else having back pain? Could it be the same pain from before and just irritated from surgery? I won't be able to see my chiropractor for some time because of the way he twists my body for the adjustments. But my back pain is so bad I am in tears. Does anyone have some suggestions? I have tried my heating pad, styrofoam back support, my hubby rubbing my back until his fingers fall off, etc...

Please let me know if any of you are experiencing this. I am enjoying this forum and all the great advice.

GAS!!!! You are experiencing post surgery gas pain...the best cure is walk, walk, walk...you have to move so the gas can move. I had back and should pain from the gas. It will dissapate with time...use your pain meds if it gets too much for you...I took liquid tylenol for the pain because I didn't like how the prescribed pain meds made me feel. Some people get relief from Gas X strips.

I'm sorry to hear you're suffering so badly. Do you think it could perhaps be gas from the surgery that has settled there? You may want to try taking something like Gas X. You never know...it couldn't hurt and just might help. I hope so! GOOD LUCK!

I'm around 10+ days post surgery... I felt the back pain around day 5-6. But then mother nature came to visit and I just figured that was why, it went away for a couple of days and now it's back... might be gas though. I don't have an answer for you, but just thought you'd like to know some one else does have back pain. :smile2:

I do love the Gas X strips though.. they do help with the gas.:tt2:

I was banded on Aug. 22 and I had alot of back pain also. It got better after about a week but I get tried real easy still and when I do my middle back hurts bad. Gas-x does help!

Thanks so much everyone! So glad to know I am not alone! I started walking more and taking more Gas-X strips. The pain is still there but not as sharp. Been using my shiatsu massage pillow and heating pad and let the shower pound me this morning. With each day I am hoping it gets better. In the past when I have done back exercises for my back I have noticed a huge difference in the way I felt (no back pain). I just don't want to do any back exercises now because of the band. I have not had a BM (call of mother nature :tongue2:) since Monday morning and I was banded Tuesday morning (9/2) and today is Friday (9/5). That could very well be another reason. I called the docs office and they said to take Milk of Magnesia. Did any of you guys find this to help? Thanks for all the great support! I really enjoy this forum!!

I had the same problem with the BM after surgery and my Doctor's office said to take Milk of Magnesia as well. I had never taken this product before. Please do not take more than a teaspoon at a time. I took half of the dosage listed on the bottle and had a horrible result. I hope your results are better.:tongue2:

Oh man! Wish I had read this sooner or wish my doc would have mentioned cutting the dosage in half. I was worried about that. It said to take 1-2 tablespoons so I took 1tblspn @ 6pm today and it is now 9pm and my stomach is starting to hurt. I knew I should have taken a smaller dosage. Well, too late now. God be with me! :lovechoc:

Man....I'm so sorry you're hurting...I remember the pain all too well! I found relief from things like hot tea also. The shower and heating pad and of course WALKING was VERY helpful. My neighbors must have thought I was crazy cuz it was so hot when I had mine that I could only walk for a few minutes so I'd just walk to the corner and back a few times then go back out soon after! :P As for the M.O.M....yeah...full dose is rough! I regretted taking it as soon as I did, and at that I HAD taken half! Best advice on that--read on here first! I think sometimes we have better advice or suggestions than our doctors...we're the ones experiencing it and learning from doing! Good luck to you! Hang in there...it gets better every day! :lovechoc:

I was banded on the 3rd sept and my back is killing me as well. I wish it would go away, I didn't realize that it could be from gas pains. Thank you for posting.

Edited by noosagirl

Hi everyone! a chiropractor would also be a great idea for the back pain...... gas is def. one of the problems! but keeping your spine and nervous system working at optimal level keeps that back pain gone. AND keep your body workin to keep that weight falling off! And you can discuss with your chiro that you had surgery so that he can make arrangements to do different things. SOmeone said they couldnt go to the chiro after surgery bc of the twisting. They have ways to get around the twisting and popping to help with the pain. Let me know if anyone would like some exersise tips! And get a chiropractor!!!!!