Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill on Friday

I am going for my first fill this Friday and I am not really quite sure what to expect. Does it hurt? How do they know how much to add? I appreciate any advice. Thanks!!

I'm interested in this too....I'm a ways away from my first fill, but still very excited about it...

I just had my first fill last Friday . . . it was not painful at all. The doctor told me that from much experience . . . they always go slow. This is why it takes 2-3 adjustments before the band actually does what it is suppose to. I was given 2.5 cc of saline . . . some people are given 3 cc on their first fill. I go back for my second fill the end of this month . . . I am looking forward to it. I want this band to be the tool that I signed up for . . . and presently it is not.

I am going for my first fill this Friday and I am not really quite sure what to expect. Does it hurt? How do they know how much to add? I appreciate any advice. Thanks!!

I had my first fill on Aug. 20th. I went in expecting it to hurt. It was completely painless. The PA poked around to find my port, wiped my belly with alcohol, I put my arms over my head and looked at the ceiling. Then she stuck me, and put the fill in. I didn't feel the "stick" at all. She only put 2ccs in and it felt "weird". I sat up and she gave me Water to drink. It wouldn't go all the way down, so she had to stick me again to do an unfill. She took 1 cc out and left 1cc in. The ONLY thing that hurt at all was when she pulled the dang band-aid off to do the unfill. I HATE band-aids.:thumbup: The fill, however, was completely painless.

The first thing to do is stop worrying. If you didn't know they were going to use a needle you would think the Fluid just went in my osmosis. I do know that some people have problems but that is the rare few and the tension you hold by worrying doesn't help the procedure. I am in and out in 5 minutes. Three fills and never a problem. I now have 2.5 in a 4cc band and I don't think I will need a fill for quite a while. Just think of the people that have to get insulin shots everyday and because you have the band you may never find yourself in that predicament. So take it easy and don't forget to breathe.

Blessings,

Sally

The first thing to do is stop worrying. If you didn't know they were going to use a needle you would think the Fluid just went in my osmosis. I do know that some people have problems but that is the rare few and the tension you hold by worrying doesn't help the procedure. I am in and out in 5 minutes. Three fills and never a problem. I now have 2.5 in a 4cc band and I don't think I will need a fill for quite a while. Just think of the people that have to get insulin shots everyday and because you have the band you may never find yourself in that predicament. So take it easy and don't forget to breathe.

Blessings,

Sally

Hey Sally I was wondering about fills too so i was interested in hearing responses and i have to be honest the tone in your response is kinda rude. I almost never complain to anyone but Hopea never asked how do they get the saline into our bands so the osmosis comment was completly unnecesary. I think she ( like me) was wondering is it painful, what should we look out for, etc. You are a more senior bandster so we are looking to you guys for advise. I dont have the confidence you have with your band just yet so please be patient with newbies like us :thumbup:

I in no way trying to start a fight i just wanted to share my thoughts.

Hey Sally I was wondering about fills too so i was interested in hearing responses and i have to be honest the tone in your response is kinda rude. I almost never complain to anyone but Hopea never asked how do they get the saline into our bands so the osmosis comment was completly unnecesary. I think she ( like me) was wondering is it painful, what should we look out for, etc. You are a more senior bandster so we are looking to you guys for advise. I dont have the confidence you have with your band just yet so please be patient with newbies like us :thumbup:

I in no way trying to start a fight i just wanted to share my thoughts.

As you can see from my post above, mine was completely painless, as was my friend's first fill (she was banded 2 weeks before me). I have heard some people have had problems with them finding the port. In some of those cases, they get it filled standing now and it is easier to find the port. If something happens and they have to stick more than once, ask them if they will try it standing. But, remember, for most people it is painless.

I am so sorry my post came off that way. What I was trying to say, and I guess I didn't do a very good job of it, was it didnt even seem like a needle to me. It was a little pressure and (like osmosis) I was done. I didn't mean to seem flippant, just wanted you all to know how easy it was. Tension can always make pain more intense so do your best to relax, these people are very experienced at what they do. That is the best advice I can give. Please forgive me for seeming not to care, I care very much for all of us.

Sally

i just had my first fill.my doctor numbed the area first and i didnt feel a thing. he filled 1.5 cc and i go back in 6 weeks.

Hey Sally thank you so much for your advise i think my sugar was low or something bc I totally think i toke your osmosis comment the wrong way:) Thank you so much for clarifing things I really appreciate it

I had my 1st fill yesterday...the hardest part was the nurse pushing around trying to find the port. I could tell where it was because it was still tender. I got 2cc put in and was on my way in 5 min....It doesn't hurt but I did feel the little needle prick. Piece of cake....low fat cake of course!!!!!

I had my first fill yesterday and I was very nervous about it also. But it didn't hurt at all. Just felt a tiny stick and then nothing. It feel very strange though. My doc said that there was little to no Fluid in my band at all. He put in 2cc's and told me to try that out. But unlike a lot of people on here he scheduled me to come back next week if I still no restriction and he will do another fill. In the beginning he said that he would do an adjustment as often as I felt was needed.

I'm with everyone else. First fill was entirely painless. And although I had the same experience that crzytchr had with Water not going down and having to remove some. Except my doc never removed the needle in between.

On the topic of people communicating in this thread, kudos to you guys. Apologies and explanations go a long way toward a peaceful community, and I appreciate both of your attitudes in this little confrontation.

Agreatknead, apparently, you and I have the smallest band made. My fill doctor, (not the same as my surgeon) commented on it being a better band than is typically used in the U.S. Were you banded here?

omg! when my doctor filled me he told me it could take up to 10 days to feel the restriction. about a wek later- wham! i can hardly eat much- and if i eat too much i get this awful pain and throw up almost immediately